Thursday, October 22, 2015

Surfers Paradise Day 4 Part 2

Now this is a serious ride, a very tall take them up and drop them machine. It caused much screaming and the girls screamed too.


Batman car?


Absolutely no idea what this is about.


Ohhh, more than a ninety degree angle. Now we will see who had what for lunch.


The Joker, but I don't know what Arkham Asylum is.


We were near where this ride began. There would be a hydraulic movement sound as something activated and then from out of a tin structure the carriage shot out.


We were up the top end of the park now where it was quiet and honestly, a bit spooky.



This ride was the absolutely the worst to watch, with riders being upside down and at many different angles while suffering a lot of gravity force.




Back to near the entrance. Hello Officer.


I do at least know Batman.


If I was tempted by any ride, it would be this one. A boat like carriage disappears into the mountain for a few minutes.


The carriage emerges at speed and whee, down it comes.


And then disappears in a blast of water.



The water falls away to expose the thrillseekers.


Some victims would be grinning and laughing, some with a shocked look on their faces and some with the jaws clenched and face muscles tight.


A rather thin Marilyn impersonator.



Stunt cars R? Must we? While we waited in the stands, much fun was had with the screen and a camera. One man lifted his phone to take a snap of himself on the screen and immediately he disappeared from the screen. A second later he reappeared and again raised his phone to snap himself and again he disappeared. This was repeated a few times and the crowd was laughing heartily.


The show was very good. It was not just cars burning rubber. We were part of making a movie. Some from the crowd were hauled out as participants and their parts filmed. The crowd in the stands was just that. With some swift editing, by the end of the show we had a movie about a young car race driver who travels to the city to compete in a major car race for the prize money to save his father's farm from a mortgage foreclosure. His principal competitor is of course a bad guy.




One of the last scenes is a car hitting a petrol bowser, causing an explosion and a fire. It gave me a bit of a fright when it happened and I was too slow to catch the explosion with the camera. The show was really good fun and not just for car hoons.


A bus back to Surfers was due at 2.35 and after a short wait it arrived. While not packed, there were people standing. I knew the bus stopped along the way near a tram station, but the route had been altered because of the erection of grandstands and fencing for a forthcoming car race in the streets. I did spot a tram station and by changing to the tram, we would not have to walk so far back to the hotel. We jumped off the bus and a tram was just arriving. We sprinted and made it onto the tram and then realised we had not touched our Go Cards on before we boarded. At home the practice is to touch on once on the tram, not before you board. In spite of us having seen a lot of ticket checkers, we got away with it for just one stop to Cypress Avenue, which turned out to be closer to our hotel that the one in Surfers proper that we had been using. 

We had a late lunch at the hotel cafe and then a rest before taking our daily beach stroll. After a pre dinner drink in our room and we wandered the streets looking for a restaurant that appealed to us. I would have liked some Thai food but such places in the centre of Surfers seemed in short supply. The couple of Chinese places did not appeal and we ended up at an Italian place where we had a terrific pizza served on what looked like a cake stand. The bottle of wine was expensive but excellent and rounded off a good day.

Oh yes, remember the lad with blue hair who was at the same hotel where we dined the previous evening? We saw him twice today, once in a Surfers shop and then again at Movie World, still with his phone glued to his ear.


21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. John, it was only a few hours and I am not good at sitting around drinking tea, as some are from your fair island.

      Delete
  2. great place to entertain yourself. I love the main entrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, entrances must always impress.

      Delete
  3. I'm with John Gray. That was a very tiring expedition.
    Did any of the thrillseekers look as if they had fun when they were released from their rides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, plenty of happy faces.....remembering those on thrill rides were all young.

      Delete
  4. There's not enough money in the world to ever get me on one of those dangerous thrill seeking rides. I might try the train through the mountain into the water one.
    Funny about the tram touch-on system, you'd think a standardised national system would be in place. Board the tram, touch your ticket. That's what we do here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there is an amount of danger as from time to time things go wrong. But I don't like being thrown around. Because they have so few stops for the tram, they have built large well equipped shelters with plenty of information and ticket machines. I guess they decided it was better to do it that way.

      Delete
  5. What fun but i wouldn't go on one of those rides..
    Batman always a favourite...was there years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I liked the old Batman tv series and not watched anything related since.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Big Day Out, huh??!! It looks like they've upgraded the audience participation movie making show - sounds great! You've done something in Surfers that I NEVER did - public transport!! Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, public transport is ok for a week in SP but any longer, you do need a car to travel further afield. Car rental is very cheap there.

      Delete
  7. I was going to say I am way too old to go in any ride that is too steep, too fast or too dangerous. But hey... I would not have at 18, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, there was a time I would go on anything. Now I won't go on anything.

      Delete
  8. You certainly made the most of your stay Andrew. It's not that long ago, well maybe longer than I'd like to admit :), that I would have been on those rides like a flash.. oh OK, that's not even a wee bit true :) Do you think the blue haired lady was stalking you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it was a lad, not a lady who had blue hair.

      Delete
    2. Yep I knew that but my iPad decided it was a lady , grrrr hate it when it changes my words :)

      Delete
  9. What a fun ride, through the mountain and out again, in under the water fall too. You should have gone! The other rides look seriously vomit inducing. Or would kick in my vertigo, I bet. Maybe not. Sounds like a good time there, all those shows and things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I don't like getting wet. I would have had to hire a locker for phone, camera and wallet. Too much bother.

      Delete
  10. I would have loved to watch but certainly not participate ! I had once been on a rollercoaster and was green when I tumbled out !
    BTW I see that you answer the comments in the comments ! But I never go back to a blog once I have commented. That would take too much time. Reading and commenting on 10 blogs would mean 10 times to come back and see if there is an answer ! which makes 20 ! Can't you please send me per mail an answer if you have one ? I still don't get your comments in my mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, yes I do answer comments, but you probably won't be reading this. It does not take too long as I receive comments direct to my email and I realise so do you but don't receive mine. I've logged in with a different email address now so will see if that makes a difference.

      Delete