Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day 7 Canada, 27/06, To Banff

I was up at 5.30 to see the pink hue over Lake Louise. It was nice and so peaceful, but if it is an effort to get up at 5.30, you would not bother.


Brightly sunlit a couple of hours later.



As you can see, the exterior of the Fairmont Chateau is not so impressive, having being altered so much over many years.


A few photos of the grand interior of the Fairmont Chateau. How nice it would have been if it was cool.











We have stopped off at Lake Moraine. Just another beautiful lake? Maybe the best. I climbed on my own to a high vantage point.


A natural gathering of timber, mostly from trees fallen into the river as erosion undercuts river banks.


A squirrel. So exciting.


Once we had reached Banff, we were straight to the gondola and up to Sulphur Mountain. In front of us were an Indian family of six and in front of them an older western couple. We were called forward to join the older couple. Well, the older couple were at it hammer and tongs. This is going to be a nice eight minute ride, not. 'I am never going on holidays with you again', she screeched. Suddenly it was all over and they started chatting to us and being very friendly. They were from the south of the United States, I forget which state and I am not sure how widely it has been reported here, but the one where the confederate flag has finally been lowered after a massacre in a church. Amazingly we came back with them when we descended from the mountain. Got it now. They were from South Carolina. He asked if we knew much about the state. Not much, we replied, except it is a southern state. I don't know how we came to talk about it, but he explained that most people in the state think that the confederate flag should have been lowered more than a century ago. He asked if we knew what red-necks meant. Yes. It is only people like them who support that confederate nonsense. It was a most enlightening conversation, and if what he said is true, it is another reason to be wary of stereo-types.


We did not see any of Marie's mountain sheep under the gondola but we did come across the delightful little chap up top. I guess it is a chipmunk.


Does she look like an Alvin? 

Unrelated, I asked R if he could smell gas? I meant like cooking and heating LPG. Yes, he said. Maybe there is a leak. Once back down in Banff, I had duh moment, when I realised we were atop Sulphur Mountain, which smelt of........sulphur.



I have a recollection of a blog discussion about a critter that looked like this. Is it an insect or spider?


There a restaurant atop the viewing area. Off to the distance, no Marie, further than close by and with lots of steps, was an even higher point for viewing, an old meteorological observation site. It was too hot to make the effort.


Jane and Lance are thataway.


We are kind of thataway.


The Fairmont Banff Springs. Many of these hotels were built by railway companies to attract tourists. The Fairmont company, with hotels overseas too, seems to have bought up all these grand old Canadian hotels.


Perhaps on the Bow River, certainly in Banff. I just can't recall.




Nice dickie seat.


Fairmont Banff Springs from a distance. Apparently new staff and guests get lost in the maze of rooms and corridors. The saying goes, if you haven't been lost in the hotel, you haven't been there.


The four stalagmite like formations left of centre in the photo are called Hoodoos. We kind of realised we were killing time by driving around, the problem being that check in to hotels in Canada is generally 4pm and not 2pm as it is here.


Another Canadian town means more beautiful gardens. We had really been on the move for a couple of days with minimal down time, but we now have a free day in Banff tomorrow, with only a morning tour booked. We are staying at Banff Park Lodge for the two nights, with air con!

32 comments:

  1. At the Fairmont Lake Louise I asked the Concierge was there a knack to operating the thermostat as I couldn't get it to budge from 26Âșc to be told my wing of the hotel does not have air-conditioning, only heating. Luckily the windows could be opened marginally but it was my poorest night of sleep on the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Victor, poor sleep, hence me getting up so early. So from what you were told indicates that another wing does have air conditioning. I think where we dined there did have air con.

      Delete
    2. Note to self: check for aircon when booking hotel rooms.

      Delete
    3. River, most definitely, but our hotels were part of the tour. It is a question to be asked when booking the tour and look carefully at the climate of the country you are going to. While we checked major city temps before we left, they are near the sea. Much warmer inland.

      Delete
  2. There was me thinking how wonderful it must be to spend a night at the Fairmont! Glad you saw the chipmunks, pity the sheep were in hiding. Did you try out the hot springs in Banff? Really enjoying all your photos. PS: Re one of the comments on previous post, perhaps Gosia was thinking of the amphibious vehicles that are used for tours around London and on the Thames but they are a fraction of the size of those glacier vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, the hotel itself is stunning inside. What a wonderful place it would be to stay in Autumn or Spring. Ah yes, those bus/boat things. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. What a great place to stay, Canada sounds pretty good all up.
    I think I missed a few posts I will go back and read them.
    Love the old car with a dicky seat, remember riding it one when very young before seat belts.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I do hope you behaved yourself in the dicky seat and did not go grasping.........no, better not.

      Delete
  4. Chipmunks! We have them everywhere here, including in one's drawers. Dresser drawers that is. They are the brats of the animal world, lol. What you call a dickey seat we always called a rumble seat, interesting.

    I'm truly loving these photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, they are so cute!!! So you don't keep your drawers in a draw then? Yes, I am also familiar with rumble seat. It seems dicky can be spelt anyway you like.

      Delete
    2. Nope, there were jumpers in that particular drawer, but thank you for asking, lol.
      It can't be spelled anyway you like; if, for example, it were spelled 'wart' then there'd be no guessing what you - or I - meant.

      Delete
  5. I suppose The Fairmont Chateau at Lake Louise was a fairly simple place when it first opened late in the 19th century. But it glammed up in the inter-war era and started attracting more famous residents. Thus I think your Deco poster is perfect - how lovely and confident the woman looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, yes, I expect the hotel was at its peak post war and pre depression. Isn't it just the most gorgeous poster. I did not realise until once home and I looked at my photos.

      Delete
  6. Chipmunks! I grew up with them, but they don't exist in France. Enjoying the recap! Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Walt, you have things called moles, which sound quite uninteresting and troublesome.

      Delete
  7. That hotel interior is very lovely. As for the Banff hotel, I wonder if any of the lost, wandering guests are actually ghosts and still looking for their rooms?
    The lakes photos are beautiful, such blue water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, could well be that they are ghosts, still looking for their rooms......or the bar.

      Delete
    2. I like River's ghost idea.

      Delete
  8. I have had a long and gruelling day. This post and its beauty and charm are balm for my aching eyes and head. Thank you. Canada looks like a place I could revel in. And, as you know, I would be happy getting up to enjoy that early morning serenity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, for an early bird, Canada is paradise with its early sunrises and quietness at such hours.

      Delete
  9. Andrew chateau is very impressive. THE mountains are amazing and i admire you for getting so early,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, while not quite that early, many mornings we had to be ready to leave and eaten breakfast by 8, or earlier.

      Delete
  10. Breathtaking is a word used rather too often. But I think that it does apply to the photo of Lake Moraine. It almost doesn't seem real, so beautiful is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, the colouring of the lakes was not something I knew about in advance. Breathtaking so many were.

      Delete
  11. I do like this little creatures..
    The views are nice. That hotel looks awesome, I can imagine being lost in that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, we occasionally made a wrong turn within a few places we stayed.

      Delete
  12. I've lived in the south for more than half of my life and still have stereotypes of the south. We're often surprised when we go to a Southern State we haven't been to before and it's not full of rednecks.

    I love the chipmunk! You don't have those in Australia, do you? We never see them here. Maybe they're only up north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, no we don't have chipmunks. They look quite cheeky and forward. The red neck thing in the south is such a strong stereotype and it must be in someone's interest to keep it going.

      Delete
  13. Day 7?? I am so far behind ~ heaps of photos to look through on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, with this week off, I have spent quite a bit of time at the keyboard.

      Delete
  14. I have so enjoyed reading and seeing about your trip to Canada. I'm a little behind, so am having a blog feast of your photos. Loving it!! And will look forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CM. Pleased you are enjoying the photos.

      Delete