Thursday, August 27, 2015

Disjointed briefy

Guns don't kill people, as we are told. As I tell you, people with guns kill people. Farmers need a gun at times, maybe a .303 that kills quickly and cleanly. Perhaps a shot gun too but I am less certain about that. Probably not.

People of the US, you only need a gun to protect yourself if everyone else has a gun. Is that so hard to understand? Ban guns and you won't need a gun to protect yourself against guns. Also, you might have a good hard look at funding of your mental health care system, not that Australia is at angelic in that area.

I saw the clip of the reporter and camera man being shot, online. What was worse to me and more shocking was seeing the edited version on our ABC TV. It was worse and more shocking to not see what was happened than to actually see it. Imagination is a powerful beast.

PS My most humble apologies to Chris, the husband of John Gray of Wales, for our weather. I cannot remember a day like today for a long time where precipitation barely ceased. Combine that with trams being off the tracks because of an industrial dispute........well his timing for a visit to Melbourne could not have been worse.

PPS If you are not a reader of the blog of John Gray of Wales, then it is your loss but surely you will get a laugh from his most recent post.  Like he needs more readers!

18 comments:

  1. Imagination is indeed powerful, and yes people with guns kill. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Yank agrees with you, vociferously.

    It's insidious and frightening, this cult of the gun... my oldest brother, who I generally regarded as fairly sensible, now owns an AK-47! You don't 'go hunting' with something like that, unless you're hunting humans. He and his wife give their grandchildren handguns for Xmas!

    We are all corporate boobs here, completely incapable of following the money trail to see who is actually benefiting from the rampant stupidity and violence. I despair, I truly do.

    And I want out of the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, a bit of keeping up with the Jones' for some people, I think. The money trail, now you are talking. It is very big business.

      Delete
    2. Hand-guns as children's Christmas gifts???
      How many more children need to be accidentally shot or accidentally shoot themselves?
      The whole thing makes me nauseous.

      Delete
  3. We have TV tonight so saw the video clip...dreadful. People over there say it takes away their freedom of right if they don't have a gun...when will they learn! Maybe never...there are many sick minded people out there in this world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it will be a long time but people must keep nibbling away at the 'right'.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, in my country having gun for private matters is forbidden and the same is in the most countries in Europe. The situation in US is awful... nightmare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yet it felt such a safe place to visit.

      Delete
  5. I avoided that clip. I don't own a gun...but everyone else seems to. I have a bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, are you living under siege from bad people?

      Delete
  6. Guns DO kill people. With the assistance of other people. Sometimes intentional, sometimes accidental. I have seen statistics which indicate that the 'intruder' most commonly killed is a family member, coming home unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I haven't seen those stats, so most interesting........and alarming.

      Delete
  7. I was stunned earlier when I read that Walmart in the US won't sell guns anymore... SERIOUSLY, I can't believe they did in the first place, have you seen the people who shop at Walmart!!!! People with guns will always shoot people, it's not going to stop.. the world gets more insane every day..
    P.s. I thoroughly enjoy reading John Gray in Wales, tres humourous take on his daily happenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They haven't stopped selling guns, just one type of assault rifle, the AR 15.

      Delete
  8. I missed seeing that clip on TV, but I'm sure there'll be something in the weekend papers.
    I have a look at John Gray's site now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never needed a gun and I've been faced with some horrific dangers. I did have a gun when I first went to Alaska,climbed Bear Mountain in the twilight of the near 24 hour sun. And got scared up a tree by a freight train sized bear. I had a gun but I never considered using it. I just clung to the tree I somehow climbed (don't recall climbing it) and waited it out. The bear lumbered off. But I've been shot at twice when trapping cats, for no good reason either. One time, last year in Lebanon, trapping in one yard, a woman comes out of another house, demanding to know what I'm doing, wasn't her yard, weren't her cats I was trapping. She then admitted I was lucky hadn't shot me. Really. For what? I didn't know what to say. I wanted to say "you crazy bitch". I just continued trapping and tried to ignore her. Too many crazies with guns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Strayer, there are special bear defence products now, I think. I hope the woman was making a point and that she would not shoot someone. Lengthy gaol terms and worse don't seem to much of a deterrent.

    ReplyDelete