Sunday, October 04, 2015

Heard on a tram

There must be a majority of Aborigines who live perfectly normal white Australian type lives, or traditional and semi traditional lives and they go unnoticed. However there is a very visible Aborigine, seen on the street, at times drunk and in Melbourne they can often be seen on the tram between the city and St Kilda, specifically the Gatwick boarding house. You can see how other people on the tram cringe when a loud and drunk few board a tram. It is eyes down to your phone or book, stare distantly out the window or discreetly move if they sit near you, lest you are inveigled into absurd conversation.

Often the women are louder and more belligerently vocal than the men (less drunk?) And so I found myself sitting on the seat behind such a trio, two blokes with one woman, all slovenly dressed. Earlier I had noticed a black guy with a white girl board the tram. They were now unfortunately now sitting in front of seemingly drunk aborigines. He was very handsome and I had no idea of his origins. He was not tall and did not look African but nor did he look Indian. He may even have been Aboriginal too. I did not see his face for long but he had a wide nose. The girl he was with was also attractive, both dressed in the height of stylish casual fashion.

I was torn between shrinking down into my seat or slapping my hand over my mouth to cover my smirking when the Aboriginal woman said to one of her companions as the couple rose to leave the tram at the next stop,

"Hey Charlie, you'd be right with 'er. She likes a bit o' black dick". Probably you had to be there, but I was in equal measure horrified and amused.

If you are reading this, a two night and three day visit by Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo has taken its toll and Sunday Selections may appear later or may not at all.

24 comments:

  1. Andrew definitely some people can not adjust to civilisation and I understand them.. Lately I have seen a film about native Austalians how their life is difficult to them now. I think maybe in the past their lifestyles were beter and healthier..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, pre white settlement they were assuredly healthier but I am not sure that they lived to an old age, but nor did white people back then.

      Delete
  2. I have yet to meet anyone that alcohol improves. Particularly lots of it. The results are sometimes entertaining - and often horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, as Graham Green put in one of his novels, it is the measure. A little is ok, a lot is not.

      Delete
  3. Well I could imagine the same thing coming out of a white fella/sheila mouth when they are drunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I've certainly heard worse from white fellas but it was not quite as ummmmmmmmm, interesting?

      Delete
  4. Bad behaviour crosses all genders and races

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed John and what is worse than a vicious queen.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear , what would you say to that, Well if I was the girl maybe" I sure do but the control centre has to work too."
    Then get out at the next stop.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, Merle. I didn't know you had such a good bitch tongue.

      Delete
  6. There is no reasoning or chatting normally with people drunk or high. But sometimes they say absurd things that make me want to laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it is quite rare for a sober person to amused by a drunk person, but it happens at times.

      Delete
  7. We get a few drunken aboriginals on the buses here, but most of them speak quietly and behave themselves knowing our drivers are allowed to evict them or call the police if necessary, I suppose. The most offensive thing I find is the reek of stale alcohol coming from them. In warmer weather they mostly walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, in general alcohol seems to cause people to not worry about personal hygiene. Some people ooze alcohol from their skin, some nicotine and some garlic, which is pretty awful too.

      Delete
  8. There is nothing worse than a drinker, especially a public drinker. But one of my cousins was a fall down drunk, so I am no position to comment :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, at least fall down drunks tend to pass out, which is a blessing for all around.

      Delete
  9. I've yet to meet anyone whose wit or intelligence is improved by large amounts of intoxicants. No doubt those same folk would disagree with me, vociferously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right Jac. Some alcohol can make reserved people much more outgoing and less reserved people very entertaining.

      Delete
  10. I can't stop laughing, that tickled my fancy.
    Blacks are known to be loud when they talk, in fact they yell..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you saw the humour in it Margaret. No one else seemed to be amused. Oh yes, her voice was not pianissimo. No one could pretend to have not heard her.

      Delete
  11. I think it may have brought a slight smile Andrew, discreetly in order not to draw attention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wry grin perhaps Grace.

      Delete
  12. There are often strange or not very elegantly behaving people in public transports. It makes me rather laugh, and I am amused at least I have something to tell, just like you now, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I like observing people on public transport when I am comfortably seated. I hate when I have to stand.

      Delete