Thursday, October 08, 2015

R's Thursday

Thursday is R's day for taking Mother out. If it is my day off from work, he generously suggests I need the time on my own and don't have to accompany him.

But when I am on holidays, it is a fair call that I go too. R has his visit down pat, depart home at 10am, fill the car with petrol on the way and arrive at Mother's at 11. By 11.30 they have an early lunch, then it is Mother shopping where R firmly calls an end to shopping at 3.00 and usually gets home at 4.00 or shortly after.

This Thursday there was no getting out of for me. I had to go and after lunch R drove me back to Mother's to attend to her list of jobs. I cleaned her air con filters, which badly needed doing. I cleaned her exhaust fan covers, which badly needed doing. I cleaned the kitchen and dining room windows, which weren't so dirty. The house is falling apart but I was careful when cleaning the windows that have barely any putty left to hold them in.  I emptied the vacuum cleaner, which did not need doing. I put the bins out. I cleaned the glass in her wall pictures.

Then I noticed a cob web on the ceiling so I found a broom to clean it away. One cob web was connected to others and whole sheets of cobwebs started falling from the ceilings of ever room I entered. It was like winding fairy floss around a stick as I removed all the webs.

When I was knee deep up to my arms in greasy exhaust fan cleaning, R rang. I can't find your mother, he said, after he returned from dropping me off. Look in the newsagent, I said. She will be buying a 70th birthday card. I later learnt I was right, but she was supposed to be at the bank when R returned.

R returned with Mother from shopping by 2.30. I was amazed that they returned so early. R told me in car on the way home that Mother was really spritely today.

I showed Mother the broom choked with cobwebs and she laughed and said, I am like my mother in my old age. I don't see the dirt. (note to blogmates, if I ever get like that, please shoot me).

After a lunch sandwich at the cafe I was still a little peckish and chose a hummingbird cake. It was just ok, in spite of me not really knowing what it is. R and Mother had scones, jam and cream. Mother asked if there was sugar in the scones. R replied no, you don't put sugar in scones. I replied, typical of you Mother, you never made us scones and so you don't know. Not true she said. I used to make them every Sunday afternoon but you had moved on by then. Probably quite true.

Then I went into reminiscing mode. Remember when Grandma made scones? She would have flour from one end of the kitchen to the other. Father when he built his mother in law's house he included a slide out pastry board but Grandmother never used it. It was a bloke type invention who had no idea of flour falling off a drawer sized board and onto the floor.  Grandma was a good cook but oh, the mess in the kitchen she made. If we were lucky she would make a pie in a dish with a china steam vent planted in the middle.

I loved my grandma. I don't miss her now, but I remember her as been the kindest person ever in my life.

18 comments:

  1. We used to call those china steam vents 'pie birds'. We still do, in fact, and a local pottery still makes them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, yes I have seen them in kitchenware shops. I didn't know they were called a pie-bird.

      Delete
  2. http://claycitypottery.com/catalog-accessories.html If you scroll down the page you'll see a pie bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum had a pie-bird too, just remembered :) Gosh R is so good taking your mum out every Thursday, I bet she really looks forward to it. Did you find any spiders in those webs Andrew, or had they vacated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does look forward to it, Grace. The world would end if he didn't do it now. Only found a couple of daddy long legs.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if my son will come round and do my cleaning. Well done to you both( especially R of course) for giving your Mum a weekly date to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, you must begin now to working him towards it by showing a little less independence.

      Delete
  5. I am not sure if I should admit it, but I have a pie-bird. It is a while since I have used it, but I have it.
    You and R are very good to your mama. I am impressed. And remember my mother's kitchen (known in the family as the botulism factory) and shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is not using it that you should be concerned about admitting. Generally she is very clean around the house, with what she can do and see.

      Delete
  6. It is comfortable situation wjhen your friend spend time with your mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed this, A.

    It is great that you give and even greater that R gives your mother such attention and help, and she needn't know about your occasional letting off of steam about it here, need she?

    In my experience it is always easier to spot built-up housekeeping defects in other people's places than in one's own, where they creep up on you (I mean: on "one") undetected. I remember as a child it was always more fun (or less unfun) to go to a friend's place to help tidy up the friend's bedroom than to tidy up my own. Even now when my sister comes to stay from London she embarks on a little domestic crusade against her own particular domestic bugbears in my own housekeeping though, God knows (and I know) she is far from a domestic goddess in her own domain. I don't mind it so long as she keeps the reproach level down (something biblical about log and mote and eyes comes to mind here).

    Perhaps we should all have a housework fairy partner with whom we exchange visits for this purpose. - Maybe you don't need one but I could certainly do with one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, it is quite satisfying to clean someone else's home rather than the boring repetition of cleaning your own. We don't do general cleaning for Mother, just special jobs. Sister and Bone Doctor are very untidy, so there is usually plenty to do at their house but at times it is a matter of where would I start! As I work and R is retired, he now does most of the cleaning, which I don't mind at all.

      No family member knows of or reads my blog, that I know of anyway and only one person who I am friends with and I knew before the blog began. Hope to keep it that way.

      Delete
    2. "Where would I start?" (evil grin here) Start at the front door with a wide broom, push everything through the house and out the back door into a dumpster. :)

      Delete
  8. You are a very good son. So few would do that for their moms. Good man, Andrew, and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, we all do our bit for her in different ways. To do otherwise would be unthinkable.

      Delete
  9. It's not so much that we don't see the dirt, more that we don't care as much.
    My mum never had a pie-bird, instead she used a knife point to poke pretty patterns in the pastry and the steam escaped that way. I do the same thing now and so do my kids. Well, three of them, the other one buys his pies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like scones and jam and cream now!

    ReplyDelete