Monday, June 08, 2015

Wrong way officer

As you can see in this photo. I didn't get to take the photo as there was no need. There are two lanes for traffic heading east into the beginning of Toorak Road. It is rare for it to be a deliberate act but quite often a motorist will make a mistake and reverse from a parking space and drive west or turn from the side street and drive down the east bound lane in a westerly direction. Gosh, I sound like a cop describing the situation. It is amusing to watch how long it takes them to realise and their subsequent remedial actions.I have never seen how the situation arises though. Maybe they make a u turn from outside McDonalds.

Sometimes they will sit there for a set of traffic lights, which is odd given they don't have any facing traffic lights. Mostly they will will  U turn and go back once they realise that cars are coming towards them in the lane they are sitting in, or at times turn left and get out of the way.

This evening, which ever evening that was,  there was a particularly truculent motorist who refused to see the evidence of what confronted him or her. I think it was the third change of traffic lights that the car reversed back to the parking area opposite the synagogue and then made a u turn. Lo and behold, on went flashing blue and red lights as it did so. What a laugh. It was an unmarked cop car.

It would have just amused me as something I had seen often enough and seeing one person pulled over by police for the offence, but the temerity of them for turning on their flashing lights as if it was an emergency to cover up their stupidity.

The evening was Saturday, 19.30 06/06/15 I don't want the police driver to get into trouble, but how great if he/she could be pinned down and given heaps by their workmates.

Well, could the timing be any better? I just stood up to stretch from typing this and there is a car doing exactly as I was describing the unmarked police car doing. This may seem a little confusing to foreign types who drive on the wrong side of the road.

These are the two Toorak Road west bound lanes with the east bound lanes on the other side of the small triangular park. The driver could not see any traffic lights to indicate whether he or she should go. He sat there for perhaps two changes of lights and it was cold outside and I was wishing he would hurry up and do something. As you can see, he is not even properly in the lane, no matter that he is going the wrong way.


Reversing took him into the other lane, still facing the wrong way. No, he decided, that is not solving anything.


Back to where he was.


Finally the penny dropped and he turned left, simultaneously receiving a horn blast from the blue car, probably accompanied by some gesticulations.

 

22 comments:

  1. Ooops.
    And I hope the police person shows a little sympathy to other people who make his error. But doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I doubt that as I have seen someone pulled over for making that mistake.

      Delete
  2. That looks like a nightmare intersection. That car in the bottom left of your first photo is up to something dodgy too by the looks. Funny story about the cop car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, ideally it would be a straight forward crossing intersection, but two roads don't line up. It is pretty messy. I didn't notice the other car in the first photo. I've seen a car almost take out a cyclist by doing that.

      Delete
  3. It does look a very confusing intersection;probably people new to the are would be the ones making the mistakes; others who have used that section of road for months or years would know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is confusing and used to be quite dangerous before some good work was done.

      Delete
  4. I once turned into what I believed was a one way street and stopped at traffic lights in the right hand lane for a right hand turn.

    It took me a moment to realise that on the other side of the lights were cars facing me in my lane and few moments more before it dawned on me the street was two way and I was on the wrong side.

    I then had to reverse, red faced, past a long line of cars on the inside lane to fall into line with them.

    I was hideously embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, at least you had time to correct your position before the lights changed.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes police cars like to show off for some reason....by the look of the parking lines they are on an angel, it would indicate to me that when revering, reverse to the right then go forward away from the lights...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Margaret, that is what they should do. A wrong way, go back sign might be helpful.

      Delete
  6. It looks confusing to me, but I refuse to drive in city centres anyway because I am easily challenged while on four wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, you certainly don't see me drive in the city and we are a couple of kilometres from the city.

      Delete
  7. It would be nice if the cop could now understand the dilemma of drivers in such a position. It's a terrible realization to see that cars are coming at you and there's no easy way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, somehow I don't think there would be much sympathy although I doubt they would book drivers who turned around and went back.

      Delete
  8. You're right - it is a terrible intersection. Although I never knew people got caught there in this way. But if it happens that often, it's definitely the design of the road at fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, it is a design fault but no action seems to be taken about it. As far as I know there has not been an accident arising from this situation, but there have been plenty.

      Delete
  9. You must have a nice place to watch the traffic ! Maybe the guy who drove the car came from Europe and drove on the wrong side which for us is the right side, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, is a great traffic watching place and boy is there a lot of traffic to watch.

      Delete
  10. Andrew, definitely stressful situation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, maybe as Gattina suggested, it is a European driver.

      Delete
  11. Been there done that.. on a very busy roundabout, worst driving moment ever, beaucoup sweary words :) Blimey that McDonald's is a pain, talk about stick out like a sore thumb.. do you hate it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awful Grace. I don't hate the McDonalds but I would prefer it wasn't there. It is open 24 hours and attracts undesirables and remember the murder that happened there a year or so ago. Also people sit in their cars, eat their food and throw the rubbish into the gutter. Also, the rubbish bins get overfilled and ravens pull the rubbish out looking for food. Yes, better it wasn't there.

      Delete