Friday, July 24, 2015

Day 8 Canada, 28/06, Banff

After our arrival in Banff we took a wander to the shops and bought a few bits and pieces and were back in time for the hotel dinner. We needed some down time in Banff, so we had only booked one short activity for the the next day.


We were going canoeing. It was a short walk Bow River. None of us had canoe experience but the guide who sat at the back encouraged us and I think steered us quite a bit too.




We hoped to see perhaps a bear or a beaver, but we did not. The scenery was nice but it was very warm out on the river with no shade. People all began paddling enthusiastically but soon slowed down as arms began to ache, my own included. At times some people would stop paddling for a break but no one gave up and burdened themselves at to our guide's surprise, none of us whinged. Apparently there is nearly always someone who will, one who did not quite grasp what is involved in canoeing. Except for rescue boats and park rangers boats, power boats are not allowed on park waterways.


We paddled upstream, so it was an easy return. I suppose the trip took an hour or more. A beaver had built a dam where this creek joined the river. To my own surprise, I really quite enjoyed canoeing. Back home, Bone Doctor has a canoe. I should take it out sometime.


After our paddle, we quenched our thirst with our T & B in an Irish pub, found somewhere for a light late lunch and did bugger all for the rest of the afternoon, which is exactly what we wanted to do.



I fancied a steak for dinner and it was very pleasant sitting out on the deck. Look Gattina, they have copied your outdoors screen viewing box.We later found out T & B were eating at the same time as we were, in the same place, but indoors.


While I found plumbing throughout Cananda and the US unnecessarily complicated, I really did like the toilets. Non of the nonsense that goes on in Australia where toilets will  often need multiple flushes. While they nearly all use a similar action, some are also very water efficient. This is not a great example of water efficiency but some sets used very little. The paper is for demonstration purposes only.




31 comments:

  1. Andrew, lovely tour but I think canoeing in the sun for one hour or more definitely nice experience.. The toilets work in diffeent way in Poland, too. But I have read about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it was quite pleasant on the river.

      Delete
  2. We avoided the canoeing in Banff and went for a less strenuous tour of the hot springs and nearby falls instead. It was Canada Day and the main street closed late in the afternoon for a parade and later still fireworks at 11.30pm but I was well asleep by then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I think the springs and falls were an option, but we just wanted some peace for the afternoon. I wonder if there were fireworks where we were on the 1st. Like you, sound asleep.

      Delete
  3. Of all the sights I thought you might share with us, a flushing toilet never entered my head! Good on you for going canoeing. A completely different perspective from the river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I have form with toilets, having taken a similar video of a Japanese toilet and putting it here. Yes, we did do some activity.

      Delete
  4. It is years since I have been canoeing and yes, it is hard work. Worth it though.
    Himself has been talking about buying a kayak for quite a while now. Perhaps...
    Love the flush video. And it does look efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much. A kayak sounds rather strenuous for himself.

      Delete
  5. I used to go canoeing rather regularly, lots of lakes, rivers, and creeks nearby... my favourite route was from a nearby lake, via a small river, and up to the foot of the falls where the GS and I were married. I'll have to share photos of the area one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to see your photos Jac.

      Delete
  6. Wow I never thought a flushing toilet would be a big deal to an Australian. I know I love my raft. I've used a canoe before but only when very young. Looks like fun. My raft is shaped a little like a canoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love my toilet, I forgot to mention, very efficient, also with water use, but sometimes, due to the cost of water here, if I have mopped, I flush it with the mop water.

      Delete
    2. Strayer, it curious to me why there is not a standard flush toilet for use world wide. Essentially though, there seems to be only two types with variations.

      It is very relaxing when on the water paddling a silent craft. Your raft must be fun.

      Delete
  7. I never understood the "flush the nerd's head in a toilet"' bit from American TV shows - with out toilet it just isn't possible. That changed when I first saw an American-style toilet - those things have a bowl are the size of a bloody swimming pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus, while they are big bowls, you needed to go to school in Australia in seventies to experience head flushing in toilets. It is quite possible in Aussie toilets.

      Delete
  8. A most beautiful part of Canada. We did a raft float down the river It was fun and easier than canoeing but that would have been super fun too. I don't like the American toilets. Too much splashy water and they often get blocked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, from a higher point I guess, and you did not go over the falls. Funny, but our American toilet experiences were fine.

      Delete
  9. I do enjoy a bit of canoeing myself, though it has been yeeeears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, in cooler weather, how good would canoeing be.

      Delete
  10. Canada is a long way to go just to flush a toilet. Good thing you had canoeing and all that other stuff to do as well (*~*)
    That horse drawn carriage looks like a wedding carriage, was there a wedding going on?
    The river views are lovely; I've never been canoeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I don't think there was a wedding, although we did see one somewhere. Canoeing is fine and if on your own, at your own pace.

      Delete
  11. I was trying to remember when I was last in a canoe... when I was 15 I think. So not too long ago...
    I'd say that you deserved a restful day as it had been pretty much full on since you landed.
    If we're going to discuss toilets, then trips to Japan with their high tech toilets are what I remember. The first time I discovered my room had the wash wand mechanism with remote control, I almost didn't leave the room for a week. I wish they were more popular as they are so hygienic. The cost is an issue though - north of £1300 for one here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Craig, not so long ago. Funny about Jap toilets. I recall being very reluctant to touch anything because other people had touched them. The price would be similar here.

      Delete
  12. Your timing is perfect.

    "Jasper National Park and Banff National Park, which fill an enormous slice of rural Alberta, are a single entity for visitors’ purposes." And there is something mesmerising about them both.

    See The Australian, July 18-19th 2015
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/travel/visit-canadas-wildlife-a-do-it-yourself-motorhome-safari/story-e6frg8rf-1227444577014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, bugger. The Australian is subscriber only but I could read a little bit.

      Delete
  13. Calm waters then in the canoe. Never been in one..
    The loo has got people going :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, trust me to bring up the unmentionable.

      Delete
  14. What an adventure ! Nothing for me though ! Thanks for referring to me, lol ! Talk about toilets, in Germany on the motorway we stopped for a coffee and of course went to the toilet. I got a shock, because when I stood up the flush went off and I hadn't done anything ! It goes off automatically !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, one of the airports we travelled through had toilets like that.

      Delete
  15. Funny. We were very impressed with the Australian toilets, and preferred those.

    Maybe they should change the saying "The grass grows greener on the other side" to the "Toilets flush better on the other side".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, all I can say is that it is odd that you prefer ours. Yes, toilets flush better on the other side.

      Delete