Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sunday Selections - Libraries and stuffs

Joining in with River and others for Sunday Selections.

The City of Melbourne realised some years ago that with the increasing number of residents in the city, it did not have a lending library and so opened the City Library in Flinders Lane. It is extremely successful and always busy when I have been there.


Just outside the traditional perimeter of the central business district within the city, populations also grew and so a lending library was provided for residents of Southbank. The building in this photo is used for community purposes. It is just off Kingsway in City Road.


This plaque explains former uses of the building.


An annex at the eastern side houses the library. Unfortunately it was closed on the Friday morning when I visited.


Across the road another historic building has been saved. Pity about the advertising.


Looking at the eastern wall of the main building. There is a forest of high rise towers in the location.


Just across Kingsway, another significant building has survived.


The residents of Docklands also wanted a free lending library, and so it came to pass. This one was open and I was very impressed. Public libraries may have gone into the history books but successful libraries reinvented themselves and this very hi tech library is a great example.


This area is all new to me, so I had a look around after leaving the 48 tram at its terminus. The library has a large forecourt and is well planted with trees. Bolte Bridge can be seen in the background.


An interesting and crazy sculpture.


More housing is being built across the Yarra River on the south bank.


Another shot of the sculpture. I like it.


On the other side of the library in the earlier photo is Victoria Harbour.


This construction has only a few seats within, presumably for the use of local workers to eat their lunch.


An avenue of peppercorn trees. I suppose the designers know they grow into very large trees.


Rule of the sea, everything must give way to sail.


Docklands Stadium has had various sponsors since it was built and at the moment the sponsor is United Arab Emirates based Etihad Airways.


A new area already has disused tram tracks. No doubt a property developer wanted the tram moved, and so it was, a bit to the east.


The train drivers had stopped work for a meeting and the normally bustling Flinders Street Station was very quiet, with only a few staff answering enquiries and strangely a very large police presence. A sandwich shop owner complained in the media that he had to throw so many sandwiches as there were no customers over the period of the four hour train stoppage. Given there was many days notice of the stoppage, when does he make his sandwiches?


I checked on a small exhibition at the Town Hall gallery. Crowds flocked to Melbourne city to celebrate Victory Europe Day, 1945.


Some things never change outside the Town Hall.


And some things do. These planters normally hold flowering annuals.


And what about us?, the good burghers of East Melbourne asked. We want a lending library too. With all the beautiful old buildings in East Melbourne, I am surprised that this thing had to be built. The library inside was less hi tech than Docklands and not terribly large. However, it was so so busy. I am very pleased that libraries have a secure future, in the medium term at least.


23 comments:

  1. That sculpture looks like an artist's interpretation of a building site. Intriguing.
    Hooray for libraries. High tech, low tech, no tech, I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the sculpture was probably made up from left over building materials.

      Delete
  2. Great photos indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You find such interesting 'stuff' Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, without really trying.

      Delete
  4. I do love a library. ;) And now thanks to technology I can carry one around in my tablet! I do need to do a little work on it though, some of my favourite books are missing when I go to look for them. I do have digital copies of them, it is just a directory got deleted a while ago and I thought I put those books into a new directory but apparently I did not.

    Right now I am most missing The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton. Every so often I have to read that book, and my mind is telling me it is time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, yes the little electronic library is marvellous and we can borrow ebooks now.

      Delete
  5. Dandenong has a very new and kinda cool library. I go in there regularly with clients. I adore libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenstonegirlpix/13258589525 that's what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I really like the building. I've not been to Dandy for a couple of years.

      Delete
  7. Andrew, fantastic photos. The ilibrary is very interesting. In Poland nowadays people don't go so often to libraries and many of them are closed. Computers are on the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I don't know if any have closed here. They are still popular with many types of people.

      Delete
  8. The City Library in Flinders Lane has a fine array of books etc and if they don't have what you want, they happily bring in whatever you want from other Melbourne City Library branches.

    I simply wish this library had more floor space, more natural light and better desks/tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is a while since I have been in there, but I recall it could feel quite cramped at times.

      Delete
  9. That last photo is a library? hmm, I guess it's okay since you can't see that exterior once you're inside.
    I really, really dislike that crazy mangled sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, quite true about the library, once you are inside. Because of the area it is in, I thought it would be really quiet, but it wasn't.

      Delete
  10. That's very reassuring to hear Andrew, would have been a tragedy if this generation of youngsters didn't enjoy the pleasure of the library experience! I can't believe that advertising on the older building, I hate those big billboards anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes, the kids still get the library culture and it is so important, I think. I too hate great big billboards.

      Delete
  11. Good to see that your heritage buildings are being used but what on earth is that giant advertising 'Thing' doing on the top of an historical building. (PS my post tomorrow is just for you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I really don't know how they got a permit for that advertising. City of Melbourne can be quite strict about such things. I look forward to the post.

      Delete
  12. Your library looks like an upside down armored something ur ruther. Like an armored vehicle minus wheels flopped on its back. Or something. The sandwich guy's protest might get him a health department visit. When DOES he make those sandwiches? That historic building looks like it was saved so it could be a stand for those large advertisements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I like your description of the library. There may have been a deal made. We will renovate and restore the building if we can have the right to put advertising on it. I hope if that is the case, it is for a limited time.

      Delete