Thursday, September 03, 2015

A change is flagged

You know this flag.


I am sure you know this one, using my own photo.


 How about this one, also my own?


But to which countries do these flags belong? Yes, I am writing to an international audience. They are clearly former English colonies which have not cut the cord to their origins. Well, one of the below has actually. I am not sure if it has been formalised.




The first flag is New Zealand's, the second Australia's and the third, Fiji's.

New Zealand is going to vote on a new flag and here are their options if the change goes ahead. I am afraid the second one is a non runner, for me at least, and the choice is down to three terrific contenders.  I'll go for the first, which encompasses the red and blue of New Zealand's recent British heritage, the fern leaf, perhaps tenuously suggesting its earlier settlers and certainly its flora and the southern cross star constellation. As just a flag that doesn't represent much, I like the third one too.


There have been murmurs in the past about our own flag. In fact it was once high on the political agenda but the political will died and general apathy set it in. There is always an almost dead soldier who can be good for a news grab who will say in a tremulous voice, I fought for this country under this flag. I ask you foreign types, what could represent Australia on a flag? and don't say a spider or snake. S'pose Australian opinion is welcome too. No prisoner image in shackles please but I think we need to include in the flag a reference to those who have been here longer than than we more recent settlers.

Disappointingly, it seems by opinion polls of those who will vote, that there is not a clamour to change the flag in New Zealand. Seems like New Zealand's change the flag was just political posturing. Shame really.

19 comments:

  1. We certainly need to include reference to our indigenous population. Can't see any change happening soon though. NZ's flag options are interesting. I think I like the first and the fourth (I assume the black is a nod to the Maori population) best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these Andrew. Although I had heard the news, I hadn't seen any options. I think I like 4 myself, just not sure about the cobalt blue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My preference - not that it matters as I am not a 'NZer' - would be for the flag bottom left.

    A friend of mine is very keen for Australia to have a new flag, specifically the Southern Cross against a plain blue background. I support a new flag but not one which includes the Southern Cross as that constellation arguably 'belongs' to any southern hemisphere country not just to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew, I am very interested about NZ flag , which one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see a flag with the Southern Cross constellation still, because we are in the Southern Hemisphere, but a smaller version perhaps in the bottom right corner and a diagonal division which is a branch of our golden wattle, with maybe a small coat of arms in the upper left corner. background colour is what I can't decide on. Maybe a teal which is neither blue nor green, but ocean coloured, since we are an island continent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not up to me I know, but I quite like no. 1. A bit of a nod to the past but locally symbolic with the fern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best and most memorable flags are those that have one background colour and one simple object/pattern in the centre eg Japan, Israel, Switzerland, Canada, Congo, Turkey, Norway and Sweden.

    The ones we will never remember are complex, multi coloured and multi shaped flags like South Africa, Eritrea and Equatorial Guinea. I have lived with South Africans all my life and even started to speak with a South African accent for a while, but I will never ever EVER remember their flag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew, Hels makes a good point in that Japan's minimalist flag must be the most recognizable flag ever.
    But I don't know the internal politics of why New Zealand wants a change in their flag. But it does look a bit too close to your own flag.

    I quite like the top right choice of flag (the black & white twirly wirly pattern. I think I would remember that one very easily.

    But I do sometimes wonder if all those old colony flags around the world will all have to change (including yours) if Scotland does eventually go independent. But lets hope they don't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like number 1 the best, of those four, When I think of Australia, as a foreigner, I think of modern cities, great expanses of brown flats, deserts, crocs, Kangaroos, koala bears, the great barrier reef, native people, white prisoner dump, patronistic English Christians who unwittingly torture and kill natives (like here) by dimly forcing/recruiting/baptizing them into a foreign and bible thumping culture. A brownish flag (background) to symbolize the vast deserts? Then two or three simple symbols of the past and present? But I can't think of what is most important because I don't live there. I'd just put a really super cute koala bear on the brown background and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for a new Australian flag, not New Zealand, in case that's as clear as mud.

      Delete
  10. Flags can be such a problem to suit everyone. Great idea the the NZ people can choose from the 4.
    I like the 1st of those 4, if I was a New Zealander.

    Australian Flag, a new one...the Southern Cross, blue background and somewhere on it to recognise the indigenous people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the 1st and 4th but the first scrapes in with the touch of red

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooops! Hit button too soon, not enough sleep last night, spent it with my nephew and his two young ones, still can't believe their mum is gone, so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first one would be my choice. No idea about Australia. As foreigners we just think of the kangaroo, the Koala and hats with corks on string attached to the brim!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How about a white flag with two coloured bars... one turquoise and one rusty red... in the (horizontal) middle?

    Like the top left flag for NZ

    ReplyDelete
  15. People in Europe (except maybe the UK) don't care very much about their flags. I don't even know anyone who owns one ! They are even hard to find if you want to buy one. The flags are always the same and nobody worries about. Even on National Day there are very few flags in the windows. What all countries do now is to show there flag on official buildings together with the one of the European Union.

    PS. I have never heard of "ice users" you mentioned in your comment on my blog. Maybe it hasn't arrived in Belgium yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it the way you describe Gattina. Australians are a bit too fond of their flag at times.

      Ice is probably called something else in Europe. It is methamphetamine or crystal meth.

      Delete
  16. The first one works for me ... what a shame they're not asking US!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, quite. They don't realise it is only a matter of time.

      Delete