Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sunday Selections

I haven't participated in River's Sunday Selections for a bit. Here is this Sunday's contribution of a mixture of photos.

Work on the new building behind and attached to the old Albert Park Manor continues in a leisurely manner. As we can't find any mention of apartments for sale at this address, we assume it will return to being a boutique hotel.


I removed the cheap dvd player with a non functioning remote control.


I replaced it with our new cheap dvd/blue ray player. But why is it so far back?


The tv is wall mounted and to hide wires between the cabinet and the tv, the wires go into the wall behind the unit and then out of the wall behind the tv. A professional did this and there was one more piece of equipment once connected when it was done. I removed the excess wires with great difficulty and dragged the HDMI cable I already had through the wall and out again. That sounds so simple, but it wasn't. It took about half an hour and a lot of sweat. It is tight space within the external wall and with obstructions. Now there are just three HDMI cables and one power cord in the wall. I wish they would advance with wireless in a hurry.

Anyway, job done I thought, but then I realised the HDMI cable was too short and that is why the dvd player is at the back. I didn't want to go through dragging a longer cable through. I found I had another one but can you join them? My friend the internet told me you could. I was in town the next day and after trying two major stores who did not have joiners, the third place at a prominent city location but underground, had them. But, two in a packet and $24. I don't need two! Oh well, just pay and whinge later. I can be so English at times.


I'd better test that it works. I grabbed the first dvd that came to hand, that would be the last one played and it was fine. Then I realised there were two discs in the box, the other a blue ray disc of the same. I can compare the picture quality.  I swapped them back and forth several times. By me saying that, you can guess something. One swap would have been all it would take if there was something dramatically better with the blue ray. I just could not tell the difference.


Is there a more recognisable symbol than the London Tube roundel?  It really is a masterpiece of branding and a quick think comes up with nothing more recognisable to me than perhaps Coco Cola. This is not London though but a newsagency near Melbourne Central Station.


Reflected light  from the setting sun.


We don't interfere with Little Jo's spelling unless she asks. We do interfere with her cooking and presentation. These turned out rather nicely.


Sister and Bone Doctor went out for a three hour cycle along the beach road. Firstly we had to wrestle Little Jo away from the screen to get her in the shower and her hair washed. Then another wrestle to get her to go out for a walk and some exercise. It like she is wearing invisible noise cancelling head phones. She does not hear when she is watching the computer screen. Eventually I decided R needed to be more serious about getting her out and I switched the monitor off and she does not know how to turn that on.

My favourite magnolia had not bloomed yet. It must be the last one in Melbourne. You can make do with my second favourite. Although I don't know how to write it properly, magnolia denudata alba, commonly the white magnolia.


Like Merle who abbreviates certain plants she has as 'broms' (This might be cryptic for some, so something like bromeliad) because she can't be bothered checking the spelling, I will abbreviate the name of  this plant to 'rhodie' for the same reason.


We rewarded Little Jo for her walking effort with a hot chocolate while we had coffee among the rich and elite in Domain Road. "Little Jo, we will show you our secret lane," which is three joined walking lanes linking a couple of streets in South Yarra. Anxious to get back to her screens, "Is it the quickest way home?"

Three photos showing the new sitting comfortably or uncomfortably with the old. Personal taste, really. Up to you. First two, Hope Street, South Yarra. Second, Flinders Lane, Melbourne.




20 comments:

  1. Little Jo is a determined soul isn't she?
    Love that final mural.
    And am sooooo jealous about the magnolias. I have given up on them, since the cockatoos (much as I love them) have destroyed each tree as I plant it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, Little Jo is extremely determined and clever at manipulation. But generally she does what she is told once she is away from the screen. She is allowed very little screen time at home, so it is a novelty for her here. I am surprised cockatoos find interest in magnolias. Mind, they find interest in any thing they can destroy.

      Delete
  2. Andrew i like magnolia tree. I have the same dvd as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I hope your dvd gets more use than ours.

      Delete
    2. Andrew I don't use it very often. I prefer youtube

      Delete
  3. The logo of the London Tube is one of my favourites. I wish we had something as iconic.

    Years ago I tried to find who dreamed up the first version of the logo (perhaps in 1908) but I had some luck in naming Edward Johnston when the more recognisable symbol was patented after WW1. Undoubtedly there were slight changes later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, at times staff designed for companies and were never given personal credit. Without knowing about Johnston, I wonder if it may have been a bit of that.

      Delete
  4. I love me a good rhodie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, we have a whole park of them in the hills. They are glorious to wander among.

      Delete
  5. We call those star magnolias around these here parts... several months to go before it's magnolia time again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, are you sure about that? I may be wrong but isn't the star magnolia the stellata, which flowers before the soulangeana and denudata and has a star shaped flower.

      Delete
    2. In any other place you would be correct... this is Indiana, if it's a white magnolia it's called a star magnolia. Anything else is called, well, magnolia.

      Delete
  6. Fascinated to ask wha the building is with street copper patina?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I will have a proper look next time I walk past, but I believe it is a rear house extension, perhaps next door to the house in the foreground.

      Delete
  7. I like that sunset glow photo. I'm surprised Little Jo hasn't learned how to turn on the monitor yet, but glad too as you would never get her out for a walk otherwise.
    The old and new in that photo don't sit comfortably in my eyes.
    Love the magnolia, I should check and see if the one near me has begun blooming yet. I don't like rhododendrons much, they're pretty, but I prefer azaleas. similar flower, but smaller plant so easier to see the blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we never turn the monitor off normally so she would not know about the buttons on the side of the screen, but she does now, although not which one to press. The monitor does go off after five minutes of non use, to be woken by moving the mouse. Your magnolias should be well in bloom by now. I particularly like the Mollis Azelea, with usually great blooms.

      Delete
  8. That's funny to me, that you can't tell the difference from blue ray to normal DVD. I can't either. Must be my old eyes, or is there really such a difference? I have a couple rhodies. One doing well, one not. Kids here, too, afixed to the screen, any screen, can't get them from it. What will become of them in 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I imagine they will be complaining about the kids of tomorrow and whatever they are doing. Maybe you need some really good equipment to see the benefit of blue ray.

      Delete
  9. I would have thought all the magnolias would have bloomed at the same time Andrew. Sounds like you've successfully got your wires under control.. what I hate most about technology is the wires, we have sooo many wires! Do you see much street art on your walks, I have a feeling Perth is second only to Melbourne these days as far as that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the amount of light and temperature affects blooming times. The late blooming one is on the south side of a large building that has a huge and no doubt very cold brick wall. I do see street art at times, but not much around here. Per capita and size wise, I think you are well in front with street art, certainly good street art.

      Delete