Saturday, October 31, 2015

Along the Merri Creek

After my last big walk, following the route of the Outer Circle Railway, I asked whether my next walk should be along the route of the long ago disused Rosstown Railway (actually, a train never ran on it) or the banks of Merri Creek. Merrie Creek was the peoples' choice and so I plan to start it this week, around a year or more later.

How great is our London friend Marie, who has walked east to west across England, the length of The Thames and is now walking the areas of every Tube station in London. Marie is fit. I am not, so I will break my walk into digestible strolls for me where I can go and get home using public transport. Merri Creek joins Melbourne's major river, the Yarra and maybe I will then walk into the city along the Yarra. That bit would not be hard.

For me it won't be nearly as interesting as following old railway lines where I look for history and remnants. This will be more nature based I think. We shall see, won't we. Err, beginning point is somewhere near Gowrie Station. Where is that exactly? Oh. It is there! Dorothy will not be in Kansas and well out of her comfort zone. There will be bad men with guns and snakes to avoid. Hmm, how bad are the men and what would they do to me?

Later: Well, I began the walk by travelling to Gowrie Station and then catching the 530 bus to the starting point near at Mahoney's Road. I had worked out if the walk was arduous or uninteresting, I would break the journey at Mathieson Street and catch the train back to town from Merlynston Station, or if I had made good time and felt ok, I would continue to Gaffney Street, Coburg and catch the train from Batman Station.  I could have even stopped at Barkers Road and caught the 19 tram. But no. The sun was blazing hot and while I did eventually find a seat in the shade for a break, once I restarted my feet started to feel sore after walking for two hours and I broke off and caught the train back to town from Merlynston Station.

Frankly, the walk was quite uninteresting but as I will continue on to town in the future, it will become better. I will post a few photos from this first stretch in time.

In spite of the links above, which I know people will miss, Marie's website is here and her walks website is here.

17 comments:

  1. I love this theme idea and the opportunity for more exploration. Around here, I tend to do a lot of beach walks, but I need to do more of what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, nothing wrong with beach walks and you may well see more interesting things than I did :-;

      Delete
  2. you should walk much more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I should. That was a two hour walk. But it is very hard to fit into life. Something else might have to be reduced, like blogging.

      Delete
  3. I can see you will catch the walking bug before too long. I know you will find some gems to share with us all and thank you so much for the mention and links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, we do walk, just not for really long distances and not often enough. I spend so much time at work, it is hard.

      Delete
  4. I don't enjoy walking around the streets. I need a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, a neighbour here once said that to me. I like walking in an urban environment. Different houses, buildings and at times some nature thrown in.

      Delete
  5. What an interesting goal to set yourself Andrew. I would be worried about needing a loo myself on a big walk, I have been caught out in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol with my job, not a problem. A few hours is not an issue. Thinking, yes, 10am until nearly 3pm. Mind I was busting by the time I was home, but there were places I could have gone. I had a late lunch in town after the walk, you don't want to know where, and then at another place coffee.

      Delete
  6. The walks may be uninteresting, but some of the old stations (if they survived) were fascinating. I don't know the area you will be visiting, but I love Victorian and Edwardian railwayana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I have walked both the inner and outer circle railway lines and that was really interesting. There wasn't a train line where I am walking at the moment but at some point I will cross the inner circle line.

      Delete
  7. I've found lately that a two hour walk is enough for me. I feel alright while doing the walking, but on the way home on bus or tram my feet begin to hurt a bit and by next day my legs are aching from hip to calf. I went to a different beach last time and photos will be up in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is the soles of my feet that hurt, and I know that it is because I don't walk enough, because on holidays when I do walk a lot, they improve.

      Delete
  8. I like to watch in nature but not in town here, where often the sidewalks extend 20 feet and vanish, picking up again on the other side a block or two down, then suddenly ending, forcing me again into the street. Besides it's boring walking the same streets in town, dodging cars and dogs that growl at me. We don't have walking trails in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, yes, for walking you do need variety with lots of different things to observe. It seems sidewalks in the US are often an afterthought, as if the thought is, well no one will be walking.

      Delete
    2. Kind of, yes. Especially in the smaller more conservative towns.

      Delete