Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Connecting you now caller

It took 25 minutes to drive to the Officeworks in Glen Waverley, the only place in the world that had any stock of Samsung Galaxy S6, the phone I bought.

We were greeted at the door by a lad who may have had a slight disability, perhaps a little autistic, but he was great. He knew what he was talking about, quickly found the phone that was put away for me to collect and helped with a couple of questions I still had. I can only reiterate, it not the staff that are the real service issue in Australia, it is management. The lad processed the payment with a hand held credit card reader and we were off up the road to the Telstra shop. I had checked that there was one at The Glen shopping centre. I have not been there since the early nineties when I had an outfit for Mardi Gras altered by a women in the centre who had been recommended to me. I can't recall how I had a pair of brief lycra shorts altered. It was a long time ago. Knowing me back then, it was probably to make them more brief and accentuate something.

We were checking The Glen store directory to find the Telstra shop when a woman of Asian appearance came up to us and asked if she could help.  She may have had a slight disability, perhaps a little autistic. Seems to be a theme happening here. Nevertheless, she knew The Glen well and gave us precise directions to the shop which was not far away. I was cross with myself for being suspicious of her helpfulness.

The Telstra lass was so nice. 'Of course we can put a nano SIM card in your phone. I will transfer your contacts as well. Come back in five minutes. The porting between your old card and new card will take twenty minutes but you don't need to hang around for that.' My  only criticism is she did not tell me the PIN for the SIM card, and I had to search a bit on the net to find out it was the last four digits of my PUK, which I found at my online Telstra account.

R said he would drive home and it only took twenty minutes on City Link, while I played with my new and quite lovely phone.

My old S3 went out of service but my new one did not come on twenty minutes later. A couple of hours later I called Telstra. I was cross with myself when the lass on the phone said, your phone is showing as being ported. Turn your phone off and then on again and if that does not work, here is a number to call.  Of course it worked after a restart. I could have stuck a knife in my forehead for not doing that before I called.

There are some great things about the new phone and some negatives and the interaction between my left nipple and my new phone is a problematic tale that will have to wait.

I took a photo of the new phone, but the one from the Samsung website is so much better.

R reckons the back of my phone is made of glass. He may be right. 

Bone Doctor arrived at noon on Sunday after riding her bike in training for Around the Bay from Sorrento. Sister and Little Jo arrived by car soon after and we entertained Little Jo while they went off to the VFL grand final football match. We had take away Thai food for dinner and they left, leaving us only with Dog Jack. Our Dyke Friend collected him today and The Highrise is now finally and blissfully quiet and I have time to write blog posts and play with my new toy.

28 comments:

  1. Ah Telstra. I don't go looking for problems with them but they arise every time I deal with them anyway.

    I am seeing Telstra today and I fear.....there will be blood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, we both have such masochistic tendencies. Why do we put up with it?

      Delete
  2. What I am presently loving about my Samsung is Not Siri. I call her Galaxy Lady. If you press the button twice you can speak into the phone and give it voice commands.

    At the moment I am setting a lot of reminders for various things. I set one for Honeypot Benza. I set one for Savadan Go. And tonight at 8:30pm, there is one for Going.

    Interpreted into real English, those would be Honey put bins out, Survivor on Go, and Gruen.

    I believe I can tell her to call people and send text messages as well, but I am working up to that.

    I will love to hear what you do not love about this phone and the problematic tale as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, I have not entered that area yet. My last phone would take commands but after playing with it a couple of times, I turned it off.

      Delete
  3. Mobile phones what did everyone do before them.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, we sat on public transport and stared out the windows or read a book.

      Delete
  4. SIM cards are a bit of an issue here today. My partner got with global roaming for his trip. We tested it here. It worked. Now, in Iran he tells me it is non functional. Sigh. Hopefully it will behave in Russia and the Netherlands even if he can't get it to go in Iran.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that is interesting. They are quite expensive to buy here, I think. Yes, hopefully Iran is the exception.

      Delete
  5. Woo Hoo ~ enjoy the new device.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I am and looking after like no other phone I have ever had. I am going to cry if I drop it.

      Delete
  6. The joys of mobile phones. I am a bit behind the times with my trusty flip phone, but it works for me and I guess that is all that matters. Everyone else in the family has smartphones. I have no desire to update.... yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CM, it so often like that but once you do, you will find yourself increasingly using the new features. How look before one of the family casts off their old phone for a new one and passes on their old one to you.

      Delete
  7. It's a very nice looking phone, but nipple interaction? I don't think I'd be happy with that. I didn't know about the "porting" either when I got my phone all those years ago. I couldn't access my text messages and grand daughter said turn it off then on again, you have to do that for new phones. Okay, thanks. Now I'll always remember, but I don't see myself getting a new phone soon. You'll have to be careful not to drop it if yours has a glass back, maybe get a protective cover/case for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I've had cases in the past and I don't like them. I confirmed, it is what is called 'gorilla glass', quite tough.

      Delete
  8. Lovely feel i bet! Enjoy your new mobile. I personally adore the Samsung phones, to me they are more enjoyable to use than iPhone...i have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4...actually on it commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I have no experience with iPhone, but I really do like the Samsung phones.

      Delete
  9. Andrew your mobile is great. I always dream about white mobile but my all ones were black. And my Samsung Galaxy is black, too. But I am going to buy a new model for christmas or New year and this time it is going to be white one.. I believe.. the same model as yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Gosia. You will love it.

      Delete
  10. "She may have had a slight disability, perhaps a little autistic." Oh my goodness... I ran into a bloke behind a counter last week who didn't understand what I was asking for; another customer had to repeat my words more slowly *moan*.

    Seems to be a theme happening everywhere :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I like that people with a disability are given a chance, and if they are competent, everyone wins. We have that issue of people not understanding everywhere with our high levels of immigration.

      Delete
    2. oops Andrew
      I thought you were being sarcastic in using the word autistic. When I had my problem with the salesperson in the shop, it was because he was lazy, young and disinterested in the customer, not foreign or disabled.

      Delete
    3. Hels, so easy to misread and as it seemed out of character for you, I did not say what might have otherwise. :)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful looking phone Andrew, you'll have a lot of fun with that. I'm still trying to get the image of you in brief lycra shorts out of my head :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I was very slim, smooth and desirable then. Mother showed R an old photo of him and myself when we were first together and R said, now I remember why I fell for you.

      Delete
  12. It sounds like a nice phone. Does make one feel stupid for not thinking of obvious things, turning it off and on but who can think of every little thing? There are so many little things now about everything it would fry our brains to recall them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, what I like about mobile phone evolution is the little things that annoy you clearly annoy the designers too and are rectified in the next model. This one is less complicated than the old S3 and much more instinctive.

      Delete
  13. ohhh, I am jealous Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, the coldness of the gorilla glass is sensual.

      Delete