Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Thinking out loud #1259

It is not the killing of Zimbabwe's famous lion Cecil by a trophy hunting tosser that troubles me the most. I just don't understand the pleasure people take in killing animals, especially those of the higher order.

A farmer does not take pleasure in killing wild animals that threaten his domestic animals or crops. A commercial fisher does not take pleasure in killing fish.

As I become older, even pleasure taken by sporting fishers and a lad fishing from a pier troubles me. What is good about killing fish, mind, sitting on a pier and fishing can be a very pleasant experience. Sport? Sport usually indicates some evenness between competitors. There is really no competition between human and beast.

Even those who are responsible for the mistreatment of animals for and during live export don't do so for pleasure.

I did some animal wrongs when I was young, and I regret them to this day. In my defence, my examples were bad and I did mostly grow up on a farm. I doubt most kids now would do the same with a much greater awareness of kindness towards creatures.

Nevertheless, wasn't Cecil such a regal beast. If there is a crime he can be charged with, I hope the killer will be, and including those who assisted. While there is much corruption and crime in many African countries when you examine conservation efforts, there is also a real passion by many to prevent the loss of wildlife by human killings.

Photo from the BBC.


20 comments:

  1. Snap.
    I really don't understand the sport OR the fun in killing. And don't want to either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, what can we do but shake our heads.

      Delete
  2. There is no fun in killing if one has even a modicum of compassion. I grew up on a farm as well, fortunately my 'Pa' was a man of extraordinary kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, as you would know, not all farmers were or are as kind as your father. I would leave compassion out of it. As you initially say, the fun in killing is the odd thing.

      Delete
  3. I'll tell you what wouldn't trouble me one iota, someone shooting this dentist with a bow and arrow, letting him wander around bleeding and hurt for 40 hours, then shooting him dead, and his murderers taking photos with him as a trophy.

    But they say two wrongs don't make a right, right? I think sometimes that old cliche might be wrong.

    I always put the fish back. I do love sitting on a jetty with a line in the water, but you know, I've enjoyed it just as much with no bait on the hook as well.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely put Snoskred, and don't many of us feel the base instinct to kill, especially someone like him.

      I do actually get fishing. I did a bit when younger. Never caught much and certainly did not eat what I caught. I think my father threw them back. I don't think fish suffer much more than a nerve response, but who knows.

      Delete
  4. I very much hope that they can find a way to extradite him back to Zimbabwe (with his over white bleached teeth) and he ends up in a rat infested Zimbabwe prison for ten years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a very nice outcome, Craig.

      Delete
  5. He was a majestic lion. I personally can't understand someone hunting animals for a trophy. He must be sick in the head or something. Just think, all his patients have no doubt help pay for this particularly bad habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Margaret, pretty glad he is not my dentist.

      Delete
  6. Hunters are another breed of people that I do not identify with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a beautiful animal ~ very sad indeed that the world is minus such a magnificent beast.

      Delete
  7. It is strange indeed that someone would take such joy and pride in killing someone like Cecil, letting him suffer injured for hours upon hours, even, it is said, removing an id collar on him, to prevent detection. However, this man had a history. He poached a bear, out of a hunting zone, then moved it into a hunting zone, to avoid penalty and was caught before. He has a history of rule breaking so he can kill what he wants where he wants. We haven't changed much. Settlers shot buffalo from trains going west for fun and ran wild buffalo into extinction. Native Americans ran entire herds of buffalo off cliffs. I wish we would evolve. I wish we could extend love and respect to animals. There are times to kill and it should not be done for fun. It creates an atmosphere, a culture that accepts killing and glorifies it and compassion is seen as a weakness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, extra detail, thanks. I think of him even worse now. I imagine the running of buffalo off the cliffs by the Natives had a purpose of some kind.

      Delete
  8. i totally agree stop killing animals

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with this so very much.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Killing for fun is just so very wrong. I bet when he was a kid he pulled wings and legs off insects. Mean to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just don't understand it either. I shake my head and wonder how they derive satisfaction from doing this.

    ReplyDelete