Saturday, August 22, 2015

House guests

Is it not enough to have one house guest who is not very active and content to just watch tv? Oh no, tonight R is sleeping with me in my bed. I'd better be alert to groping hands. Actually, it might be quite nice to have a spoon in bed together.

It is Non Dreaded Nephew's partner's birthday and apparently the celebrations involve a very late night with a conclusion at an inner suburban northern venue called The Railway Hotel. Hippie Niece is joining them, but with five already sleeping on the floor for the night (that may well be the late morning) there is no room at the inn, so Hippie Niece will stay with us, arriving by taxi at who knows what time. R kindly gave up his bed and I am forced to accept R's company for the night in mine. Err, so I have kind of given up my bed too. I expect I may pass Hippie Niece at 5am when I get up for work as she is back here to sleep.

Hotel Highrise will officially close for a month beginning 25/08/15 when not so ill Brother Friend departs. No visitors welcome and no bookings taken. No social invitations accepted either. We really need to be bored for a few weeks.

Oh lordy, forgot about Brighton Antique Dealer's 80th birthday party next Friday at a posh place within a ten minute walk for home. It never ends.

I composed an sms to Dreaded Nephew but I won't send it. He won't want the old gay uncle texting him with old man advice. It goes with out saying that he would look after his sister and any friend. He is a good lad. 'Look after your sister tonight and see her home safely to here. Happy Birthday and best wishes to H for Monday.' We'll send H birthday wishes via Facebook on the day.

17 comments:

  1. Goodness me Hotel Highrise is busier than Grand Central Station :) Spooning you say, oh la!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it such a pleasant thing to do for fifteen minutes until I get too hot. Literally hot, that is.

      Delete
  2. Andrew your flat is so crowded now but you are very kind person..Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it does not feel like it is our place at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Benjamin Franklin had it right when he said: "After three days guests and fish begin to stink."

    You could always put a board down the middle of your bed? Your innocence must be preserved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, I did not know it was a Franklin quote. Our late friend Dame M used to say that but she cut it to two days. He slept on top of the doona, so I remain the innocent.

      Delete
  4. A Brighton Antique Dealer's 80th birthday party next Friday at a posh place??? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I will write a bit about it after the event.

      Delete
  5. Must be a busy time at your end, greetings and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogoratti, it is, but it will all settle down soon.

      Delete
  6. The purportedly Chinese curse 'may you live in interesting times' has always struck me as particularly vicious. Boredom is fine.
    Love the generosity you and R show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, much as I complain, I don't mind really. If I feel I am approaching boredom, which is rare, I make something happen.

      Delete
  7. Overnight visitors are not uncommon at our inner city dwelling either. I don't mind hosting from time to time but our apartment is small and it does feel like we are a hotel sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, it is the curse of living near the city. Have you ever thought of Point Cook?

      Delete
  8. I'm not keen on short term day visitors, overnight visitors would drive me barmy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, day time visitors must be entertained. If they are overnight visitors, less so. Show them where stuff is and tell them to make themselves at home.

      Delete