Friday, October 30, 2015

Some stupid game

Dear ABC,

I could have worn the coverage of some important rugby match on 7.30, your national evening current affairs programme. I would have just tuned out, in fact I did, and I do recognise this is a national programme and it is of interest to people in more than one state.

What I am annoyed about is extensive coverage on Victoria's state tv news. I don't where the Wallabies are based, I don't know what sort of rugby they play, league or union, I don't know any of the players or any of the other people involved in the sport. I watched the story with glazed eyes and I was none the wiser after. Is this a national team? You didn't say. Is it league or union? You didn't say. Most Victorians would be the same and it is of no interest at all to me, and I expect most Victorians. There is an increasing tendency to force rugby on Victorians and I don't like it.

If you were a commercial tv station, I would suggest rugby is paying you to provide coverage, but that would not happen at my ABC. So why force such irrelevances upon us? Surely there must have some bad boi behaviour by an Aussie Rules player to report?

Just to note while I am bashing my ABC that I love dearly, I stopped listening to Richard Stubbs because there was just too much music and the discussion of such, I did not mind him as a broadcaster and some of his work on war matters was brilliant and I do respect him as a good broadcaster and it is sad to see him retire from his afternoon radio position. Good luck to you Richard.

Thanks,
Andrew. (who thinks my 12 cents a day? is generally well spent)

Later edit: But wait, another ten minutes on tonight's 7.30. I have kind of connected things now, in so far as it is Twickenham in England and maybe an Australian team is playing a New Zealand team in a final. The sport looks very rough, with players charging into each other, so maybe that is rugby union?

22 comments:

  1. Andrew, Australian Wallabies are Union.
    Don't follow it either.
    I just watched 7.30 report, that segment seemed to go for ages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes, as I was just hitting publish, there it was again on the screen. At least now I have some understanding of what it is about. My sportsmaster made us play rugby union at school. I would step out of the way before anyone crashed into me, like I would move away from any ball I saw coming towards me.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, you are right now TV broadcast too much ads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I bet it worse here than in your country.

      Delete
  3. Sports programmes are a great cure for insomnia...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't know Jac. I never watch them and neither does R.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you Andrew.. As far as I'm concerned there's only one ball sport...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Grace, you really are a shocking tease. Keep it up.

      Delete
  6. I don't mind watching a bit of sport on TV but It just gets too much coverage especially football. Of course as we are hosting the World Rugby Cup here in the UK I am totally fed up of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, that may well be what I am talking about. Different if it is tennis, I expect!

      Delete
  7. One time I timed ads in an hour show. It was unbelievable how little "show" time there was, compared to ads, sometimes five in a row. Here, sports, particularly football, is shoved down our throats. I get only a few channels on antenna, but some nights, all three major networks, all that is on, is this or that football game. I hate it! That's when off goes the TV and I find a book, or count gray hairs, anything but football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, Australia compared to the UK is a shocker for tv ads, at times seeming to be nearly half a programme, but it was worse in New York, to the point where we stopped knowing whether it was tv or ads we were watching. It all just blended together.

      Delete
  8. Sport (almost all of it) glazes my eyes over and switches off both my brain cells. I hit the off button and amble away. Or, if himself is home, just walk away.
    I agree with you about the twelve cents though. I am happy to pay it - even when I am not watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I feel compelled to be an Aussie Rules supported, not that I watch it, but I do follow it to know what the bad boys of the game are up to.

      Delete
  9. Poor Andrew having to be exposed to something of interest to people whose world extends beyond St Kilda, Carlton and Footscray.

    Never mind, the Melbourne Cup is around the corner followed by the Boxing Day test and normal transmission of Victoria as the world capital of sport will be restored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, go on, call me for what I am, an inner city latte sipping leftie. I respect your game.........no I respect your appreciation of alternatives to Aussie Rules, but why is your sport being forced on us? Don't forget the best of all, the Australian Open, that creates such a great atmosphere for a couple of weeks.

      Delete
    2. I suppose I have somewhat ignored us forcing AFL on you.

      Delete
    3. He needs no encouragement, James.

      Delete
  10. Aah that is funny. I am not a rugby follower myself either, but yes the Wallabies are our national team. I do believe I heard some discussion on my ABC radio Grandstand show about Rugby trying to move into new markets like Victoria. Sport is not sport anyway Andrew ~ it is all money-making business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you listen to Grandstand? How disappointing. You are correct, it is just big business now. Gone are the days of allegiance to a local area and a club.

      Delete