Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sunday Selections

A little break in holiday posts. Join with River and quite a number of others for Sunday Selections.

Some of these were taken a while ago. I can't remember why I took photos of the moon, apart from it being a kewl colour.



This was animated. Again, I am not sure where the photo was taken.


Travelling is all very well, but it comes at a price, both before and after. Being warmer inside than the place is in summer, clothes dry in a couple of days in the spare room.



What a nice idea at Pran Central. Free wi fi too.


We have been to see the marvellous David Bowie exhibition at ACMI, direct from the Victoria and Albert Museum. What a brilliant artist. There was plenty of music at the exhibition too. Yep, some people danced.


The day dawned clear.


I've never noticed condensation coming from this pipe before. I looks like a sewer vent pipe, but I am sure it isn't.


R indulged me with a trip on the new Regional Rail Link line. It diverts off the main Geelong line so that the Geelong and other country trains are out of the mix with suburban trains. While the distance is longer, there is less stopping and on new track, the train can really hike along. I could not get proper gps signals for my speed device on my phone to work, but I estimate over 130 km/h. It was great to hear the roar of the diesel engine as it generated electricity to send us flying across the countryside in the very smooth and comfortable train. The noise might be a little annoying on a long trip. Can anyone tell me if all carriages have the motors under them or are some just trailers? (I came across something that indicated all carriages are powered)


Wydham Vale Station is brand new and it feels like it. The wind howled and whistled around the infrastructure as we waited for the bus to Werribee. West of the city is not called Pleurisy Plains without good reason. The area is so flat and there is little to break the wind.


Nowhere for lunch around here, so it is the 190 bus to Werribee. The bus was prompt and the trip took perhaps 15 minutes.


I had wondered what the new to me bus company CDC letters  stood for. I saw it on the bus, ComfortDelGro & Cabcharge. Cabcharge?!



Werribee Station underpass.


I did not get a photo of the famous person who R suggested to be Shane Crawford, a former sports person and celebrity. After lunch we caught the suburban train back to town. We found the train seats very hard after being on the VLocity train. Even the suburban service briefly reached 118 km/h.


My fake bathroom plant had dusty leaves, so I give it a shower.


R went to his volunteer place fundraising  trivia night and won these. They are very comfortable and warm, but somewhat hazardous to walk in.


Lastly I will leave you with some shots of clever lighting displays in Campbell Arcade, or if you like,  the Degraves Street subway.








32 comments:

  1. Andrew the best are your photo of moon absolutely fantastic abd different from mine in Europe. At my place in most public places WIFI is a common situation currently..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we have lots of free wi fi too now, but it takes time to connect. Not good when you are in a hurry.

      Delete
  2. Such a varied and interesting post. Love the lighting displays. Pleurisy Plains is such a descriptive name. I have lived in a few places which could wear that label..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the lighting was good and I did rush the post a bit. I should have explained it a bit more.

      Delete
  3. Your post finally prompted me to look up CDC as I have seen these buses around Sydney and not known what the initials meant.

    Now I know it is the private bus service for the Hills District of Sydney (some routes bring them into the Sydney CBD).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, the company has been in Sydney longer than here. I guess it is expanding. It is quite large already.

      Delete
  4. Such a wide Sunday Selection. Umm did the taxpayer subsidies that trip to Geelong Andrew? Please disclose.
    Love the slippers, bet there were many laughs.
    Would love to see the Bowie exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, not to Geelong, just to the very newest suburbs. Taxpayers always subsidise public transport, but in this case, no more than usual. Bowie was terrific.

      Delete
  5. Well that was a mixture of lots of stuff always interesting.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice selection in winter. Like the moon colour, lovely and orange..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it was quite magical to watch it rise.

      Delete
  7. Oooh! A blood moon! They're supposed to foretell bad luck or something i think. I could be wrong.
    Love the bear claw slippers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, once it rose in the sky, it lost its colour. I can see how it could be a bad omen.

      Delete
  8. My favourites are the moon shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, the photos nearly got lost in a backlog of photos.

      Delete
  9. We had a blood moon here a couple of weeks ago; my photo of it wasn't nearly as good as yours. Some folks are getting all up in arms about it, saying it foretells - da, da, duuuuuuum - the end of the world. I rather like REM's take on that.

    David Bowie exhibit, be still my heart! I'd have been one of the folk dancing; probably even on purpose, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, I am sure you would be dancing. How talented was he!

      Delete
  10. Do you all dry your clothes without using a dryer? I mean do most Australians not use a dryer? I heard that was the case but did not know for sure. What about the moisture put into the air, as they dry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it is a mix of indoors and outdoors. Clearly we can't dry outdoors. I dry bedding, socks and underwear in the dryer and fluff up the towels once almost dry. The moisture is not an issue, even if the door is shut. People buy humidifiers to do the job our washing does.

      Delete
  11. Shane Crawford was not just a former sports person and celebrity. He was HUGE (ly important).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhat cryptic Hels. I will take a closer look at Monsieur Crawford.

      Delete
  12. Free wifi may well be common, no I'd venture to say expected these days, but charging stations are not - a nice idea. Our new local trains have free wifi (although 4G is faster if you're in a 4G area which you are for much of the journey to Glasgow) and each seat has an AC power connection which is a real life saver.
    A wonderful selection of photos. I like the lighting too. Lots of checked shirts - I think that we're twins separated at birth.
    We dry everything is our huge 10KG vented dryer. Most people here hang washing out but I can't be arsed and I prefer the softness from a dryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, most of the shirts are mine. R tends to wear polos. I only wear shirts.

      A couple of planes had power points on our travels, and the Prevost coach had power at each seat and wi fi, when it was turned on.

      10kg is a big dryer. We experienced a combined washer dryer in Canada. It took a long time to dry clothes and they were very creased. What's the word? Condenser dryer?

      Delete
    2. Yes exactly so, condenser dryers. These are the most common here too. But they are useless, they take forever and as you say don't do a great job with clothes. Our time in the US taught us about the efficiency of vented dryers - quick and efficient. When we remodeled this house we had a laundry room designed to accommodate a 10KG washer and the same size dryer with a vented outlet. It dries a full load in less than 30 minutes. There endeth todays laundry lesson! As I'm less svelt than I used to be I wear shirts most of the time now and have a passion for checked ones!

      Delete
    3. Craig, I think shirts are a bit more flattering once you are have a 'guts', but R is physically bigger than me and seems to be able to get away with polos and tees.

      I am really interested in your comments, and I could not remember the word condenser, about dryers. Our present dryer is vented but it is small. What happens when it dies? The plan was to buy a washing machine with a condenser dryer. Now, I have my doubts. In years past, I would have sorted the venting of a new dryer myself, but I can't do that now. How do you find someone who will do what you used to easily do but now have to pay for? Our dryer perhaps takes a four kg load and if say three towels, might take an hour to dry or more. Rack drying for most things works quite well for us, so perhaps we could make do with a condenser dryer.

      Delete
    4. It's more difficult in an apartment for sure. In the UK at least, it was our plumber who also created the vented outlet for the dryer.

      Delete
    5. Craig, as I think I said, we do already have outside venting from our current dryer, but as in real life, it all comes back to size and fit in the future.

      Delete
  13. A mixed bag post today. The train trip sounds like something we would enjoy but not the cold whistling wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, for sure on a nice day, it would have been better. I'd rather a cold southerly from the Antarctic than those cold northerly winds from inland Australia.

      Delete
  14. On both the Sprinter and VLocity trains, all of the carriages have a diesel engine beneath them, which then drives the wheels via a hydraulic transmission.

    The older locomotive hauled trains only have the diesel engine up front, and an electric transmission to drive the wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus, you are a treasure. I hoped you would read this.

      Ok, I kind of understand a diesel electric, which the locos were that hauled carriages along. I don't think I have ever been on a Sprinter.

      What you say about VLocity trains now makes great sense. The power felt like what you might feel when driving a 1964 Holden with a Hydramatic transmission. The revs of the motor aren't directly connected to to movement of the car wheels.

      Apart from the noise, they VLocitys are pretty nice trains, hey.

      Delete