Sunday, August 23, 2015

Whistling and Singing

My father used to announce his arrival at a friend's house by whistling as he ignored the front door and walked down the side of the house to knock or call out at the back door. His whistling was usually already heard and the friends were at the back door to welcome him.

Mother recently told me that when he was stressed, he would whistle or sing. I really liked him singing but I hated him whistling early in the morning and so much wanted to tell him to shut up. But that would not do at all. I would not speak to my father like that. My favourite song of his was If I Were a Rich Man. His de da de da, la was superb.

Two days ago R was singing around the apartment. It was driving me crazy. I wanted to tell him to shut up, but I did not as while I did not work it our at time, I have subsequently. Two days later I have realised why R was singing. It was for the exact same reason my father did, stress from doing the right thing for the ill Brother Friend and everything else. R has been remarkably composed, only snapping once at me with an anti Muslim rant and pro Australia Christian history rant.

Bah, religion. If God is good, why am I sitting here, fat and comfortable while children starve to death or worse.

Can you tell my way of destressing is to write and not sing?

And then there is the heating. Ill Brother Friend is cold and so the heating has being turned up by him to an intolerable level. I worry about the bill, like we can't afford to pay it, wearing out the air con unit and at times I take refuge in my bedroom and close the door while my room cools down. Sister complains we overheat our place and switches off the air con if we are out. She should be here now!

Interestingly, Elisabeth recently wrote about the battle of thermostats when she had a visitor.

25 comments:

  1. Stress manifests itself in strange ways ~ but better to release it than push it down. I really don't know how the two of you are doing it. Kudos to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I think we are doing it easy compared to bringing up a teenage son.

      Delete
  2. People have their ways of de-stressing, whistling is one of them I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Blogoratti. I wonder what I do? Must think about that.

      Delete
  3. Not a big fan of whistling, singing, or any kind of sound stream which is unexpected from moment to moment. :)

    I have a rug, plus, I rug up clothes wise when it is cold. We have a gas heater which is very quick and efficient and cost effective. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, it is worse when the singer only knows one or two lines and they are just repeated. We don't really rug up. It is normally comfortable here in just a long sleeve shirt but not toasty warm. Heating an apartment is not like heating a house. It never really gets that cold, with a few days this year where the inside temperature first thing in the morning was 15.5

      Delete
  4. How long is he staying Andrew? I garden when I'm stressed, when we were first married I threw things, P is happy I now garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, tomorrow is the last day. So long as you don't throw plants and pots, all is well.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, your lifestyle now is devastated... so it is difficult time to survuive. So let's start singinging... with R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singing doesn't work for me, Gosia.

      Delete
  6. I sing when I am stressed also, to distract my mind and it relaxes me, maybe like a cat purring. What about a heating blanket for the sick visitor, rather than the whole place being heated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, you are alone, so your singing doesn't bother anyone, except perhaps the cats. He will leave tomorrow and I wouldn't want to be seen as mean, even if I am.

      Delete
    2. When I'm on a hike I sing, when I get really worn out and don't think I'll ever get back. In fact, I memorized songs so that I would know them, in times like that. Also sometimes out on the raft, when I get worn out, or a little stressed from high waves, I sing. Out on the raft, it's songs like Margaritaville or A Pirate Looks at Forty, Jimmy Buffet ocean songs usually.

      Delete
  7. Whistling bugs me. Especially in a public place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, completely unrelated, but something that bugs me is women wearing shoes that make a lot of noise on surfaces, especially if they are walking behind me.

      Delete
  8. I am always fascinating by our different responses to stress. I need quiet time alone. And if I were to sing or whistle would cause stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, if you have really bad stress, it is hard to concentrate on anything, so perhaps that is why people do something easy, like singing.

      Delete
  9. My singing is awful and I can't whistle so that make me nice to live with, as I never do it.
    I agree with you about religion, the world is not balanced and a fair god would not allow that.
    Merle...................
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, you sound delightfully quiet.

      Delete
  10. I'm rarely stressed, but it's been known to happen and I have a couple of calming methods, depending on what the stress factor was. Mostly, I'll read and sleep. In the past I would play my ipod really loud, the rock playlist, and as I calmed down, the music would get quieter. I had the songs balanced that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, R uses sleep when he is stressed and boy can he sleep at such times. I like the way you wind yourself down by winding down the music.

      Delete
  11. Fortunately nobody sings in this house except the cats ! We are not talented at all ! When I am stressed I go out and take some fresh air !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, getting out for a walk is surely a good way to deal with stress.

      Delete
  12. I dissociate slightly when I'm stressed and play tunes in my brainbox. I only noticed I do this recently, so it was a bit of a revelation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I get the disassociation thing. Perhaps I do that too, but I don't tend to suffer from stress very badly.

      Delete