Thursday, August 13, 2015

Redundant Post

This is a redundant post after yesterday's. I am struggling a bit in getting back to normal blogging mode after not blogging normally for so long and then the onslaught of our holiday posts. Normally I have a back log and I finish something and post it. I don't have a huge back log apart from some photo posts and perhaps you are a bit over photos posted by me for a few days. I do have some fires in the iron though, and a bit up my collar. I may have a cat video ready for Friday. Anyway, here is a clearing of an old unfinished post.

Apparently you can now read emails on your hi tech watch. I doubt I will ever have a watch that can read emails. I am a Luddite, stuck in the '90s tech world. No one has mentioned how you reply to email using your watch. It is a very small keyboard surface. Ah, the watch display comes from your phone. So why not just read the email on your phone?

Reading email on my phone is not something I have done either. Why would you when this big monitor and keyboard makes email fast and now, nearly faultless. For some who can afford a mobile phone but not a desktop computer, I do understand.

Unless there is a serious jump in technology, perhaps to where I can think things and they will be typed, I will remain the 90s Luddite.

Take what you want from technology, but just because it is there, it does not make it useful or sustainable.

Nevertheless, I have some brilliant phone apps that can inform me in a tenth of the time it would take me to find on the desktop.

Yep, the tech world is an amazing place. Take from what you need and like and leave the rest. But don't forget, you will not know how good something is until you try it.

19 comments:

  1. I think I'll go find a pen pal... And here I thought I was the only person who referred to themself as a Luddite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not alone by any means.
      I too am a Luddite. And spend more than enough time connected electronically. I really don't want to add to that.

      Delete
    2. Yep Jac, pen pals...bring 'em back.

      EC, I certainly agree with enough time is enough with the internet.

      Delete
  2. I can't read much of anything on the damn phone, without finding my reading glasses somewhere, so I stick to the nice big screen and keyboard also. Auto correct on the phone I have is more than annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, by some of the texts I have received from young relatives, they don't stress about auto correct. If the reader can't understand what they mean, then it the reader's fault.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, yes the tecg is amazing today but I love your posts..Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only use what I personally need from all these new devices ! I don't want a huge watch hiding half of my arm, I don't want a smartphone, I prefer my tablet and above all I prefer to do all writing on my computer !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, you have to step up to a smart phone. They can do so many useful things, including telling you when you about to get hit with a rain storm when you are sitting out in the sunshine.

      Delete
  5. The watch is a loser in my opinion. As you say, too small to be of any use. And is a phone really so huge that you can't lug it around with you? I think not. Something of a mis step by Apple I fear. They will sell lots of them for the novelty value but I don't see it having staying power. I'm a fan of technology in all it's forms but I draw the line when it is simply not practical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, it is a bit of a gimmick thing, yes? It seems Australians are quite good at taking on technology to the extreme for things they find useful.

      Delete
  6. I get lots of emails that say "sent from my i-phone", it's an automatic addition to emails sent by phone. I prefer to use my laptop, it has larger keys ad a screen I can see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I recall once writing a post with the last line, Not Sent from my Iphone. A smart phone is good for when you are out and about but no substitute for a proper computer and keyboard.

      Delete
  7. Hah I don't want one of those bloody watches. I hate wearing a watch.
    I got called a luddite recently because I had an ipod classic. Seriously! What of my vinyl collection and radiogram then eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, ipod classic is a good example. You use it for music and it still does the job it has always done. Radiogram! I am impressed.

      Delete
  8. Very true Andrew.. But I'm 100% positive I will never wear anything on my wrist that tells me more than the time and the date :) Aimee wears a device that monitors her every move calorie and exercise wise, too horrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, and I don't even wear a watch.

      Delete
  9. I've been very quick to adopt all manner of Apple products once I got over my initial resistance to them but the Apple watch is one product that still leaves me cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Victor, given it would only work if connected to you phone.

      Delete