Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Day 19 US, 09/07, NY River Cruise & 911 Pt 1


We decided today to avail ourselves of the river cruise included with hop on hop off bus ticket. These little fenced off areas at tree bases are all over New York. Nice.



I am not sure why, but split system air conditioners seem less popular in New York than here, Canada too for that matter. But why does not in a large building like this have central air conditioning? This is a residential building, so it is up to owners to have air con and with it probably being useless for winter heating, they just stick with these old style units for cooling.


It seemed to be a straightforward walk to the Hudson River, from 8th Avenue to 12th and Pier 78. It wasn't. The street became quite industrial with difficult roads to cross. I think we were catching the 10am boat and we only just made it to the Jolly Roger.

It wasn't too busy and there was a lovely cool breeze blowing on the river, the only time we ever felt cool in New York when outside.


The onboard commentary was informative.


Near where the ill fated Titanic was going to berth this building on the right has been constructed with its surface appearing like ice in a reference to the Titanic.


For golf, I believe.


The hull of this emergency services boat is made from steel reclaimed from the Twin Towers site.


Where Twin Towers was, now is the One World Trade Centre, at times called the Freedom Tower.




Staten Island Ferry departing. The ferry is free.


Three bridges cross the rivers in succession, the Brooklyn, the Manhattan and the Williamsburg.


I am not sure which is which in some of the photos.




Battersea Power Station? No, but it may well be an old power station.


A famous carousel on the New Jersey side.


Watchtower, a publication by the Jehovah's Witness religious organisation.


Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges.


Governors Island, mostly used by the military, latterly the coastguard and now public space.



There she is. Who could miss seeing her. Our fellow passengers rushed to one side of the boat but the guide told us to stay where we were and maintain our space as the ferry would turn around and pass even closer on our side. We both took so many photos of her, some closer than this one but I like this one to show you some scale.


We are now around to Ellis Island, where immigrants were screened and processed, and sometime held, on the island between 1892 to 1954.


Was once a port railway station. I forget the detail.



Lackawanna is a city named after a steel company.


We arrived back where we started and stayed on to the next stop at Rockafella Park. Part 2 tomorrow.

Ah yes, River asked for a photo of our room at the Royal York in Toronto. Here is one but unfortunately we already messed up the room a bit.


22 comments:

  1. Good idea to get the early boat as it seems to be quite empty. You remembered a lot about the buildings you could see but I had to laugh about your comments on the bridges and not knowing which was which because I had the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, yes the boat began quite empty but picked up along the way. It was never crowded though. The next trip, which we did one stop of, was busier. I could have spent half an hour here identifying each bridge, but is not important.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, the central AC is not so popular in some residential housesIt depends on the owners. The Tower of freedom is nice thanks for sharing. Ellis Island the place were my relatives were screened..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, AC is not so important for you, although where you are now must be hot. Yes, I think most immigrants came via Ellis Island.

      Delete
  3. Central AC is expensive so many building owners, landlords don't go for it. I've never had AC in my life til I lived in a slum shack in Corvallis, barely heated either, with a stand alone gas furnace that blew heat only one direction. But my brother came up once and it was about 120 degrees inside the shack and he went and found a window unit and put it in my window. Then I fared better. But here, in this house, which he owns, I have a heat pump, so I have temperature control inside now. First time in my life. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, you have really hot weather where you are, so I am surprised at what you say. I can't think of any commercial premises here that would not have air con, apart from perhaps a small low rent shop. We once had a rental flat and when the space heater burned out, it was cheaper to replace it with a reverse cycle air con unit. I am not sure about heat pump. Is that the same as when our air con units heat the room? But it doesn't cool.

      Delete
  4. I like pic #14 (close up bridge) the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, my pick too. That one is the Manhattan Bridge.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, I like the wall colour a lot. It looks a nice room.
    I imagine the cost and difficulty of installing split systems would be a deterrent for most people, especially factoring in the uselessness of trying to heat in the winter. Central heating for buildings that size would be so much better, but rents etc would have to be higher to cover the cost of running and that wouldn't cool the building in summer. The window units aren't pretty though.
    I like the bridge photos and "The Lady".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think you have summed up the air con situation pretty well. The bathroom, although very glitzy, was the smallest we had and a bit awkward.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tour! I enjoyed seeing the buildings and bridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure Jo. I see you had a little break away too.

      Delete
  7. I always like a river tour. A different perspective. Often a gentler one.
    Loved the Lady, and the Freedom Tower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am just thinking back and aside from the 14 day river cruise last year, we must have taken a dozen of these short cruises and they really are great.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your river tour don't really like boats much but do like bridges and tall buildings on the waters edge.
    The green lady is always good to look at.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, pretty exciting to see her up close. She's a big lass.

      Delete
  9. I loved seeing NYC through your eyes. Equally glad you weren't wandering around Central Park after dark!
    Don't know what type of books you enjoy reading, but you might find it worthwhile to search out The Alienist by Caleb Carr. He is a historian, mainly a military historian, who wrote an outstanding historical murder mystery that places you in the midst of turn of the (20th) century New York city. The detail is magnificent, and his prose makes you feel as though you were there. Everything, and everyone, mentioned is researched down to the last detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, only a couple more days in NY and that is the end of traveller's tales. I think Central Park would be very dark at night, and no, I wouldn't. I've made a note of the book, thank you.

      Delete
  10. That seems like a very sensible way to obtain a unique perspective of the city with the added bonus of natures air conditioning. Ellis Island is quite grand isn't it, a bit theatrical and to my eyes almost a little bit Russian looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, the Ellis Island building seems like nothing else I saw in New York. Grr, how come Manhattan rolls off my fingers but every time I type New York, I make a mistake.

      Delete
  11. A free freely, we will chalk that one up.
    Pretty garden around the trees, lucky they can keep it there but obviously they do.
    Great photo of the statue....looks extremely large.
    Ellis Island, had no idea it was a lovely building. There is a song about Annie Moore from Ireland and Ellis Island, lovely lyrics, song sung by Tommy Fleming..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess New York pays for the ferry. Yes, we never saw any flower beds or whatever damaged. The statue is pretty damn big. Thanks for the music link.

      Delete