Saturday, June 13, 2015

Melbourne from way above

No, I haven't been on the roof of the Highrise with a camera. This image was taken by astronaut Scott Kelly in the International Space Station and tweeted by him. I hope it is large enough for you to make out after clicking on it. If you are unfamiliar with Melbourne, you might be interested in some detail. Bottom right is Port Phillip Bay, apparently so I have just leant, now just Port Phillip. The dominant pier is Station Pier where cruise ships and the Spirit of Tasmania ferry berth. Station Pier is in Port Melbourne and along the coast are the suburbs of Albert Park, Middle Park, St Kilda and part of Elwood. The large area of sandy beach is next to the visible and famous St Kilda Pier with its marina and breakwaters which are home to Fairy Penguins.

Out of shot is the mouth of the Yarra River, dredged deep enough for the largest ships to enter the river to just past where the winding Maribyrnong River enters the Yarra. This is where ships are unloaded and sometimes even get loaded. The wider water area upstream is Docklands with its many highrise office and apartment buildings.

Just to the top of the city the Exhibition Buildings are visible in parkland. The green to the right, Treasury and Fitzroy Gardens and the oval of the Melbourne Cricket Ground with 'not round ground' below that, used for rugby and soccer I think. Less clear and kind of between them is where the Australian Tennis Open is played. Below that and across the Yarra is the Royal Botanic Gardens and government house, the home of our State Governor, mostly a ceremonial role but he/she does sign important documents. If the Governor is 'at home', his flag flies. If it is not flying, he is away.


Along the left  of the river are the suburbs of Spotswood and Yarraville and near the bend in the river can be seen Flemington Racecourse, home of the horse racing Melbourne Cup and the Royal Melbourne Show. Royal Park containing Melbourne Zoo is up near the top to the left with Moonee Valley Racecourse to the very left at the top. Gee we have a lot of 'Royal' things but we have heaps more Victoria things, after Queen Victoria.

The body of water in the centre to the right is Albert Park Lake within its parkland and home to the Australian Grand Prix car race. On the top side of the of Albert Park Lake the high rises of Queens and St Kilda Road lead out from the city and near the top hump of the lake about 300 metres away is our building.

32 comments:

  1. Andrew, interesting photo but I prefer your photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal photos tomorrow Gosia.

      Delete
  2. It's a great photo. I hope they issue one of Sydney too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be interesting Victor.

      Delete
  3. I am seriously impressed. I cannot translate aerial shots into real locations. I can read maps happily, but not these ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, understand. A location tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. All cities look the same to me from so high.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I am not terribly good at it, but some people can see such detail in photos like that.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant Andrew ~ we will all know where to lob when we are next in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, sorry, we have visitors that week, or that weekend.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that really puts Melbourne into perspective for me, as a reader of your blog. I like to be oriented like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that it works for you Strayer.

      Delete
  7. At one time I collected maps and globes, now they make no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why so Jac? I love maps.

      Delete
    2. Had a stroke this September past; it also played hell with my numbers sense. *shrugs*

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see. There are a few blogs I wish I had been reading for much longer.

      Delete
  8. The water is so gorgeous from up there.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Snoskred, but very cold.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Guess you may have seen it elsewhere Fen.

      Delete
  10. I found this interesting as I don't know your fair city well enough to know the areas for myself. Although I did recognize Albert Park from it's F1 fame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I did think you would have a vague idea of the geography. Pleased it was of interest.

      Delete
  11. A bit difficult to know what is what, not knowing Melbourne at all well, enlarging the photo to see it better, I lose your text, so still don't know what I'm looking at, but it's a great shot from way up in space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, I understand but if you were curious about an area of Melbourne you could follow my information, I hope.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you pointed out the places, it reminded me of where I have been, though some places not for a long time. The pier is known well to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Margaret, I am sure the pier is very well known to you, and the roads leading to and from there.

      Delete
  13. Jeez Andrew, you could have put an X on the spot for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I could have but I didn't did I.

      Delete
  14. Great view that adds a fresh perspective to one of the most liveable cities in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, at times it feels it is. Other times it feels horribly overcrowded with cars and people and busyness.

      Delete
  15. A very interesting city! You can never get bored with it or tired of it, can you?

    btw: I really enjoyed the previous post and the collection of snippets. Each one could have been a post on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friko, they were intended to be individual posts, expanded polished and made digestible but I kind of lost interest in finishing them.

      Delete