Friday, September 11, 2015

A day off

Tram into town, Latrobe Street, tram down to Collins Street, 48 tram to East Melbourne, 48 tram back, tram back to Latrobe Street, tram home. This is how many inner Melbourne people travel. Yet, am I a public transport expert? No. But for some reason it seems to stamped on my forehead of what I think of as being is my sour and don't speak to me visage. Three times I was asked questions about trams.

One was from older people, Australian tourists and fair enough, but two were from younger people who seemed very local. Why can't they work this out themselves from their phones? I am nearly sixty years old. I have the necessary phone apps for public transport, a meagre data allowance, but I know where to get free wifi. What is wrong with young people that they have to ask me for information from an anon old bloke that is so readily available to them on their phones?

Just to pander to my gay readers and female readers who have an interest, the hottest looking guy sat opposite me on the tram. I had my dark sunglasses on and examined him from head to foot. I did detect his nose was somewhat aquiline, but still, very nice. Slim but not skinny, tight jeans and fitted shirt, well groomed and nice shoes.  Blow me down, the same bloke was on the tram when I was coming home, except I was facing forward and he was on a sideways seat and so in profile. Wouldn't have given him a second look if I had not seen him earlier in the day and I was no longer interested.

When I was travelling into town on the tram, a group of school kids boarded. I could not work the group out. Although they were wearing uniforms, the uniforms were not the same and certainly not from any private school I know. One lad had a great dark hair style and with Mediterranean looks but was overweight and will not look good in a few years. Actually not even that great as a young person. All hair and no substance. Perhaps he is a really nice guy. Another was a slim and tall blonde lad with spots all over his face and carried himself in a slightly gay manner. But wait. He is wearing mascara and eyeliner. I thought I knew all the Melbourne alternative schools but I have no idea where this lot were from.

In other news, ABI Brother called tonight to tell me he did what I told him not to do, update his AVG virus checker to Pro Trial instead of free and now AVG want payment. I will sort it out for him next month. I am sure his computer will remain protected against the outside intrusions. It is what he does with his computer and the intrusions he agrees to that are the problem.

Sent sms to Sister and cc to Bone Doctor that we won't be visiting them in October, instead going to the Gold Coast. No reply, as I expected. Bone Doctor is riding around the bay when we will be away. I expect Sister had intentions of doing part of the ride, with us looking after Little Jo. Tough. They can stay here of course if they want, if they elbow Jah Teh out of the way while she is here to spring clean our place.

Quickly written and off the cuff posts are perhaps improved by a photo. I thought she was headed for the same tram as I was, but no, she went on to Jolimont Station. She ripped off some jasmine along the way and sniffed it.



20 comments:

  1. A kindergartner told me that he missed his phone app on the playground yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course he would Susie. Your point is?

      Delete
  2. Not available for baby-sitting Andrew, well really!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terribly selfish of us, Grace.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, I love travelling public transport and observe people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, same here. So much to see.

      Delete
  4. Your jasmine thief has the look of her maj. Something about the way she is holding her shoulders...
    I am almost certainly the tallest of your house sitters (5' 10 ish in old money) but won't be leaning over to clean your windows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, so you too just want to sit around chatting, drinking and eating like Jah Teh. So disappointing.

      Delete
  5. Kid these days have access to all the information that could possibly need from their smart phones but still would prefer to get their answers by asking someone rather than figuring it out for themselves. That is my growing realisation in my job at university.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I think a lot of it comes down to personalities. Some people really like to hear words and the reassurance they get from them. I am actually quite pleased young people still prefer the human interaction.

      Delete
  6. In less than a month there will be major changes to Sydney's bus services in preparation for the construction of the light rail extensions. Although notices are now appearing at bus stops and elsewhere I imagine there will still be chaos, confusion and criticism when the changes arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it is going to be a painful process to go through, but as long as it is well done, it will be mega successful once finished. It seems in part of George Street instead of using overhead wires, the vehicles will be powered from underground. This technology when used overseas has had mixed success and I am not sure it is a good idea.

      All the naysayers on the Gold Coast who were so critical during planning and construction of their light rail have had to eat their words as it well exceeded passenger forecasts.

      Delete
  7. Cheeky Andrew, we will be down at the pool chatting, drinking and eating.
    Just think of it EC, an indoor pool just for the three of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget spa, sauna and room for a pony.

      Delete
    2. Woo hoo. And I will be on hols myself too. Himself will be away in October...

      Delete
    3. EC, what a shame you have the cats to look after then. Maybe next time.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I get tired of it too, the young people wanting me to tell them how to do things that they can so easily learn for themselves with a couple of clicks, by phone or tablet. So I've learned, to lower my head and mumble, "I dunno", and look wild eyed, so they leave me be. The Jasmine Thief is regal looking, dressed smartly, a somebody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, a particular older friend is like that. He will ask me things, especially about computers and the internet that he could more easily just goggle. A bit of mad look is a good idea. I should have called the post, The Jasmine Thief.

      Delete
  9. The tram and train apps are both quite good.
    My jasmine burst into flower a few days ago, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I think it is about reassurance, as Ad Rad said. I like a mild scent of jasmine.

      Delete