Monday, October 19, 2015

Surfers Paradise Day 3 Pt 1

Surfers Paradise has always been proclaimed a place for family holidays and yes, there were a lot of families around. Ideally we would not have chosen to go to the theme park Seaworld on a Sunday but we had limited time and had already paid a three for the price of one ticket to attractions. We knew we would only visit two places and Seaworld was the first. So far as I could establish, it was a 900 metre walk from the nearest bus stop and given we were on our feet a lot and would be walking around the park, we decided to get a taxi. The fare was only $15 but why not have a proper bus service to the entrance? There was an entrance queue but it moved quickly. We are like so many tourists and generally set out from our hotel between 10 and 11, just like everyone else does.

A monorail circles the park and we used it to get to the top of the park for the 11 o'clock dolphin show. Grrr, just seeing the name Bjelke-Petersen makes my skin crawl; the bible bashing, corrupt and ultra conservative bastard he was.



As I said yesterday, I am not fussed on monorails but since then I did hear of one in Japan that travels at 70 km/h.


It wasn't a bad way to get an overview of the park. Later there would be a jet ski show on this lake.



Scary rides, but not as scary as the ones we would see the following day.


Whatever you think of shows using live animals for human entertainment, the dolphin show is not to be missed.


The area where most of the action happened from.


Just amazing creatures. Not too often am I pleased with my camera but it did ok here. Mind, I took a lot duds too.




This lad riding on a dolphin back.


And being propelled high into the air.


Yes, quite a few people there. There was some extra amusement for the crowd with a couple of silly old audience blokes dancing.


It was time for some lunch adjacent to this attraction. The pirate boats sail around on tracks and surrounding the water are water guns and of course there are water guns on board the boats. People were getting very wet as the guns had a range of more than five metres.



The boat was approaching us. I turned around and saw there was water on the paving behind me, so I stepped back. R did not and  received a thorough soaking. It was great fun.


An ibis joined us for lunch. We saw a number of them but they are not in plague proportions as you see in Sydney.


Kiddies feeding the dolphins.


Cute penguins. More penguins tomorrow.



25 comments:

  1. I used to work at a Sea World in Ohio. I'm pretty sure it's gone now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, maybe because of animal welfare issues? Parks like this have to really be at the top of animal care to survive. Any hint of cruelty or neglect and they will quickly fail. They also need to keep reinventing themselves with fresh attractions.

      Delete
  2. Oooh penguins. I will be back.
    You are right about the animal care issues. I am torn about it. I don't like to see them do things they wouldn't naturally do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is a hard call but I like River's view below. Hooved type critters are more problematic for me.

      Delete
  3. I'm enjoying the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Seaworld! Yes, I know it's all glitz and Americana, but some of the sights are sensational! Way back when I last went there, there was a ban on taking your own food in, with overpriced crap food choices once inside. Hope that's changed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, yes I think it has changed. How can the place stop you bringing in food. They can't search your bags. The food was on the expensive side, but not overly so.

      Delete
    2. Disney World searches your bags. But they do allow food.

      Delete
  5. I firmly believe the dolphins enjoy performing. They get up to the same kinds of high jinks out in the wild, coming close to ships and shores to interact with humans. The fish rewards they get is just a bonus for them.
    I love the colourful beach shacks at the dolphin arena.
    "...a couple of silly old audience blokes dancing." Was that you and R? ;)
    Those Pirate boats look like tremendous fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think you are right about dolphins. It seemed like fun to them. No, we did not dance, but the blokes who did were great. Nothing like audience participation, as long as it not you. Actually I did once get involved in audience participation in a gay bar, but you don't want to know.

      Delete
  6. It has changed since we were there. I believe its quite expensive now. Glad you had fun. I love watching the dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it is around $100 but that included entry to the four same related theme parks. Family ticket, I don't know, but I am sure it would not be so much more and how your grand children would enjoy it

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness Andrew, this is reminding me of a September school hols back in 1979 when I took some of our kids to Surfers. The dolphins and the water skiers did the exact same things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, everything changes, but not that much it seems. I expect Surfers itself is quite different to how you remember it. Did you take photos?

      Delete
  8. I've only ever been once to Sea World- that was a trip many, many years ago as a side day trip from Disney in Florida. I remember very little other than it was hot as blue blazes, the kids were whiny and we did get sprayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri, we are on different continents and your Seaworld place is different to ours, but nevertheless, an interesting memory.

      Delete
  9. Just seeing the name Bjelke-Petersen makes my skin crawl as well, and I hadn't seen or thought of that premier in decades :( Ultra conservative was right, but did you add corrupt as well? Oh yes, you did :)

    Those were the days when I was ashamed that Queensland was in the Federation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I think of him often enough and how it took Queensland so long to regain respect after his rule. Lordy, do you remember the also corrupt Russ Hinze? I noted on a map that there is a dam named after him.

      Delete
  10. You took some great action photos. Glad you had fun, even though R got soaked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Strayer. It was warm and he did not really care but he did get wetter than he thought.

      Delete
  11. Haha! Poor R getting soaked, didn't you have time to warn him Andrew :) You took fab pics of the dolphins in action, nice work :) Did you guys go on any of the scary rides? Going up to check latest post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Grace, we are just a bit too old now.

      Delete
  12. I feel very confused and torn about the Sea World thing. People are saying it's horrible, and there's that documentary I haven't watched yet. I don't know if the complaints are valid, or if the people who are against Sea World would be against any type of zoo or animal attraction.

    I have no problem with most zoos, so should I have a problem with Sea World?

    Anyway...glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, I really doubt that there could be welfare issues there. People couldn't work with the animals without caring for them. There is a bigger question about keeping animals captive, but I think from the spiel about dolphin deaths from pollution to impressionable kids, more good than harm comes from a few dolphins in captivity.

      Delete