Monday, August 03, 2015

Day 17 US, 07/07, To New York

Toronto suburban trains.



The UP Express arriving.


Along the way to the airport. We used our Presto cards and each of us had only a few dollars left on the cards. If I could be bothered trying, I wonder if they would refund the balance to you when you are overseas.



Wi fi and power on board.


Spaghetti roads around the airport.


We were held at the airport for perhaps 20 minutes waiting for New York airport congestion to clear. Our bags took quite a long time to appear at La Guardia Airport, New York. We paid for the express bus to New York's Port Authority Bus Terminal, with a station exit a few metres from our apartment door. The bus was due at 3pm and arrived at 3.15. It was a fast trip to the city, specifically Manhattan until the we reached Manhattan itself. I believe we used Queens Midtown Tunnel to cross under East River to Manhattan, and there we are, right in the heart of New York and mostly stationary. The traffic has to be seen to be believed. Traffic lights are as close as ten metres apart. Our driver was fortunately quite aggressive, so we did better than many other vehicles. Here we are, just inside the Port Authority Bus Terminal and in slight shock at the numbers of people and vehicles and the volume of noise.



We stayed in Times Square in West 40th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues. After a decent wait, we were let in by a lass but not really shown anything. The flat was spacious enough, well equipped and spotlessly clean. R took the bed and I had the bed settee, which I found more comfortable to leave folded up for sleeping. There was a considerable slope of the floor and R's beds was on castors and each morning he would find the bed had rolled a couple of feet away from the wall.


The air conditioner was effective enough, especially as I turned it on and left it on for six days. It had light weight flexible plastic each side, which did not keep out the noise.


The door opens to the bathroom. The water pressure was awful and hot water could take over ten minutes to arrive. You had to plan ahead a little if you wanted hot water.


There were two flights of stairs to reach the flat. They were steep and without a rest point except between flights. I walk stairs at home at times, and these two flights are the equivalent of five flights at home. By the end of our stay, we had both lost weight and found the stairs a bit easier as our muscles built up.


We settled in and then went a couple of doors along to the Beer Authority for a drink and a snack. So many beers to choose from and we knew only one, Leffe Blond, apparently a French beer, but I always thought it was Belgian.


A passing shower did not relieve the humidity.


Food shopping to do, wine to buy, clothes to wash. We got busy after eventually finding a laundromat. We had misread the information and thought the flat came with a washing machine. We ordered dinner from the Chinese downstairs and a meal for one was big enough for both of us, with enough left over for another meal another night. A one hour and a half hour flight seemed to have taken the whole day almost and we were quite weary. New York rubbish is not put out by residents and businesses in bins for collection, but in strong plastic bags.


The sirens eventually died away and we slept well enough.

Here is another amusing ditty by The Arrogant Worms. If you miss some of the clever lyrics, they are written in the drop down box.

31 comments:

  1. An apartment on 40th Street! Really close to Times Square action and a mere 57 blocks south of where we stayed last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it was certainly a busy and interesting place to stay.

      Delete
  2. the canadian trains have a different shape from europe. your location in ny was perfecet but i think busy. definitely world is a global village the kitchen style is the same as in europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I had never seen trains that shape before. Quite unusual.

      Delete
  3. That was a amusing song.
    A rolling bed a bit of a worry.
    I know what you are saying about the size of the meals, in most of USA the beer fairy and i shared most meals.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I must make mention of the menus, with starters and then entrees.

      Delete
  4. Don't you get a real buzz from being in NY. Sounds as though that apartment is quite functional and near the action. Not too many subway trips needed. Another amusing ditty. Keep them rolling as I am really enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, perhaps better described as an electric shock than a buzz. It was really nice to just be on own in the flat.

      Delete
  5. Loved the sub-titles. And the way they didn't match the words.
    New York looks way too busy for my introverted self, but I do love seeing it from the safety of home.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I did not notice they did not match. You can be anything you want in New York, including being introverted.

      Delete
  6. "the numbers of people and vehicles and the volume of noise"
    Right there is a reason for me to avoid New York. Poor water pressure and over ten minutes for hot water to arrive is another reason. You want a third reason? Piles of black garbage bags. Imagine a pack of hungry dogs tearing into that.
    In that first picture, the green and white trains look like plastic toys.
    Your flat does look well appointed and sparkling clean, that's a bonus and getting fitter by climbing all those stairs has to be a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am not sure things work outside Manhattan, but there certainly were any dogs around other than those on a leash. There is a big rat problem, but we didn't see any. The rubbish doesn't stay around long. It's a continual process of putting it out, collection and then more goes out. The wait for hot water only happened when a neighbour had not pulled hot water through. The pressure, pathetic.

      Delete
  7. Love the video :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a slope to your floor? Why? That might make me seasick trying to "level" everything with my brain. However, I have had such problems, beds on rollers and I jam the rollers with some torn cardboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, there was very little in the room that was straight. Floors, walls, surfaces...........and of course the occupants.

      Delete
    2. I have little plastic cups under the bed wheels, got them cheap at a hardware store, they're made specifically for the castors on furniture, with a shallow groove to hold the wheel.

      Delete
    3. River, I remember them from years ago and they would have done the trick, but we would have missed the laugh.

      Delete
  9. now when you watch Seinfeld ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, what is this Seifeld thing you speak of? Seriously, I have never watched it. I rather wish I had seen NY before the tv show NYPD.

      Delete
  10. Ahhh NYC the city that never sleeps.It is exciting to visit there. Not sure I would like all those steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill would like them even less, I think.

      Delete
  11. I could do with steps like that at the moment :)
    I laughed when I read about R's bed :)
    I would have to see to believe the traffic, people & noise...interesting the strong rubbish bags...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, we certainly laughed the first morning when the bed had moved. We figured the better he slept, the less the bed moved. If he did not sleep well, the bed travelled further.

      Delete
  12. That room was rather Spartan. I like it
    After reading the comments, I had to watch the anthem they wrote.
    Looks like they drew it on "doodle buddy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, less to break, I suppose. It was a good size.

      Delete
  13. Are the suburban trains in Toronto a bit of a different shape? Sloping floor, how weird :) NY sounds way too... everything for me Andrew but I'm very much enjoying your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, sure are a different shape to what I have seen. Although we travelled on the underground there, I don't think these trains are used there. NY is an excessive place.

      Delete
  14. I'm pleased that you made it to NYC for R. I couldn't be dragged back there by a pack of wild dogs but I look forward to your take. I think it's a bit of a marmite (vegemite?) place. You either get it, or you don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I am glad I saw it, but once is enough for me. Perhaps I am among those who don't get it.

      Delete
  15. Wow, a moving bed, huh?! Of all the things I thought you'd see in NY that wasn't one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I am really pleased no one said anything about ghosts.

      Delete