Friday, September 11, 2015

Extreme holiday behaviour

How many holidays should one have per year? Is not Sydney enough? Is not Canada and New York enough? I have three weeks off work in October. I had a rostered week off already and I added two weeks of my precious long service leave to the week. We should go away for a couple of days, I suggested to R. He was enthusiastic.

Well then, how is this for a plan? A night at Sister's on the Bellarine, then a couple of nights along the Great Ocean Road on Victoria's spectacular west coast and a couple of nights in Halls Gap in the Grampians? I have wanted to see the Grampians after passing by when we were returning by car from an Adelaide holiday a few years ago. I can reference what Dina and Red said about the Grampians and Halls Gap when they visited.

R seemed happy enough with this but late at night I realised he was not really enthusiastic and I am not sure I was that much either. After our long and very cold winter, what about somewhere warm, easy to get to, easy to amuse us without hard work and given it would be our third holiday for the year, somewhere cheap.

I planted an idea in his head the next day when I said, what about the Gold Coast for a few nights? I was last there in 1978. Do you think it has changed? R has been a few times more recently with his previous job, taking some lesser abled people in our society on holiday and he quite liked the Gold Coast.

By lunch time the following day he had been busy on the internet when I arrived home for lunch but as happens in the initial planning of a holiday, he was very confused for the huge options. Over the next couple of hours, with me on the desktop and he on his tablet, we investigated all sorts of accommodation and deals. We have 10,200 points each with Virgin from last year's Euro trip. We could get a flight with 10,900 points plus $20. Damn, but I remember once before using points to fly to Sydney and the taxes that we had to pay nearly added up to the price of a cheap flight.

I've never really wanted to visit the Gold Coast again. Huge skycrapers, theme parks, children, bogans, heat and humidity although the weather should be ok in October.  Yet, I am a little excited about our visit.

It will be only for five nights and thanks to some good sleuthing, the flight and accommodation with cost just over $500 each, the accommodation being an ocean view studio apartment. This is the first time we will travel on the aircraft with black and yellow stripes. I only agreed because I understand it is now owned by Virgin.

http://www.chateaubeachside.com.au We won't be any higher than the 7th floor for the price we paid.

There are a few things to investigate, such as a bus to travel the 20kms from the airport to Surfers Paradise, the new tram system running along the Gold Coast and what to do while we are there, but otherwise a pretty relaxed and easy holiday.

26 comments:

  1. That apartment building is in a good location and if I remember correctly I think it might have been renovated in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I was nearly going to ask you where you stayed but for a quick cheap holiday, it may not have fitted the bill.

      Delete
  2. It sounds good. And sometimes easy get-aways are just what is needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, and we will return and be refreshed........until the first day back at work.

      Delete
  3. A bit of relaxation will do you good; I'm glad you and R are taking the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, R is so good at doing nothing. I am not so good at it, but I will try. The pool and a book might be a good option.

      Delete
  4. I love The Gold Coast. :) Out of all the worlds there my favourite is Dreamworld because it has the largest range of stuff to see and I think the setting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, R has been to all the parks there and he suggests I would like Sea World the best, even though I don't really approve of animals being trained to amuse.

      Delete
    2. I think it would be Dreamworld. :) Seaworld is okay, but they are limited for land there, and this has limited the amount of rides they can add. Plus, the Tower of Terror is amazeballs. I love their river rapids and flume rides though Seaworld has a pretty good flume, they do not have any rapids that I recall.

      It has been a while since I have been, though. :)

      Delete
    3. Sadly Snoskred, I now consider I am too old for rides that jolt and throw me about.

      Delete
  5. I will make the same offer as last time. River, Elephant's Child and I will come and look after the HighRise for you, just fill the fridge and leave your ATM card. This is a sincere offer of a week of no worry for you, I hope you take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the place could do with a good spring clean I suppose, including the balcony glass. Which of you is the tallest to hang over to clean the outside of the glass? But I will block my card for use at the expensive liquor outlet across the road.

      Delete
  6. Or consider the Ghan Train from Adelaide to Darwin. Great views, great food and wine, usually decent company and two half day tours in Coober Pedy and in Alice Springs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day Hels. A friend is travelling on it next year.

      Delete
  7. I've just returned from a visit to the Gold Coast - from Coolangatta Airport the route 777 bus runs about every 15 minutes to the south terminus of the Gold Coast Light Rail, which will take you into the middle of Surfers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus, very helpful.

      Delete
  8. The Gold Coast has changed....looks a nice place you will be staying in plus central.
    Have as many holidays as you can within the year. Does us good to get away from our daily routine.

    I'm now in Port Fairy....heading towards Melbourne on Tuesday to catch the ferry home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I will be interested to read what you have to say about our west coast.

      Delete
  9. Flight AND accommodation just over $500?? Where do I sign? Although it probably costs more from Adelaide and bringing a cat probably isn't allowed :(
    yes, I'm back, computer resolved itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there is so much accommodation in Surfers and with the prices you pay, you can see why it is so popular. It was amusing to have your daughter post for you.

      Delete
  10. Looks fantastic Andrew, so when are you off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mid October, Grace. You'll know when I am gone as there won't be any posts for a few days.

      Delete
  11. I had to look up Gold Coast to see it for myself and then see it with google maps. Looks fabulous and fun with all the waterways throughout. I would like to visit there with my raft. I imagine you will have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose there is no reason why you couldn't raft around all the waterways. They weren't there back in 1978.

      Delete
  12. ooh warm weather holiday, jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I asked R will it be too hot and humid. We had enough of that in New York. He assured me no.

      Delete