Saturday, September 12, 2015

Critters 1. Motorists 0

I thought this You Tube video was so funny. Do you remember it? The one where the old people were crossing the road at a crossing to a shop, the shop was closed, so they started back across the crossing etc.

While driving home a week or so ago along Lakeside Drive, I was on a curve in the road and the traffic stopped because a swan want to cross the road, actually two swans. No need for a do gooder show off to melodramatically get out of their car and hold up their hand to stop traffic. Lakeside Drive users know the drill. You stop for swans who want to cross the road. They have no fear of cars because cars stop for swans who want to cross the road.

But a bit like in the the afore mentioned video, two swans crossed the road. I was about five cars back. After they crossed, two cars proceeded, and then the two swans decided they wanted to go back across the road and turned back and crossed the road again. What a laugh I had as they ponderously waddled across the road again. It takes a bit for me to smile on the way home from work.

Photo from Quirky China News. Apparently the swans are feeding the fish.

23 comments:

  1. I guess the swans crossing the road must be a very regular thing. Nathan was just telling me how, during the week, he had to do the same thing and that all the motorists had an 'awww' look on their face. Funny how some animals can make people so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, it is such a de-stressing moment when you have been cursing a slow driver who holds you up for two seconds yet patiently and pleasantly wait for the swans to cross.

      Delete
  2. Swans are strange, beautiful creatures. How can any bird survive with a] a small head and brain and b] a brain so removed from its vital organs?

    I really hadn't thought about swans very much until moving to Perth decades ago and seeing them on the Swan River. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the long connecting cable between their bodies and heads must be of high quality. Amusingly they were thought to pair for life, but DNA tests have proved lots of shenanigans happen during the lives.

      Delete
  3. We stop for them here too. And marvel.
    Brilliant photo of the swans and the fish. Mind you, the fish are opportunist. Swans need to wet their food. As they do (and I assume they are being fed bread) bits break away. Enter the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so cynical EC. Not altruistic behaviour then.

      Delete
  4. People stop for duck families here, and mom sometimes has 8 or 10 ducklings trailing her. What a nice post, Andrew, it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, yes that happens here too. Cars just stop. I love seeing the cygnets riding on one of the parent's back in the water.

      Delete
  5. Lovely story that's true. Lovely to hear people still do that..

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great that all the people stop and wait. I have seen idiots here just keep on driving. I think we have the worst drivers in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no Diane, our drivers are worse, I am sure. But lordy, if someone ran over an Albert Park swan, there would be hell to pay.

      Delete
  7. What strange creatures we are. We would never wait patiently whilst a line of humans crossed a road but add some feathers or a couple of extra legs and hey ho we are transformed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true Marie. Anything that doesn't understand traffic, we are very kind and tolerant to.

      Delete
  8. andrew the post is fantastic I like the swans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, your swans would be white?

      Delete
    2. Yes Andrew our swans are white or grey

      Delete
  9. I'm giving up watching people's video links when I'm sure it's something I've already seen. I'll have a quick look if I know I haven't seen it.
    Guess the swans couldn't make up their minds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I didn't really expect people to watch it again, but I put a link, just in case. The grass is always greener on the other side of the road?

      Delete
  10. I've never seen that video. I'll have to search it out. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I linked to the video with the word 'this'.

      Delete
  11. Hahaha I just imagined the swans crossing the street and coming back and you had to wait !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They waddle so nonchalantly too, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, it seems that is the best they can when on their feet.

      Delete