Monday, September 21, 2015

Musical Monday

Copying River, here is my effort for Musical Monday but it is a double bunger.

Scott has had a few different blogs over the years. His latest, Edwardian House Renovation has been very interesting to follow, as he detailed the progress of he and his partner's renovation of their three storey Edwardian house in the English town of Leicester. What a challenging undertaking and what a success. Scott even extensively researched the houses' history. When they first moved to England from the Melbourne suburb of Murrumbeena, it was to Liverpool, where they also renovated a house. Any time Scott mentioned the river running through Liverpool, I thought of a certain song. Can you guess?

Also when I see the Spirit of Tasmania sailing across the bay from our balcony, I think of the same song although our bay is hardly a river. Ferry, cross Port Phillip Bay......doesn't really work, does it. This clip has some really nice stills of I assume Liverpool. Ferry, cross the Mersey by Gerry and the Pacemakers, 1964.



Sometimes when I am in a certain mood I think of another ferry song. Don't Pay the Ferryman, Chris de Burgh, 1982.



Of the former, I know one line, Ferry cross the Mersey.  Of the latter, only two, Who pays the ferryman. Just get me to the other side.

17 comments:

  1. Andrew, I love ferries and the song is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I don't mind a ferry trip, just not too long.

      Delete
  2. Interesting.
    I hadn't heard the last, and am wondering whether the other side is death. Catchy song. It may well be a more than usually welcome ear worm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, I don't mind the song at all.

      Delete
  3. Gery & the Pacemakers....good song.
    I wondered where/which was your Highriser was as we waited on the Pier, looked towards St. Kilda..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, hard to believe the song is so old. You can't see our building from the pier, but after about ten minutes sailing, you certainly could from the ferry. I could have waved a white sheet at you.

      Delete
  4. I've always liked Ferry Cross the Mersey; the contrast between the martial tattoo of the drums at the beginning and the rather more lush and mellow voices and instruments later is very catchy.

    Don't Pay the Ferryman: My dearest friend and I had a sopping good cry to that one not long before Kenny went to meet him... would it shock you that we then laughed so hard we ended up on the floor? Hard not to laugh at a couple of silly old cows like us, drunk on applejack and sentiment.

    And before you ask: applejack is a strong apple alcohol (30-40%) made from cider; distilled through a process of repeated freezing and thawing. We made our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, yes, I know what you mean about drums. Good personal tale. Yes, I know what applejack is. I think they make it in England too.

      Delete
  5. Two of my favourites, thank you so much. And thanks for playing MM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, interested/surprised you know the latter piece. I will have another MM next week, but of something a little more esoteric.

      Delete
  6. Great choice Andrew. Have yet to catch that ferry but top of the list next time I'm in Liverpool. Can't get the tune out of my head now but who cares as I slip back into the merseybeat years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, let's sing along, Ferry. Cross the Mersey. As I said, they are the only lyrics I can remember. The grammar battle about the song title is interesting. It is meant to be as I typed it above, certainly not ferry (a)'cross the Mersey

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, I'll pass you on to R about Merseybeat years.

      Delete
  7. How fabulous to restore an Edwardian house I would loooooove to do it! Meanwhile we're still trying to pluck up the energy and enthusiasm to finish painting other half of the house :) Ferry cross the Mersey to the land I call home 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I don't know about you, but I think we have reached the age of calling in the professionals to paint. Last time I wanted to do it slowly, room by room but R wanted it all done at once. Hard work. So you know a second line of Ferry Cross the Mersey. A duet we will not make.

      Delete
  8. You know, they actually play Ferry Cross the Mersey when you take the ferry - it blares out over their PA system. Quite surreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott, sounds a bit cringe worthy for locals but I am sure visitors love it.

      Delete