Saturday, September 26, 2015

Just another Saturday and an Officeworks fail

I was all geared up to buy my new phone today. We had a lovely brunch out in Glen Huntly with friends and then did the weekly shopping at the nearby supermarket, which was a bit frustrating as we did not know where anything was. If R had a blog, you would be reading his post about trying to return the supermarket trolley and retrieving his dollar coin.

After a little rest, we set off to South Melbourne Officeworks to buy my new phone. I was now decided on the latest, the S6, 32gb, white. Sorry, not in stock. I will check nearby stores. Nothing at South Yarra. Ditto QV. There is one at the Bourke Street store. I will ring and check for you. Yes, it is a returned phone but it will be further discounted.

For the first time in five years, I drove into the city. For the first time in over 30 years, I parked the car in the city. Oddly, there were old style meters to insert coins into. $5.50 an hour!!! We chanced it that the 17 remaining minutes on the meter would be enough. Coming home, a bus sat on my car tail, all the way from the city to home. I would normally be on the bus, which obviously would get me home in the same time. It was weird to be in Bourke Street between William and Queen and for it to be so quiet.

The lad in the shop knew I was coming and quickly produced a box that did not contain a phone. He was embarrassed and I was cross. He tried everything he could but nevertheless, like in my workplace I have to suffer customer wrath because of the the inadequacy of management, so did he. My parting remark was, I can buy the phone on your website and have it delivered in two days, but if I buy online, it may well not be from Officeworks.

I mean like we like to do the right thing and support Australian retailers and their shops, but when something like that happens, you really wonder why you bother and don't just do it online.

R said, get on the phone once we are home, and so I did. The lad at where we have bought our last three phones was very candid. He said, we can't sell them for $868. We pay $895 for them. As up until now a loyal Telstra customer, I called one Telstra city outlet, and the phone rang out. I called another and the lass said no, we cannot match that price.

We are looking after dog Jack for a few days and my mouth was now matching what is to be seen at his rear.

I called Officeworks in Elsternwick, no don't have the phone. I was now obsessed. I called Moorabbin with the thought that we might unannounced drop in on Jah Teh  or Fen for a cuppa. The lass at Moorabbin was helpful and looked at other stores. She told me what I already knew, that if a store has one phone, it will be a return. She tried a few. Look, she said, three at Glen Waverley. I called the store and confirmed, so Sunday we will journey to the countryside of Glen Waverley. I looked at how far the store was from the station and not so far, but then remembered the Glen Waverley line is partly shut down with buses between stations, so a drive it is.

If I don't buy a new phone tomorrow, just kill me and put on my stone, done in by good friendly Aussie service. Correcting that, there was nothing wrong with the staff service, it is high up management that is the problem. I could order the phone at our local Officeworks and would take a number of weeks to arrive. I can buy it from their website and it will be delivered in two working days. Anyway, it was worth the visit to the store in person to have couple of questions answered. No doubt I will bore you with those at a later time.

22 comments:

  1. Let's hope you do get your new phone tomorrow.
    Pity Office Works didn't get it correct, would have saved you a trip, frustration & disappointment.
    I think we paid $5.00 an hour at Port Melbourne for parking but we took up two spaces so the cost was $10.00 for the hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the cost of parking in City of Port Phillip is outrageous and even locals are not exempt. Restaurants did gets some concessions for where you parked for winter trading times, but it was only a small price reduction in parking. I am not sure if that applies during the day.

      Delete
  2. Have it delivered to your home! It may take a bit longer, but it will save the heartache and costs of driving into the City and throughout the suburbs, waiting for a miserable sodding phone :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I had almost decided to do that, but R pushed me a bit to make some calls. We have much on this Sunday morning, so we will try to enjoy the drive and have brunch out.

      Delete
  3. I am with Hels - but have almost total sales resistance. Shopping is almost never a pleasure.
    Jealous at the thought of just dropping in on JahTeh though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, Jah Teh would be quite horrified if she thought we would drop in unannounced.

      Delete
    2. True, and I don't care for unannounced visitors myself, it was having her in drop in distance which excited my jealousy.

      Delete
    3. She is very nice in person.

      Delete
    4. If JahTeh reads this, it won't be a total surprise when you knock on her door.

      Delete
  4. Andrew I am waiting for the photo of your new phone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, ok, I will take a photo of it.

      Delete
  5. Too much running around for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fairly painless Carol. 25 minute drive out and 20 mins back home. Will report at later date.

      Delete
  6. DID YOU GET IT!!?
    I was at the Highett Officeworks yesterday, getting micro USB cables for my phone. I had 3, 2 stopped working within a week of each other. So needed to get those replaced.
    And you're most welcome to come for a cuppa, however not this weekend as I am chock full of snot and germs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Now 2.5 years of refining my phone set up begins again. R was so impressed he now wants one but that will pass. Yes, after 2 colds this year, I've had my share.

      Delete
    2. oh yeah, you do tweak it down to such awesomeness, only to have to do it all over again when you change. I hate that too!

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't have minded, I had furniture to move and could have used a couple of strong arms and I wasn't full of snot like Fen.
    And I was in a whinging mood so it would have been just like a visit to your mum without handing over money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Jah Teh, sorry, its the backs you know. Not what they used to be. You perhaps have more to whinge about.

      Delete
  8. I should have read all the way to the bottom before commenting on others comments (*~*), I see now that JahTeh wouldn't have minded at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am sure Jah Teh would prefer to have her hair done and make up on before we arrived. Well, I would prefer she did.

      Delete
  9. I still couldn't be as pretty as you, dear lad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a pity I spoiled a video of Little Jo with my presence in the background. Who is that old man?

      Delete