Friday, October 02, 2015

A loiter to the lake

We looked after Little Jo for a few hours while Sister and Bone Doctor went to the VFL football grand final. We did not want her in front of screens all afternoon, so we took her and Dog Jack for a walk to Albert Park Lake. She couldn't remember when we took her a few years ago and nor could she remember that there is a kiosk that sells icecreams.

The lake was very busy with people exercising, strolling (us) and picnicking.  A group of Moslem women huddled together chatting while a couple of teenage girls delivered their barbequed food from where the men all stood eating around the barbeque. Reminded me the Australia of the 1950s.

It is vorboten  but I did take a slice of bread for Little Jo feed the swans and other birds (swamp hens, I seem to recall).

The kiosk has just been turned into a cafe and the ice cream freezer would not be installed until the next day, so Little Jo had to make do with a milkshake and us, coffee.



People are now so used to seeing Sulphur Crested Cockatoos in the inner suburbs, no one takes much notice of them. This lonely cocky was squawking away, raising his crest, swinging 360 degrees around branches and flapping his wings and I was the only person taking an interest.


I am writing this Thursday morning and already today I have seen three black cockatoos fly past, I saw a whole flock a week ago, and a pair of  corellas. It is soon Aussie Backyard Bird Count but I don't seem to fit into any category to participate.


This different cockatoo seemed tame, unalarmed in spite of having Dog Jack on a leash as we walked past. A man was busy with tripod camera to photograph it.


It was very pleasant hour or so spent on a lovely fine day.

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day. I wonder when/if Little Jo will take an interest in football and join her mothers on football days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, she has absolutely no interest in sport nor kicking or hitting balls, much to her mothers' (sic) disappointment.

      Delete
  2. It's nice to have the parrots about they are such pretty ones. Little Jo is lucky to have you two to take care of her..
    I'm not up with the football Andrew...was wondering What Grand Final was on when you wrote this post!
    I do know the Match/Game is on tomorrow, Saturday..i will watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it was the VFL, that they AFL took over when the competition became national. The VFL, maybe the seconds, play their own games now. I finish at 3pm and I look forward to driver home with no one on the roads. Unbelievable how many Tassie Hawthorn supporters are here in Melbourne, most of them no doubt from your city.

      Delete
    2. Oh ok, now I understand Andrew. Thank you.
      Really, heaps of Tasmanian's there, oh gosh..yes would be from Launceston and the North of the State, as we have a North/South thing going here :)

      Delete
  3. It looks like a delightful day.
    Black cockatoos? A rarity here. Colour me a bit envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we don't see a lot and saw them for the first time last year. I suspect there is a food source that attracts them.

      Delete
  4. Don't you just love it when you get out like that? We get the black cockatoos when they migrate. I can't say I have seen them yet this year. Thank you for the link to the bird census.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, it was really nice. I did not even know we had black cockies here. I don't think they are migrating but I do wonder why they are here.

      Delete
  5. Albert Park Lake was always one of my favourite parts of the inner suburbs - close to home, serene, great coffee shops, great flora and fauna and super spots for wedding ceremonies and receptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, don't forget the exercise potential which so many indulge in, although I don't .

      Delete
  6. A hour in the park always good, better if it doesn't rain.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, while it didn't rain, like a true Aussie, I'll say, we need the rain.

      Delete
  7. A whole flock of black cockatoos! I'm lucky if I see just one or two every couple of years or so. I haven't seen any sulphur cresteds since last summer, and they were few enough then.
    I'm wondering how they made Little Jo's milkshake without icecream.
    You are such lovely uncles taking her and Jack for walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, just an hour ago I asked Little Jo if there was ice cream in the milk shake she had last week and she said no.

      Delete
  8. I'd never heard of a black cockatoo until reading this, then I had to look them up. Spectacular!

    I'd have given my left (insert your favourite crassness here) for uncles like you and R, lucky Little Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, I don' t know a lot about them but they seem quite different to the white ones pictured here.

      As is said, you don't know how lucky you are at times. Nothing wrong really with our parents care but children have a pretty good life as kids now.

      Delete
  9. Soooo much better than sitting playing/watching any type of electronic screen :) I haven't thought about birds flying past your windows Andrew, but now that you mention it I guess it happens quite often up there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, and bats. We are kind of on a flight corridor when there is a big road making a gap in tall buildings, so it easy for birds to fly past our place.

      Delete
  10. Such a beautiful bird wouldn't be ignored for long here, you can only see it in a zoo. What a pity no ice cream for little Jo !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, while they are destructive birds, they are so funny to watch when they are playing.

      Delete
  11. Nice lake, I'd want to be out in my raft there. Are those black swans in the one photo? You have beautiful birds in your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, while there are plenty of boats to hire to take out, I don't know if you can take your own craft out. I must find out. Yes, black swans. There are a lot of them.

      Delete
  12. Andrew the sky is so clean...I believe it was a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, mostly our atmosphere is quite clean. Autumn with still days can be a problem with a build up of car emissions.

      Delete
  13. There's a paddock on Stud Rd that sometimes has hundreds of cockies and corellas in it. What a sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Fen. What has happened to the Police Paddocks?

      Delete