Thursday, August 06, 2015

Day 19 US, 09/07, NY River Cruise & 911 Pt 2

We left the cruise boat towards the tip of Lower Manhattan. A nice little water feature at Rockefeller Park.



Standing atop the Irish Hunger Memorial.


Gazing up at the One World Trade Centre.


The memorials for the victims of 911 are huge. There are two of these. In spite of the number of visitors, it was very quiet.





Not sure about this.



We paused for some lunch and  a cool down on Broadway and eventually discovered where the hop on hop off bus stop was. That was not easy. Eventually I did the most unmanly thing and asked.



Again we were crawling along atop the bus, this time in Lower Manhattan.


Apple has a bank?


I don't even remember seeing these old ships. Heat stroke, probably.


Chimney outline.


Chinatown followed I think by Little Italy.


Very expensive little pad up top.



Oh look, Empire State building. Saving her for another day.



Instead of circling up towards Central Park, we left the bus at 5th Avenue and thought we would get the subway back but we (that is the royal we. R trusts me to get this stuff right) became a little confused.




We sat at the Rockefella Centre Plaza for a while, as I worked out it would be just as easy to walk on what was now a hot afternoon than descend the subway stairs to Hades.




Back at Times Square we began to look around at the different theatre performances at each venue. This was, I suppose, a photo shoot to promote a musical.


I have never seen a bus like this before, with sideways seating and the tiered passengers looking straight out the side of the bus.


We looked at the many shows on offer, including a new production of an old favourite, On the Town. Yes, and to those of you who informed me about the line from musical, The Bronx is up and Battery is down, it was useful for the first day or so.


I didn't fancy very many of the shows. I had seen some of them or R had seen some of them. We enquired about one show and the tickets were quite expensive. I thought we should try to get some cheaper tickets next day when we felt fresh, but R was determined to see something that night. While it is essentially a kids musical, we decided on Maltida. I was won over by the music being written by Australian Tim Minchin. It was still quite expensive but the seats were good.


Our early dinner was the left over Chinese food from a couple of nights ago and the performance began at 7.30. The show was very entertaining and the young female lead, I think Fina Strazzer, was just superb.



As we left the theatre, down came the rain. While we did not have far to walk, we ended up quite wet. Naturally the rain stopped as soon as we were back at our flat.

35 comments:

  1. Andrew the Memorial of 9 11 is definitely huge. The Aplle bank really interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, not sure why there is an Apple bank, assuming it is the same Apple.

      Delete
  2. You saw so much, much energy is requires for all that sightseeing.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me Merle, we didn't do too much and moved very slowly.

      Delete
  3. You are making the most of your time in NY. Haven't seen Matilda but maybe I should. I found the 9/11 memorial quite moving. The Museum hadn't opened when I was there but I didn't feel I needed to see that. The silence as people filed past the memorials was profound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried and true storyline to the musical Marie, but really well done. Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo have just left London and they saw the same musical there.

      Delete
    2. Like you, the contemplation at the open site was enough for us. Unfortunately the details are still quite clear in my mind.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I could go to the 9/11 Memorial; such a burden of grief that ground bears...

    So much to see and do whilst in NYC. I've cousins who live across the river in 'Joisey', and they filled my head with dreams of going to the 'Big Apple'. Love the building you photographed in Chinatown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, I, nay we, felt an obligation to see it. You can't help feeling a little emotional among the quiet crowds. I can't say I loved New York, but I am pleased I saw it.

      Delete
  5. agree with Jacqueline above, that memorial 'so very quiet' for a good reason.
    'Little Italy' - Scorsese's home and The Marx Bros grew up on it's boundary. so fascinating that Manhattan has so many distinct villages. That sideways bus is great. Hang the expense you had to have a Broadway experience, and of course the kid was great - can you imagine what it took for her to get to that stage? New York City! - I often think how funny if there was a worldwide moratorium on tourism for just one week and people could experience their hometown minus all tourists. First, Japan would sink under the weight of it's population all at home, 2nd, the DailyMail royal haters would see straightaway the touri€m value of Her Maj + team, and 3rd, NYC would be seen to not quieten down one bit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I guess she got there by a very competitive audition. She doesn't seem to be listed on the website at the moment. It is hard to imagine NY, London and Paris empty of tourists, but I didn't go to London to see the Queen.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the fun: image 18 "very expensive little pad" intrigued me so off I went and it is in SoHo [south of Houston] in the Greenwich Village area and was very rundown for this photo - which led me to the blog of the movie locations scout which has a hilarious tour of the NYC we know from movies

    I had a marvellous time when I put "manhattan rooftop living" into guggle image search. OMG the wealth there is. criminal wealth really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, you have the luxury of time. I thought it was east side and Greenwich Village is west side? No matter. Very amusing tour of NYC. Try this one, which I had forgotten. A controlled rent person has a flat down Christopher Street way, $700 per month. With a large terrace with terrific views of the city, it should be let for about $15,000 per month.

      Delete
  7. ah - a 10-y-o cannot do 8 gruelling performances a week, of course there's 4 of them sharing - Ms Strazza has her own strazza.com and her Mom is a pro, and the effort to get on a Broadway stage would make the US Dept of Defence activity look like just a Weekend At Bernie's.
    So glad you saw a good show about loving books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of which is surprising, I suppose. She was really so good though. The web site I looked at to check did not have her name listed. Fortunately I had noted her name down.

      Delete
  8. That edifice that you weren't sure about? Me either. I am tending to the negative though. What was it? Do you know? Part of the memorial?
    You really did cover a lot of ground. I was 'xausted' just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry EC, which photo? Ah, got it now. It was near the 911 memorial but I am not sure if it was part of it. It seemed to be still under construction. I am glad you drew my attention to it and I should take a closer look. Because the morning was cool, we felt fine to make it a big day.

      Delete
    2. It looks to be something with wings about to take off, perhaps the souls of the dead? A memorial?

      Delete
    3. River, I've made a note to investigate. I did eventually remember the photo of the hotel room.

      Delete
  9. Not that I've seen it but I think they did a really good job with those huge water pools at the memorial. I'm not sure what it is I like but it seems to fit the bill.... abyss, water soothing, something like that. You're certainly packing a lot in! As you should... having traveled so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, in my imagination, I could not image how to create a memorial, and I think what was done is pretty damn good. It was a full on day, yet perhaps our best day there.

      Delete
  10. I am back from my holidays in England ! I have been to New York years ago, loved the city !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you stay Gattina?

      Delete
  11. Hope the rain cooled you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, nope. Little cooled us down in NY. I knew it would the hot, but I did not realise how hot and humid it would be. Sounds a bit like your weather really.

      Delete
  12. Matilda! Nice to hear an Australian is doing well.
    The Memorial looks rather large, but good to see through your camera.
    Enjoyed your tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the memorials are huge! Yes, but there isn't too much Australian connection, I don't think.

      Delete
  13. Nice pics. I haven't been there since I was a teen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, I am sure it has changed a bit in ten years.

      Delete
  14. New York is looking very nice through your eyes, but I still don't want to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, as you would have realised, the heat really got to us and we would have enjoyed it so much more if it was cooler, and walked a lot more.

      Delete
  15. oh look at that place up top, with the weather vane. I want to live up there! Can you imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, isn't it Fen.

      Delete
  16. We also saw Matilda there for seats costing about $75 from the Times Square outlet. Three other shows were a similar cost from there.

    The one play we saw that wasn't available through the Times Square outlet cost us $245 each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cheap Victor. We paid considerably more, but had we have not done it for that night, we may never have done it. $245, ouch! I had not realised Matilda had been running for that long.

      Delete