Saturday, August 01, 2015

Day 15 Canada, 05/07, Toronto

Our hotel looks mighty impressive viewed from down here. We had popped in to Union Station to buy our public transport Presto cards.


The shores of Lake Ontario are this way. Let's go. I want some breakfast. It is actually a harbour where we went. Down York Street we strolled. It was still cool enough on the streets.


It appeared three trams routes use this line.


Ah, older trams too. Strangely the old and the new are still using poles to connect to the electric wires, rather than pantographs. It is quite expensive to convert the trams and wires but with pantographs, there are fewer delays caused by the pole coming off the wire. As you can see, we found somewhere for a bite.


We wandered along the waterfront.


There are islands offshore before you reach the massive Lake Ontario. The far and not visible shore of the lake is in the United States.


I am not against phallicism.





The islands are for pleasure. Had we another day in Toronto.............


Why is the car on the tram track? One of two we saw. I am sure this is not right, but it happens here in Melbourne too.


Armed with our Presto cards, we boarded the 510 to get closer to the hub of town. We can't use our card on older trams and had to pay the uninterested driver, who I am sure would have been happier had we not put him to the bother of having cash paying customers.


The Gardiner Expressway is old and tired and a decision has to be made, demolish and invent new roads, or repair and reinstate the freeway. While it is very convenient to get out of the centre of town, I may slightly favour demolishing and reinvent the roads. The freeway is an ugly and dividing blight. I really do not like above ground roads and train lines, as practical as they can be at times.


We left the tram at the corner of Queens Street West and Spadina Avenue and wandered, east west and north south.





There are some great old buildings and gardens but it was getting hot and we becoming tired of wandering. R stopped someone on the street to ask them where 'the action is'? They too were tourists but told us go to a particular street corner. I should have planned this better but we had no idea of what we would do when we left our hotel. I saw one street with tram tracks that abruptly ended and I then looked up and there was no overhead wires.


We ended up at a square on the corner of Dundas and Yonge Streets. Plenty was happening and this rapper from Vancouver wasn't too bad as we refreshed ourselves at the Hard Rock Cafe.


We had look around the nearby mostly underground shopping centre, blah, just like at home, and then caught the subway back to Union Station. Lordy, finally our Presto cards get a job to do.


With not an expert eye, but an experienced one, the subway was pretty damn good. It was rest time for us, in the heat of the afternoon. All over Canada the weather had been unusually warm and I recall in one place we visited back in BC, it was 38 degrees.


This new pathway with an exit/entrance opposite our hotel had just opened. I should do the research, but I am not, so I will guess these pathways are underground passages to get around town by foot especially in really cold weather.


The CN Tower is omnipresent.


We walked up York Street to find somewhere to eat and I think where we dined was another Earl's place, popular and we had a nice meal.

28 comments:

  1. wow your hotel looks lika a castle. car on the trak tram so common at my place - just crazy drives..Definitely a lot of nice building but I understand I hate walking in the hot days ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, but I was not a queen in the castle.

      Delete
  2. It is hard wandering around in the heat with no specific plan especially after all the travelling you have done so far. Good photos Andrew. They give me a good idea of what Toronto is like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it is an interesting city with a big city feel to it. A good knowledge of the tram and subway routes would be very helpful.

      Delete
  3. Looks like Chicago, a bit. The first pic reminds me of the merchandise mart in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Susie. The two cities are not that far away from each other. (My American geography has improved muchly)

      Delete
  4. Seems like there is less of interest in downtown Toronto itself unlike the Vancouver and Victoria waterfronts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, hard call on that one, especially with only one day to look around and no thought out exploration. It is certainly different to former cities and has more than one area of interest to attract visitors and locals.

      Delete
  5. What susie said; it does remind me a bit of Chicago, especially along the waterfront.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, well I don't have to visit Chicago then?

      Delete
    2. Pfffft! Don't miss Chicago, but definitely don't go in winter either. Wish the Silver Swan were still there, WONDERFUL place! You would enjoy the museums and aquarium there I think, particularly the Museum of Science and Industry. It isn't that far from us, and I went there fairly often when younger.

      Delete
    3. Improving my geographic knowledge as you type, Jac. In Australia, I have learnt rather a lot about Chicago with a murder committed there on an Australian and the terrible state of its car manufacturing economy, along with its vitality and resilience.

      Delete
  6. Your hotel does indeed look impressive.
    Phallicism? Not a word I have come across. Freud would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the right word was not there, so I made it up.

      Delete
  7. it appears you were a little disappointed with your wandering around day. A good idea in theory, but planning is better in hindsight, yes? I love the water-taxis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes. The day should have been planned, but it was interesting to just wander and see what we came across. Bit hard going in the unexpected heat.

      Delete
  8. The hotel is indeed huge. Toronto looks a little blah after the rockies but I suppose that's what I would expect. It looks to be more like an American city, whereas I think that Vancouver has a mixture of European and Asian about it. Perhaps even too big a metropolis for you to explore in your limited time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, Toronto is a big and American style city. Nothing wrong with that but I expect Vancouver is many people's favourite for good reasons.

      Delete
  9. I've never been to Toronto. The trams look so familiar! I'm with you, I don't much like elevated rail. It's practical but ugly and creates dark places underneath. Still, every big city has to make difficult transport choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, the trams were quite familiar. As a kid I remember the Warrigal Road and North Road railway gates, fascinating to us kids when we saw the gates closing and a train go past. The road over rail overpasses are awful and made both areas below no go zones. Trains should go under, as seems to happen now here.

      Delete
  10. It must be living "rural" for so long, but take me to a shopping centre, underground or otherwise, and I am like a deer in the headlights with all the awesomeness to look at. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny. They are places I usually try to avoid but inevitably visit often enough.

      Delete
  11. Looks a very large hotel, many rooms I expect, and hopefully you didn't get lost.
    The flowers look lovely in those pots..
    A day not planned can sometimes turn out better than those that are..but alas it seems yours wasn't the best..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, really, the day was fine. The gardens of Canada are just terrific and put ours to shame.

      Delete
  12. Hi Andrew.. I've just been looking back on your holiday posts, just knew the rail and bus services would get a thorough review :) looks like they mostly passed with flying colours! I'm with you on the shooting of Cecil, shocking that in this day and age people still trophy shoot.. If they need to make themselves feel more of a man they should get a penis implant!

    Andrew if you Google 'bus accident Perth 14th July' the young woman was my nephew's wife and the 3 yr old his daughter. Still hard to believe life can be so random.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, pretty much what I think of game hunters.

      Yes, I did work out what happened at the time although not your exact connection. So very sad and one of those things that no amount of driving skill or her part could have avoided. You just really wonder why at times.

      Delete
  13. I agree with others, that hotel looks magnificent, makes me dizzy just looking at it let alone climbing upstairs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Dezmond. I did have a look at the stairs actually and they are such a rabbit warren. At least the floors are laid out with some symmetry.

      Delete