Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Next Door

I didn't believe it. My alarm was set for 5.30 am Thursday morning but at 5.15 I was woken by the noise of a jack hammer and then later a concrete saw started up and began cutting. It must be some emergency work, I thought. As I left for work I looked around the streets and I had checked from the balcony but could see nothing.

I asked R later if he was woken by the noise and he said no. He suggested something was happening next door with air con plant. There was nothing to see.

Blow my feather down, the same thing the next morning and these bits appeared on the roof, along with a couple of chairs on the left of the photo. This time the jack hammer did wake R.


Saturday night we could see lights on in the plant room when we went to bed. Sunday morning these had appeared, replacement units of the above.


Incredibly the old air con unit had been lifted out and a new one dropped into position. This is a huge unit and the things on the roof above look like they are very heavy, so there is only one conclusion, while we slept a crane was set up and lifted things in and out  and we did not even know. I had my blind up as well. How could we have slept through the inevitable noise?


I could scarcely believe this could all happen just metres from our bedroom windows and neither of us was woken. And why was it necessary to jack hammer and cut concrete out of work hours the previous days?


Nothing happened Sunday night but Monday morning the pump looking things had disappeared from the roof and no doubt things were being connected up. Workers were having a smoko break. Smoko if you don't know is a break for workers to have a cigarette and rest, and in the days of old the time to roll their cigarettes. I am not sure how wide spread the usage is, but Tradie Brother takes 'smoko' to work, his morning tea to have during the break.


I just hope the new unit is quiet.

20 comments:

  1. People watching......a bit like your very own rear window

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, our place is very much somewhere to observe goings on.

      Delete
  2. How amazing that you did sleep through it.
    Here at least it is not legal to use power tools (and a jackhammer certainly qualifies) out of hours except for an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am sure we have the same rules about power tools, unless it is an emergency. I am at a loss to understand why it happened.

      Delete
    2. They would have applied for and received council permission. Extenuating circumstances etc.

      Delete
    3. I expect so River. I wonder what the circumstances were. We will never know.

      Delete
  3. Incredible that you missed all the action. I suppose they would have needed special permission to bring in a crane to lift the new and lower the old. Not something they would want to do with people around in the day. Cities have lives of their own don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I think they would need permission. A road lane would have to be blocked off etc. That I get. Jack hammers at 5.15 I don't.

      Delete
  4. You must be sound sleepers, jackhammers are very noisy.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it was within the building, but still very loud.

      Delete
  5. Possibly the jack hammering etc had to be done off hours because the large new unit was scheduled for delivery at a certain time and things had to be ready and in place for it to be installed immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, maybe, but from what I saw, work those two days had finished by 10 o'clock.

      Delete
  6. Well let's hope the new unit is quiet. Seeing as you slept whilst things were going on in the night, I'm sure you will sleep if that unit does make a bit of a noise....sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I often wake during the night and I am not a very heavy sleeper. I expect it will more quiet than the old one.

      Delete
  7. How bizarre! Most places we've lived have had limits on the hours this kind of work could be done. I've never heard of 5:15 being acceptable. At least they worked fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I expect the company went to the local council and was granted an exemption, but for what reason, who knows.

      Delete
  8. You both must have a very deep sleep ! I wake already up when a fly coughs !
    Btw there are lots of people who think that pumpkins are for pigs only !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, so some on the continent also think that about pumpkins. I like them.

      Delete
  9. Andrew, probably you have drank a lot of beer so you slept so well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, a few glasses of wine on the Saturday night. But still I would normally wake up.

      Delete