Monday, October 05, 2015

Musical Monday

Joining with River for Musical Monday.

I just heard a little of this on the radio. I suppose I must have heard it before as it sounded familiar. I quite liked it and noted the name of the singer when it was back announced. His name is Tanita Tikram. That sounded a bit of a girlie name for a bloke, but no mistaking the voice, it is a bloke, so I thought.

Go to You Tube to have a listen. A still on the clip with a female picture. Some googling is required. Oh, it is a woman. Tikram is a British performer who was born in Munster, Germany. I am hopeless. The song was released in 1988 and I've just noticed it. Wikipedia says she has a husky voice, I'll vouch for that, and her lyrics are poetic and somewhat obscure.

Tanita Tikram with Twist in my Sobriety.



Later edit: It will probably only Australians will know of the entertainer Kamahl, but as per a comment by James, Tanita is Kamahl's niece.

17 comments:

  1. it was very popular at my place. i love it . simply great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I guess you do hear lots of Euro pop in Poland.

      Delete
  2. Yes I know the song, but did not realise that is who sang it. Never heard of her. You will have me searching now to see if anyone else has sung it. It has a real KD Lang feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I think KD would do it good justice.

      Delete
  3. I am not sure what gender I would have assigned the singer if I had heard it before I read your post...
    Carol is right about KD Lang though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes once you know it is a female, it sounds like a female, but in complete ignorance I did not think that. Sadly it seems KD has not recorded it.

      Delete
  4. I have heard of it. Has a good beat, can say I danced from the dinning room to the kitchen whilst listening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Margaret. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. Bit of trivia - her uncle is Kamahl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. She did look a bit Indian to me.

      Delete
    2. Her brother is an actor too and was on memorable dramas This Life and The Buddah of Suburbia.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I read he was an actor but I didn't follow through. I used to enjoy This Life and to my surprise after just checking, it was broadcast in the mid nineties.

      Delete
    4. One further bit of trivia. I'm a great fan of the Liza Minelli/Pet Shop Boys album, "Results". Liza covered the song on that album also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezKCBcUimxY

      Delete
    5. Omg, I am sure Liza and the Pet Shop Boys was the last vinyl I bought. An EP of.....can't remember. I am off to bed this instant to listen to it.

      Delete
    6. And who could forget Egg in This Life.

      Delete
  6. I remember this, although I'd forgotten until hearing it today. I also thought it was a male singer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you remember the song. I can't even do that well, but if you remember not so long ago, Billy Idol's White Wedding was a revelation to me and you already knew it well.

      Delete