Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Travel broadens the geographical knowledge

Our visit to North America resulted in me learning rather of lot of geography. I know where the larger Canadian states are. We had a cute captain when we canoed, so in a stalking like matter, I had know where his home province was, Nova Scotia. We spent time in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario. The capital city of Canada is Ottawa. The capital of British Columbia is Victoria on Vancouver Island. Calgary is a big city in Alberta Province and may be its capital.

I learnt that Canada is the second largest country in the world, bigger even than Australia, and it has rocks and trees........and water.

I learnt exactly where Niagara Falls are and interestingly that the river is only a waterway draining one lake to another. I've some knowledge of a couple of big lakes, the Trans Canada Highway, which runs across the sea to Vancouver Island as well as on land and the basic topography of some of Canada.

Again in stalker mode, I did look at where Strayer lives in Oregon, but until our visit to Vancouver, I did not know how close she is to the Canadian border. Rubye is even closer still in Portland.  

I now have a good idea of the layout of  Manhattan, New York, but I also picked up exactly where the other boroughs are, that the state of  New Jersey is just across the Hudson River and that it is arguable as to whether Manhattan is an island or not. Knowing the boundaries of New York State seemed important, so I have that down pat too.

I also have vague knowledge of Vancouver and Toronto and some smaller Canadian towns on the tourist trail.

You know though, the most marvellous thing about having blog mates all over the world is that I learn things about the countries they live in. I know heaps of things about Netherlands, England, Scotland and Wales, about Toronto, Budapest, Belgium, Spain and Poland. I've learnt so much about our great outback, about Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Brisbane and Sydney and even Papua New Guinea. Do I want to know anything about northern Tasmania? I have only to ask. I know some about country Queensland and country New South Wales. I've also learnt that while the American stereotype might hold for many, the Americans I have contact with do not fit that stereotype at all. Of art, especially public art, culture and literature, flims, plays and various performances right down to busking. All quite marvellous really. I look forward to much more.

PS, it was doing my head trying to remember all of you, so if you feel left off the list, it's not that I don't care.........

PPS This was supposed to only be about geography. I got carried away a bit.

28 comments:

  1. The internet and modern technology have brought the world closer to us all but nothing beats actually visiting places to improve our knowledge and awareness of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, places do stick in your head much better if you have visited them.

      Delete
  2. Oddly enough, this touches on what I'll be writing about later. Funny that, innit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Jac. I shall await with interest.

      Delete
  3. It is amazing isn't it? We learn so much, we see so much...
    Mind you, I don't think you should have said that Canada was bigger than Oz. I don't think our guvmint would agree, and it might be enough to classify you as unOrstrayan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC. No no, the gubbermint says Aussieland is too small for refugees.

      Delete
  4. I'm thrilled that I find out so much from blog mates around the world Andrew, I may never have to travel again :)..... Only kidding :) Happy you didn't leave out Perth, Australian surveys often forget we're here much to my grrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, of course I would not forget my favourite West Australian blogger. Well, my only one really. While there is a disconnection, I don't think people forget you are there and part of Australia. You are just very remote........like Thursday Island :-P

      Delete
  5. I enjoy learning about other places from blog friends too, but probably won't remember things as well as you do now. Visiting the places and spending time there always helps to cement them in your memory. I spend a lot of time finding places in my Atlas, I "followed" you on your trip that way.
    Canada is bigger than Oz eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am chuffed that you followed us in Canada. You must have learnt a bit then. Apparently Russia is the biggest, then Canada, then us.

      Delete
  6. You are on the best way to become a Mr. Wikipedia !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all Gattina. So many people are so clever, and that is not me.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous8:55 pm

    Isn't it all wonderful, the travel you have done. I too followed you on your recent holiday. I have a dear friend who lives in Edmonton (the capital) Alberta, she is the one that posts me a small Christmas Cake each year, for years now.

    I like you and others learn so much from our blogger friends. I often look to see where they live in this world, it puts things in the correct place. They teach us so much more, as to how they live, what they do, and so much more...
    It's always good to learn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Andrew that was me, i pressed by accident the wrong thing...oh my..

      Delete
    2. Margaret, I had a feeling it was someone I knew well. Corrected, capital of Alberta is Edmonton. Did you know they don't have to have front number plates in Alberta? And so they don't. Giving your address to people you know via the internet is instinctively wrong, yet I have never had problems. Trust in that most people are good.

      Delete
    3. Pleased you used your instinct :). Yes I did know about the number plates....it can be a risk giving address via Internet, however snail mail is the old way of writing to someone such as a pen pal, giving your address. I met the lady through business on the internet many years ago via email.....lovely long story :).

      Delete
  8. You know more about North America than I do. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Susie. Careful about fitting the stereotype. As you have lived here, I am sure you can point to where I am on a map.

      Delete
  9. 1 Russia 17,098,242 sq ks
    2 Canada 9,889,000
    3 China 9,388,211
    4 United States America 9,147,420
    5 Brazil 8,515,767
    6 Australia 7,692,024
    7 India 3,287,590
    8 Argentina 2,780,400
    9 Kazakhstan 2,717,300
    10 Algeria 2,381,740

    Alas we are some way down the list of countries by area. And I agree with you totally - books and films are great, but the best way to learn geography is to get up and go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Hels. Never trust the lyrics of a song for education. I am surprised we are so small. Thanks for checking.

      Delete
  10. You are so right Andrew. I have learned so much from travelling and now hearing from people all over the world is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, and isn't it so enjoyable to learn? For me it is.

      Delete
  11. I love all you've learned and agree about blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, you have played a good part in it, for sure.

      Delete
  12. Andrew at school I was pooer at geography thanks to my bloggeres friends now I am a master ... I have heard about devil from Tasmania but I didn't know where tasmania is. Now I know a lot of Australian and US...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, and now when I hear Poland mentioned on the radio or tv, I listen check as to what the story is.

      Delete
  13. I have greatly enjoyed following blogs and traveling with bloggers when they go places, like you and WA. I have learned so much. Stalking me, eh, Andrew? My only international cat adoption was to someone living in Surrey, British Columbia. By then, I had to have a passport to cross the border, but they cost so much, I couldn't afford that. the cat, to cross, had just to have a vet certificate of health. So I met the adopter in Bellingham, near the border, and she came across and picked up Mickey, the one eye cat from the BS colony, and he's still doing well up there. It was a long drive to the Canadian border, from here, with Mickey, but done there and back in one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it is great to learn so much, and at times your own views can be challenged. Like in Australia, your distances are great. Good to hear of the successful international adoption.

      Delete