Saturday, August 08, 2015

Day 21 US, 11/07, NY, Empire State Building

It is Saturday and we peaked early last night and as every night in our cool flat, we slept well. We will beat the crowds to the Empire State Building. We walked to Times Square, just ten minutes or less, and caught a train on the Not Quite Right line, that is we took an N or Q or R train to the station nearest the Empire State. Being such an old building, I never thought of it as being especially tall, in spite of seeing photos of it. It is very tall. Melbourne's tallest building is Eureka Tower at 297 metres with 91 storeys . Empire State is 443 metres with 102 storeys (and higher ceilings, no doubt).

We left the subway at Herald Square and even just after 9am it was busy and there were queues, very fast moving queues. As I mentioned once before, America deals with large crowds very well. Around and around and up we went in the queue system and finally we were on the observation deck.


More art deco than you can absorb.




This is the reward and it was breathtaking.



This gives you an idea of the layout of Manhattan. We are roughly midtown and this is looking south to Lower Manhattan and Downtown. The very tall building there is the new One World Trade Centre, built to replace the World Trade Centre. To your right is Hudson River with its far bank being the state of New Jersey. To the left is East River with its far bank being the New York borough of Brooklyn.


There she is, and I so wanted to see the flat iron building with my own eyes. I saw a nice photo of it the other day with trams passing it by, clearly several decades ago.


See the towers of similar buildings near to the East River? We were told they are City of New York public housing and there are 110 of these towers.


The Chrysler building in my opinion is more attractive, but you won't see the attractive exterior from the building itself. We had been issued with headphones with boxes, and you had to press buttons to get a commentary on what you are seeing. How much better were the boxes for Melbourne's David Bowie exhibition that did it all automatically.


It's impossible to count the number of art deco buildings. They are just everywhere.


Now I am looking Uptown, towards Harlem on the far side of Central Park. Beyond Harlem is the borough of The Bronx. I have been checking about Manhattan being called an island and there does seem to be some disagreement. Yes, it is surrounded by water, but the northern end is only a quite normal river, the Harlem River. Central Park is massive and if it did not exist, it would have to be made, I think.  


Meanwhile back on the ground....





R generally did not drag me into shops during our travels, but Macy's was irresistible.  I bought a shirt, discounted by 65% and then at the counter the pleasant woman who served me offered me a coupon that gave me a further 20% off. R did not miss out either.


One guide somewhere misinformed us that R H Macy and his wife drowned in the sinking of the Titanic. Not so. Macy had sold the business Isidor Straus, who along with his wife, did die when the Titantic sank.



Back to Times Square. These people dressed up as characters were everywhere, posing with tourists for photos and tips. They can be a little on the aggressive side. They caught me for a photo shoot. I only tipped them $2. Hey man, there five of us, as we walked on.


The timeball post to drop to mark New Year's Eve.



I can't recall why I took this photo.


More amusement at the Revlon screen. #loveison.


Finally defeated by a New York meal I could not finish at Scallywags, an Irish pub on 9th Avenue. There was some potato left.



I think we then walked back up 9th Avenue for a drink in the gay bar we had visited earlier and then back to the flat.

30 comments:

  1. Nathan and I visited the Empire State Building last year. We went late at night and the queues were long (we waited for over 2 hours before finally making it up to the top).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, the views must be quite spectacular at night and I guess it was worth wait. We did pretty well in the morning then.

      Delete
  2. One of my dreams is to stand atop the Empire State bldng., alas - my sweetheart suffers from a terrible fear of heights.Looks like a lovely meal was had at the Irish pub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, GS can stand at the bottom and wave up at you then. The meal was very nice, with rather strong garlic butter over the beans.

      Delete
  3. Wow, makes me want to visit NY! Too much to take in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, that really was a special moment for me.

      Delete
  4. Incredible views.
    Too much art deco would be barely enough. Love that it is surviving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I did not notice one really old building. Everything seemed to have built post WWI, which means in the case of tall buildings, they are big enough to get a good return from.

      Delete
  5. So many tall buildings, I only just remember when the Empire State was the tallest in the world now just one of many.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yes, it would have been for a long time. Many taller now, but are there any better?

      Delete
  6. So much art deco, it's making me giddy <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, while a novelty to me, I guess if you live among it, it is just there and seldom noticed.

      Delete
  7. My very first visit to Macys, they kept taking more % off, and in the end I said to them, are you sure you don't want to pay *me* to take this away? My $100 item ended up being $7. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Snoskred. I felt like saying the same as you did.

      Delete
  8. I piked out of the Empire State Building so enjoyed your tour. We did go to the top of Rockefeller Centre; not as tall but a good view nonetheless and, of course, from there you can see ESB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I am sure the Rockefeller Centre would be quite good and not as busy.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful interiors and the view is wonderful. You were lucky having a nice sunny day to take in that view too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little hazy Craig, but pretty good for NY I expect.

      Delete
  10. I got dizzy on the Empire State Building, cars looked like ants !
    Macy is an interesting shop !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, it is a very tall building. I was surprised. Macy's was great, and so cheap.

      Delete
  11. The food serves are huge everywhere in the US. shocking really.
    Thanks for sharing all that summer wonderful I think Central Park is 125 acres [or 32 hectares] and it has essential water tanks and reservoirs. Manhattan is just fascinating. So crammed with activity and just think of this one thing: how much CREAM is consumed there in just one day, and that the 5 borough bridges must be full of trucks hauling it all in to those food places.
    Macy's is such an institution - the Macys' Thanksgiving Day Parade of giant inflated things is something we've all seen in movies + TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally Ann, we were quite sensible about ordering food and did not have big meals. The logistics of supplying Manhattan with food and everything else required for the city to function is beyond my comprehension.

      Yep, forget Harrods and Selfridges. Macy's is the department store for me. I've heard of the parade but not seen it.

      Delete
  12. fantastic and breathtaking views

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, perhaps the highlight of our visit to New York.

      Delete
  13. Just been back to catch up on your trip Andrew. Oh my what a view, I really enjoyed it through your eyes, my eyes will never be up there :) The flatiron building is incredible, saw them in Paris, such an unusual design, can't help thinking of the wasted space :) would love to visit MOMA, our art gallery does many collaborations with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes wasted space but fully utilising the available land. The corners in this one are probably bigger than they appear.

      Delete
  14. I had forgotten just how much art deco exists in New York. A lovely clear day for a visit to the top of the most iconic building in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, as someone who knew little about New York, the art deco was a surprise to me.

      Delete
  15. Love all the art deco, although it isn't something I'd want in my own home. Those 'stepped' buildings look like the sort of toys we had as kids where you could press down on the top and the whole thing would fold in on itself.
    The views from the ESB are truly lovely, but so many buildings and only one patch of green, no wonder Central Park is so popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I know exactly what you mean about those folding cardboard things. I had forgotten them. There are a few small parks in Manhattan, but Central Park really takes the cake.

      Delete