Saturday, August 29, 2015

Shirt shopping

We hot footed it from the large city department store when I saw a shirt I liked the look of and the price tag showed $319. We returned to our much cheaper usual city department store. Why don't we use smaller shops? We do at times, if one can be found that does not have loud music blasting our ears and staff so cheerful and bouncy that they seem to have inbuilt springs.

Fortunately there was a sale in our favourite department store. Is there never not one? It took a while but eventually I bought a shirt I liked. You see, there is a lot to check.

First, nearly half the shirts can be discounted because they are tapered, or tailored as it is now described. While I think they look terrific on the right person, sadly where the shirt tapers in the middle, I go in the other direction. Do my bosoms look too big in this dear? Not a thing a man really wants.

Then there is the pocket. An older person must have a pocket for reading glasses. No shirt pocket, no good for me. I have a preference for button down collars, but I am not insistent on that one.

Of course buying a long sleeved shirt as the a summer stock of short sleeved shirts has just arrived is not wise. All that is left is what others did not want. Price is important too. Even if the price is raised before being reduced for sale back to its old price, I need to think I am getting something cheaply.

Well shirt chosen and to the desk. I complained to the service woman at the desk that once again they had decreased the size of their sizes. As she nodded sympathetically, she said that it varies greatly with brands and I must have chosen one that uses smaller sizes.

Amazing that I found something at all really.

Note: Bosoms or bosom? Rather like a substance induced conversation many years ago with friends that went on for what seemed like hours about whether a person has a groin or groins. The result was inconclusive, as conversations in such circumstances usually are.


25 comments:

  1. Andrw, luckily you have bought a shirt. But my husband always the same problems when she wants to buy shirt. So I hate going shopping with him..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, what about when you go clothes shopping? What does he do? Stay home if he is smart.

      Delete
    2. He sits imaptiently on the bench in the shopping centre or eat hamburger or drink coffee in McDonald or KFC. Nightmare.. I must be in rush...

      Delete
    3. Some things are the same all over the world.

      Delete
  2. I've learnt the hard way to check carefully for that little notice on a shirt that reads 'slim fit'.

    Sadly my slim fit days are well behind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, there are two of those categories. I forget the other one. Slim fit and something like semi slim fit. Neither is appropriate for you or myself.

      Delete
  3. $319??? I would have been hot-footing it out as well. Glad that you finally found one which suited.
    I think that I have a bosom (and a groin) we have bosoms and groins. Think, but won't bet anyone's farm on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, but what do you call each side of the groin area? Left groin and right groin? So there must be two. I could go on.....

      Delete
  4. EC already said it ~ $319? Gulp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, clearly people do pay such money for clothes, but I don't know anyone who does.

      Delete
  5. Sadly, someone will buy that $319 shirt -- more money than sense.

    I do like a bargain. My best one was at a wee thrift shop in Bloomington, a vintage Burberry in perfect condition, and in a classic style that was all the rage at the time... the shopkeeper didn't approve of non-American so I got it for $15!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, a friend worked in a slightly upmarket shop and people used to come in and spend thousands of dollars at prices like that.

      Vintage Burberry for $15! That's a win. I've heard at times you can pick up used cashmere at thrift shops for a cheap price.

      Delete
    2. Oh you can, and even if there's some slight damage, it can be remade into the BEST mittens and caps!

      Delete
  6. I just wear T shirts, all I can afford, sometimes getting them in a craft store, four for $10. You do what you have to do, to stay covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not really sure why Strayer, but I stopped wearing tee shirts. They are certainly cheap gear.

      Delete
  7. I do like a man in a nice shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, a nice man would do me, shirt or none.

      Delete
  8. I haven't bought a proper shirt in ages, I wear t-shirts these days, no ironing. Yesterday, I was at a second hand shop local to me and thought I'd look at the ladies shirts. Almost everything was long sleeved, so not for me, and also too narrow, I'm wide and round. And short. The only two shirts in my size were quite flimsy and clearly pyjama tops. I guess the staff didn't realise this and I didn't bother pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I feel too self conscious in a tee shirt. Pyjama tops, haha.

      Delete
  9. Oh gosh, the mature males and their shirts...not slim ones. I used to buy my late father 'full' shirts, however he wanted fitted ones which looked ridiculous on him, he realised by the feel.
    That shirt is a bit expensive, depends what kind of material it was, plus the Brand name.
    I don't know why loud music has to be played in the smaller shops. I expect it's for the young people, puts them in the mood for buying.
    Wasn't a research done ages ago on music in shops, it's helps relax people...would agitate me if the wrong type of music...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the best test for any clothes here are the mirrors in our lifts. They are quite cruel at times. Too often you see older men dressed very inappropriately. Actually I noticed in Myer when we were there that the music was quite audible, but not unpleasant and selected for the chief demographics of their shoppers.

      Delete
  10. With sizes we have problems too ! Mine goes from 42 to 48 it depends if the cloth is made in Germany then a small size, while the Italian sizes ar the worst, there I have 48 !! I think you have to say bosom, because it comes in a package of two anyway !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gatina, we sometimes have conversion charts here showing American, British and European sizes. Clearly there is not one European size.

      Delete
  11. Men are the worst clothes shoppers.. For a start I can hardly get P to even look at new gear and that's just the beginning :) I have two boobs but only one bosom Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is not usual for women to buy men's clothes. I doubt my father ever chose any clothing for himself once he was married. I am sure you have a fine bosom.

      Delete