Thursday, September 24, 2015

The floral season

It is wisteria blooming time in Australia. I love wisteria and at one house we used to have it trained along trellis sitting on top of the back fence but it is hard beast to keep under control. I seem to recall the blooms appear on two year old wood, so great care is needed when you go at it with an axe and chainsaw. Please don't bother bringing white wisteria into the post. Who cares about white wisteria. I am talking mauve wisteria, proper like init.

The Japanese like to torture control plants to a very fine degree and the results can be quite special.

Take a look here at a 145 year old wisteria to see what I mean. Just magical. Yes, you need to click the link where I say take a look 'here'.

Here is a little preview.



13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, those are gorgeous photos of the wisteria "trained".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty special, Strayer.

      Delete
  2. No link, but I have seen it before and yes, it is special. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, only the first here was linked. I've done both now.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely rife with gorgeousness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely rife with it, Jac.

      Delete
  4. Stunning! I planted one at the beginning of winter, think I may have to wait a few years to see results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, once they get going, they grow quite quickly, so not too many years. I will live long enough to see your photo of it.

      Delete
  5. I clicked the link and was stunned by the pink and purpleness. It's GORGEOUS!
    When we lived in Holsworthy Army Base the front porch of our house had wisteria and we put our old armchairs out there, we'd sit and listen to the bees buzzing through the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that sounds like a lovely way to spend an hour.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow now I want to go to Japan and see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, is it on your bucket list? Quite a fascinating country and they certainly do gardens well. Do avoid the heat and humidity of summer though.

      Delete
  7. Pretty. I've never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete