Thursday, July 30, 2015

Day 13 Canada, 03/07, Victoria

Another hotel, another buffet breakfast. We then wandered down to the waterfront.


Victoria's gardens public gardens did not let down Canada. The building is a Fairmont Hotel.


British Columbia's very grand provincial parliament building, apparently stunningly lit at night.


Sea planes taxiing.


Little taxi boats buzzing around.


We walked quite a distance to Chinatown and had some lunch.


No rush to do anything. We meandered back towards the hotel.



Back at the hotel.


And mid afternoon back onto the Prevost to.......

 

about half an hour's drive from Victoria.



Most of the gardens are a riot of colour.



It was past its spring prime but was still quite wonderful.





Note the three windows in the main building.



But there are quieter and less bright areas too.





This garden was private for who, I do not know but we did get a history talk of how the gardens came about.


On the other side the earlier mentioned three windows we had a wonderful final group dinner.


Maybe wine was involved and responsible for the angle.


It was late night opening and at dusk there would be fireworks, way to late for us to be out. The Butchart Gardens are not to be missed if visiting Vancouver Island. There were a few old cars in the carpark.





This is known as a 'woody'. Woody might also be an euphemism for something else.



This post is not too long, so let me mention some movies and tv shows we saw during our long long flights. The in flight entertainment system with Cathay Pacific is pretty good with such a wide selection of things to watch and listen to. I watched several episodes of The Royle Family. I had forgotten how good it was. Also a few episodes of Modern Family. The excellent original English series of House of Cards and three movies, but I can only remember two. Woman in Gold was about a US Jewish woman reclaiming her family art in Vienna, taken during the WWII. Helen Mirren was good as the lead character, but to me the movie, while very watchable, seemed like it was cheaply made. A very easy watch was a movie set in England called Queen and Country. I've remembered one more, about a successful female linguist who developed early onset dementia, Still Alice.

22 comments:

  1. so the parks and gardens are definiteluy beautiful. Canada seems so clean country.the dolphin made from flowers is wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the dolphin is great. I had forgotten about it until I was looking at the photos.

      Delete
  2. I would be in 7th heaven at Butchart gardens, and for so many reasons.

    Each of the movies you've named are ones I've wanted to see... Amazon, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, each movie was very watchable without being remarkable. They are worth seeing.

      Delete
  3. Butchart Gardens is a highlight. Our group had breakfast in that house before the hordes arrived. We were told the great granddaughter of the founders runs the business nowadays but whether that private garden is hers I wouldn't know.

    The store at the Gardens has some of the best souvenir type material I have seen at any tourist attraction.

    I have photos of the BC Parliament lit at night. I should post some on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast would have been very nice there, Victor. We did not spend time in the gift shop, unusually. Indeed do post some photos of the parliamentary building.

      Delete
  4. I've heard of the Butchart Gardens. Nice you saw them. Looks so beautiful up there. I've heard of the movie Still Alice, was it any good? We see a few "woodies" down here, not often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, Still Alice was fairly formulaic but ok. We even see the odd woodie here in Australia. I remember them as a kid.

      Delete
  5. My brother and his wife raved about the Butchart Gardens. Jealous then, jealous now.
    I was impressed with Still Alice the book. Haven't seen the movie, but have heard lots of good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, with better energy levels and cooler weather, you could spend a day in the gardens. There is much to see.

      Delete
  6. The gardens are very beautiful, I could wander there for hours with my camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there was an area we did look at. You would need a least a couple of rolls of film for the camera.

      Delete
    2. Rolls of film?? I have a 16GB memory card and a 32GB memory card. I think I'm covered there.

      Delete
    3. River, while you are far from being alone, you should take some pride in keeping up with technology at your age. Your kids must think you are pretty good to be so au fait with tech matters.

      Delete
  7. Well you knew I was going to love this didn't you? They really are stunning and I enjoyed revisiting them with you through your excellent photos. Loving the oversized black hat by the Japanese arch. Very Grace Kelly. The main building is lovely and reminds me of an English cricket pavilion. On the entertainment front, I loved the original House of Cards (you might think that, I couldn't possibly comment) and the Royle Family was a favourite of ours. Sadly, it's not unlike some of my distant relatives...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I think they are the best I have ever seen, certainly for roses and colour. Yes, I understand about the cricket pavilion. R's family are quite good at just sitting and drinking tea too.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful garden and colours...I'd have a great time there taking the blooms..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With secateurs Margaret?

      Delete
  9. Enjoying your trip vicariously. I've never been to Victoria, so I am glad you mentioned eating at the Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, such a well travelled person as yourself hasn't been to Victoria? You should do so soon. VC Island looked to be rather nice.

      Delete
  10. The gardens look fabulous. What a great trip, I'm just sorry I didn't have the time to visit Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it is never a bad thing to leave yourself wanting when you travel and have a reason to return.

      Delete