Friday, June 12, 2015

japan

Japan now has railway apps which  has live data including the crowding of each carriage and inside train temperature.

I hope Japan is not still on its saving energy drive as it was when we were there in summer. Thermostats on public transport and in many buildings had been raised and many places were uncomfortably warm. I remember being really quite hot on a train. Every so often the air con would come on and a wave of lovely cool air would wash over us but after it minute, the system would go off. Once home, I emailed a letter to a Tokyo English language newspaper with my opinion of their energy saving practices but then forgot to check if the letter from the whingeing gaijin was ever published.

4 comments:

  1. It may have been a cost saving measure, but in my opinion unsatisfactory. Far better to raise the thermostat just a little so less energy is used, but keep the air con running so passengers are comfortable. I hope they took notice of your letter, but in reality they probably thought "hah! silly foreigner who might never come back, he doesn't matter".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think you are quite correct, silly foreigner.

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing not Andrew :) Such crowded trains alone would freak me out but if it was warm too.. Couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, although we did catch some peak hour trains, they weren't overcrowded and we didn't see any that were. No more than some people standing.

      Delete