Monday, October 26, 2015

Surfers Paradise Day 6

Here are a few photos of our room. Very comfortable.




A bathroom is off the partitioned bedroom area.


In the lift.

At Seaworld I spotted this unfamiliar bird. Anyone know what it is? I did see more than one, so they are quite common.


A dead sea critter, maybe a puffer fish?



We took a last wander around Surfers Paradise after checking out of our hotel at the usual check out time of 10 am. Along the beach front.


A beach sign.


I don't know what these trees are either. They have a mass of aerial roots. Pandanus?



Surf life saving towers are at frequent intervals along the beach. Always swim between the flags, kiddies.



Well, I'll be. A thong vending machine.


Here comes our tram after we collected our cases from the hotel.


At the tram terminus we changed to this limited express bus to continue on to the airport. While the tram and bus don't connect, we were just lucky a bus was about to leave when we arrived. I don't know what the two trips cost but for both of us, less than $10 and I doubt you could have done it much quicker in a car, as against $60 in a taxi or over $50 for two from memory on an airport express bus from Surfers.


A nice outlook while we had some lunch at the airport. Our plane from Melbourne arrived nearly an hour late and left about the same time late. We arrived in Melbourne forty minutes late. It was disappointing that our Tiger Airways experience wasn't perfect and I would have been feeling very sour had we not have been upgraded to exit row seats with much more leg room, especially important to the 184cm tall R. At least with only economy class, you are not subjected to walking past first and business class when you board.



There is not much more to say, except an observation. In Melbourne we are used to our service people being foreign born, such as in shops, taxis, public transport, guards and hotel workers. Not so in Surfers Paradise where most people were either Anglo Australians or of English/Euro heritage.

26 comments:

  1. Pandanus tree yes. My guess on the bird, some kind of honey eater with the olive plumage, but the blue head doesn't look familiar. My guess on the fish, either dead or playing dead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thanks. I am fairly sure the fish was dead and not acting.

      Delete
  2. Andrew , I agree with you the room is big and comfortable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, not flash, but comfortable.

      Delete
  3. Nice room. A thong vending machine! Seem to be vending machines for everything now. Your trip to the airport was very affordable for the both of you. I feel like I've been to the Gold Coast now. Where will you take us next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I hope you realise it is our version of a thong and not yours. No idea where next.

      Delete
  4. Your trip to the airport sounds like very good value.
    Love the room, and the honeyeater.
    Chuckling at the thong vending machine. And thinking of our American friends' reaction if they heard the term...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, I can see some American readers doing a double take.

      Delete
  5. Amused at the thong machine...handy though for up there..
    Room looks rather nice..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, except every second shop sold them too. Useful for a late at night thong disaster, I think.

      Delete
  6. The thong vending machine, what a good idea nothing worse than a blown out thong..
    The Yanks would be a bit confused.
    Merle......................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, the Americans are probably the ones that go up to the machine to have a good look.

      Delete
  7. Very clever of the local government to put in trams and 16 tram stops from Gold Coast University Hospital. The peaceful and gliding trams look perfect in a beach resort.

    I saw the Surfers Paradise trams for the first time early this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, such a nice way to travel, rather than getting thrown around in a bus that you are not sure where it is going.

      Delete
  8. I love the thong dispenser. :) We could do with one of those here, for all the barefoot people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, not me but some people really like to go barefoot. I find every little stone hurts my feet.

      Delete
  9. Bird could be a blue-faced honeyeater:

    http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Entomyzon-cyanotis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, I think you are correct. The coverage map indicates it can be found here, but I have never seen one. Of course I could have searched myself at a site I am quite familiar with, but I like people to share what they know.

      Delete
  10. I've heard of those thing vending machines; they'd be handy up there, but probably not so much down here.
    I haven't a clue about the bird or the trees, I'm sure someone else will know.
    This seems to be one of those holidays where you are sad to leave such beauty, yet glad to get home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think we have established the trees are Pandang Palms and the bird a blue faced honey eater. If we were stay any longer, we would really have needed to venture away from the Gold Coast. I get bored easily.

      Delete
  11. I love that thong vending machine. Where I came from in the States, we DID call them thongs as opposed to flip-flops (well, at least I did). So glad smart people answered the tree and bird questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, maybe the other thong is a US west coast thing.

      Delete
  12. Hmmm! That was an interesting observation at the end there Andrew, wonder what that's all about? I was waiting for a coup!e of tram shots and you didn't let me down :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I should think that recent immigrants don't head for that part of Queensland. I didn't really take many tram shots. I should have taken some interior photos, but it was always so busy.

      Delete
  13. I made friends laugh last week when I mentioned Australian use of the word thong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, it is funny how some Americans use the word thong as footwear and others are completely ignorant of this alternative meaning.

      Delete