Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A week is a long time...........

I suppose I heard about it at the time but I recently heard about it again after another bill failed to pass the Senate. The original measure was to stop any under 25 year old person who became unemployed from receiving the dole (unemployment benefit) for six months. The government has now tried to get a four week period through the Senate, but fortunately failed to do so.

Six months without money? It is not like the dole is very much money. How is anyone to live? Mass homelessness? Soup kitchens? Starvation on the street? Begging? Prostitution? Theft?

While there may be a very few who bludge on the system, you really do need to be pretty smart and have a lot of fortitude to get away with it now. I don't think the image of twenty year old emerging from bed at noon in their family house holds true any more, except perhaps in pockets of extreme social disadvantage.

No matter the political persuasions of parties, they invariably disappoint once in power but this Liberal Party (conservative) government has been quite disgusting.

I rather like this one and a half minute long video I found at The Guardian, an electric only newspaper for us, which is surely threatening The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. If only they could add a few Melbourne car crash and lost children stories, I would be totally hooked.



Unionist Sally McManus has been keeping a blog running sheet called Tracking Abbott's Train Wreckage. You can take a look if you care to here. The final item is, 478. Breaks a promise to provide a stable and unified Government – 14 September 2015 

Up to the video was written a week ago ago, and as the adage goes, a week is a long time in politics. Dina picked up from a speech by our new Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, that he said it was a humbling experience to be chosen to be Prime Minister. I find it very amusing that Malcolm could even come close to feeling humble. I would ever go so far to say that Malcolm himself would probably find it amusing. Do we want a humble Prime Minister? I think I want a grand Prime Minister, full of confidence and have clarity of thought and clarity of policy.

Did you hear former Prime Minister Julia Gillard now approves of gay marriage, even though when she was Prime Minister she said she was resolutely against it. Did anyone ever believe that she was against gay marriage? It was just too out of character.

I mention this this because in a similar vein, I have never believed Malcolm Turnbull really supported fibre optic to the node at the end of our streets and not fibre optic to our homes. Time will tell. Turnbull made millions from his isp Ozemail that went on to become iiNet. What is it like for people in the bush? Bush Babe can tell you right here. While it is a long post, it well worth a read if you want to understand what it is like to live in the bush, away from the convenience of the city and fast and cheap broadband.

While I don't vote for the Liberal Party (conservative), and you probably haven't noticed that in any post I have written, I have never used The Abbott's first name. In the above post I have used Turnbull's first name. Are you picking up that I may have a modicum of respect for Turnbull? To his credit, Malcolm is much more presentable than The Abbott, believes in our taxpayer funded broadcaster the ABC, and along with supporting public transport, is also a frequent user of the same.

16 comments:

  1. Gah, don't get me started on their treatment of the unemployed et al. Horrible.
    I met a member of the Sex Party last week and she said a lot of politicians have a completely different personal view as opposed to their political view. She was talking about the war on drugs, saying most thing it is pointless. But that no one has the balls to stand up and say so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I don't doubt at all what you say about politicians private views. They are just catering to the more conservative element in society, who are probably quite set in their voting habits anyway.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure why Andrew but I feel a sense of confidence in Malcolm T. Hope he doesn't let me down ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the always do, but we want to believe.

      Delete
  3. I'm with PerthDailyPhoto - fingers crossed that Malcolm can do a decent job, plus once he chooses his cabinet, I am hoping he changes his mind about the plebiscite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, it may well be after he is elected in his own right and has more authority that we will see his stamp on things.

      Delete
  4. Fingers and toes crossed. At the moment he says he is going to toe Tone's line on climate change and same sex marriage. We will have to wait and see. Hopefully he will nip obscenities like denying access to income support for a month in the bud quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, well, it is the party line, but I should think as PM he could change that. Depends a bit on how secure he is in the position.

      Delete
  5. The garbage politics have only just begun up here in the states with some jokers running for President and at least their insults and rampages and infights are terribly entertaining, but won't be so much if one of the imbeciles becomes our next President.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, awful for you and for us as we have to hear about your election in minute detail.

      Delete
  6. When I was there. supposedly a bunch of surfer blokes would live together in a beach house...all on the dole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, things are just so much tighter now, although I am not saying it doesn't happen, but it would be pretty rare now.

      Delete
  7. re susie's comment; I remember years ago standing in line at Centrelink, (which was called something else at the time) and listening to a couple of young 20-something men about how they were headed straight to the beach after handing in their claim forms, each deciding their job interviews could wait a few days longer. Wonder how they're doing now?

    I didn't realise we had a new Prime Minister until I saw something on the TV last night, that's what happens when I don't watch the news for a while because it's all bad. So now we play the wait and see what happens game again eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that occurred to me when I read Susie's comment. What are those lads doing now? What are the lads you mention doing now?

      Delete
  8. Wasn't there a song with words like - never trust the smile on a crocodile - well here we go with same crap Liberal politician but with a smile. He's as arrogant as the creep he replaced but is better at hiding it. If he is following Abbott's stance on global warming then watch for his approval of coal mining in Qld and NSW.
    In the past young men might have had a high time living off benefits but now Centrelink is full of families whose jobs have disappeared off shore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, as I know, you are very perceptive and grounded. It helps that Turnbull was once Laborish, before he became mega rich. I hated The Abbott but I don't think he was as arrogant as Turnbull. Nevertheless, as I said, I don't mind a lack of humility in a PM, and perhaps a little arrogance is not a bad thing either. Good point about Centrelink. I am correct, am I not, about it being hard work for young people to sponge on the dole now.

      Delete