Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sunday Selections

I am joining River and others for Sunday Selections.

It was a cold autumn morning, as I can tell from these first photos taken as I left home. Eureka Tower is up in the clouds.


The Shrine Gardens are a bit misty.


Even less of Eureka Tower now.


I photographed the photographer. I am sure he gave me a dirty look.


Fifteen minutes later, blue sky was appearing.


Shadows were being cast.


And I was looking around the Southbank area.


Remains of the Sandridge rail bridge.


Tiered lunch seating?


The mist comes and goes for a while.


Gattina, your beer is here.



Some native plantings close to the Southbank promenade.



Some of this cobble stone paving appears to have been here for a very long time. Does my gut look fat in this photo?


These sculptures lining Sandridge Bridge move up and down the bridge, but so slowly I can never detect any movement.




The Ice Bar cometh and the Ice Bar closeth, due to unpaid bills and rent, I heard.


Not like.


Like.


School lads about to board a ferry.


An older European accented man had this cockatoo and I thought it was for picture posing for a fee, but no. He was happy for anyone to pick up the cocky and snap away. The feathers raised around the bird's beak are probably warming the cold air a little as it inhales through the nostrils in the beak.


I forgot to check properly but it seemed to me you could bypass the ticket barriers at Flinders Street Station by walking through this shop.


Mirka Moira's mural is half hidden away and looking rather shabby.


Railway station capacity wanting? Close a platform and turn it into a cafe. I am not sure if it will be successful. We haven't tried it yet.



Mind, it is not accessible from the station.


Looking west down the Yarra River.


Railway safety advertising.



Bad photo taking, with the sign chopped off. This the Travellers Aid centre, to assist strangers to Melbourne who need help or may be in a spot of bother. I think it is run by volunteers.

34 comments:

  1. I have a weakness for misty mornings. Love them, and am always intrigued by how often (and how suddenly) the mist lifts to reveal a bright blue sky. Chilly perhaps, but bright.
    I agree with you about the sculpture you are not fond of. However, I would rather have art I didn't like than no art. We have a mix here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think you get quite a lot of the misty mornings and those crisp clear days.I can imagine the piece we aren't keen on having an appeal to children.

      Delete
  2. Andrew at my climate zone the fog means that we have started autumn. Now temperature at my place is very high 26C degrees. Your selection is fantastimc. My favourite is the white bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, that is still quite warm. Has this been your hottest summer ever?

      Delete
    2. Andrew it is the hottest summer ever. And it is going to be about 30 C degrees for two next week. The drought is very serious

      Delete
    3. Wow! It is not how I think of Poland.

      Delete
  3. Cool mornings are always good usually followed by a sunny day.
    I do see more of Melbourne on your blog than I ever did in real life one day I will visit your city.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to visit Merle. You will see even more of Melbourne on my blog as time goes on. I appreciate reading your small snap of Sydney.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your walk around south Melbourne today. Might have started as a misty morning, but is shaping up to be a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CM, you must have a few days like that too.

      Delete
  5. See where the school students are about to catch the ferry? I know and love that area well. But it is all plant-free.

    The photos of the native plantings close to the Southbank promenade, on the other hand, are much more attractive than I had realised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, just a short walk across a bridge for you. I disliked the native plantings earlier, but they have come into their own now.

      Delete
  6. Another nice walk this morning; I've just followed EC as she walked. I like that first Southbank sculpture you showed, the rock with metal flower. I love how they did the Belgian Beer Cafe sign, that's a great idea.
    I remember the Traveller's Aid station, I rested there once with my baby girl when I had a long wait for the connecting train to Sydney, where I had another long wait to get back home to Brisbane. I'd been to Adelaide, hubby was overseas playing soldiers.
    I don't like that Picasso style face at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that would have been at Spencer Street Station, I think. I am not sure if there is still a Travellers Aid there, but if there isn't, there should be. As you describe, that is what Travellers Aid is about.

      Delete
  7. I saw some people meticulously cleaning the Mirka Moira mural on a few years ago but I guess it gets very dirty very quickly with all the pollution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, yes it did get a reno some time ago, but maybe its time has passed?

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed my Sunday morning walk around Melbourne. I am in Devon watching the rain hitting the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, while rain beating against a window is a bit of a novelty here, I am a little surprised the weather is so bad in Devon. Anyway, watcha doing down there?

      Delete
  9. Enjoyed your walk. I do like mist photos, there is a mystery about them.
    What a sweet cockatoo, great capture of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, cockies make such terrific pets, but can be a bit noisy.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed the walk too and learned a bit more about your city ! I hope that the beer for me is alcohol free, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Au contraire Gattina, the Belgian beer sold here has quite a high alcohol level.

      Delete
  11. Stay off the tracks, huh?! Words to live by :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, people have to stop staring at their phones to stay off the tracks.

      Delete
  12. your Melbourne looks just lovely. and re that shadow? everyone knows shadows add a few kilos.
    apparently a HighRise movie coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, of course shadows do that. New to me was John Gray of Wales mentioned the Sydney pound, weight people put on when they visit Sydney. We lose weight when we visit Sydney as we walk so much. I bet you lost weight in Sydney too, for whatever reason. I will follow up the thief of my Highriser persona tomorrow.

      Delete
  13. I do enjoy a walk with you Andrew, enjoy seeing the Melbourne street art. Don't you mean misty spring morning? Or do you guys over there do EVERYTHING different to the west :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I thought it was autumn, but I just checked and it was 12th June. The photos were taken before we went away and I ran out of time to publish them. Don't worry about the double comments. I just delete them.

      Delete
  14. P.s. a post especially for you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.p.s. Actually tomorrow! Don't know why my comments are printed twice, sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked the Southbank promenade and how would we know on your shadow if your gut is large or not, unless you take a side view. Your city is beautiful, art seems to be everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, yes, you won't catch my side profile photo. Thanks.

      Delete
  17. A great slice of Melbourne and a beautifully improved day.

    ReplyDelete