Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Child neglect on Broadway

I hate to name drop, but when we saw a live show on Broadway (This post must be interrupted by someone questioning the statement that Andrew hates to name drop) a glamorous couple sat in front of us. No wonder the tickets cost so much. Are you getting this? We are in posh seats on Broadway. She reminded me of our fellow High Rise bearded media person resident's former wife who still lives in the High Rise but in her own apartment. Our fellow theatre goer woman was superbly dressed, had perfectly coloured and straightened longish hair and her make up was as if she had just stepped out from a department store make up do over.  Her husband/partner was a little older and gone to seed somewhat. He was well turned out as well, wearing a white cheese cloth shirt, perfectly styled hair and a not quite natural tan.

They brought their children with them to see the stage show Matilda on Broadway. The angelic son of about ten years of age sat between husband and wife. The ever so pretty daughter of a year or so older than her brother sat to left of her mother.

So, right to left, we have father, son, mother and daughter in front of us. I don't think they came to Broadway from Harlem or The Bronx (Andrew, now you are showing off your New York demographic knowledge. You really are such a tosser)

What really intrigued me was that the mother caressed her son, kissed her son, cuddled her son, stroked his hair and held his hand and talked to him. She just ignored her daughter sitting on the other side of her. The daughter may have been twelve years old. She stiffly and resolutely watched the Broadway show. If I had not seen them all together as they arrived, I would have thought she was a kid on her own who had a ticket to the show. None of that father daughter connection. None of any mother daughter connection. She was out on her own, although with her brother and parents and was just totally ignored by all she was with.

It was so weird to the point of being spooky. The situation really quite disturbed me and seemed so appropriate to the show. I hope the daughter likes reading books. 

17 comments:

  1. Second marriage for mom and dad? Split the kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awful. Joining you in hoping that the daughter is a reader.
    This is a really discomforting post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they were having a disagreement with the daughter and there is tension between then at this time, lets hope so and it 's not a situation that normally happens.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hated any public display of affection in a crowd from anybody so I identify with the daughter at that age. The son at age of 10 obviously enjoyed being petted like a miniature poodle, mine would have bitten my hand off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you! It is terrible watching other families' interactions (or non-interactions). You feel like telling them that if they loved their children equally, they would bloody treat them equally. But unless there is physical or verbal violence, you cannot!

    The only comfort I might give myself, if I was watching, is that early teenagers are mortified to be seen out in public with their parents. When my older son was 13, he wouldn't let me walk on the same side of the road with him :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teenage tiff before leaving home - 'do I have to go' - sulks.
    I tend to agree with Merle. Hoping nothing else was going on tho'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all who have commented and who subsequently will comment with great thought. I don't do it often, but I won't reply to each comment as I don't think I can say much more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nah, there's not much more one can say about that. Sometimes at night, I watch Bates Motel in the dark. That boy at the Broadway show, overly adored by his mother, could end up a Norman Bates and his mom, a Norma Bates. Gosh I love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's difficult to judge people when you only see them. I also believe that the daughter didn't want to come and keeps her distance (I didn't like to go with my parents at that age either ) and the daugher neglected mother catches up with the little boy ! He will do the same in a couple of years !
    I had to wait behind a corner when I picked up my 14 year old son from school, because he didn't want to be seen with "Mamma" ! Lol !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, certainly not good behaviour from the women, or is she setting a good example of 'how to behave', regardless of 'what' maybe wrong if anything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you SURE she was with them and not a child who had come to see the show on her own as you first suspected Andrew :) Reading this very late while staying over at my nephews to help him with his two lovely children, so sad their mum will not be here to see them grow up. The thing is if I'd been reading this at home I would have laughed out loud, very clever and funny post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. definitely not nice behaviour

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's like the play came to life and Matilda was sitting right in front of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rae. Is it life imitating art or the other way around.

      Delete
  14. Maybe she is one of those women who prefer sons. My mum was one, anything for the boys, loved the girls too, but the boys had preference.

    ReplyDelete