Friday, June 12, 2015

French India

To paraphrase two separate workmates, one from India and one from Sri Lanka, both countries went to hell in a handbasket after the British left. I add that they both have Anglo blood and so they, their parents really, weren't particularly in favour when they left after losing their right to an automatic higher social status and select civil service jobs.

I was astonished to learn from chef Rick Stein that there was French India. I knew of Portuguese India, Goa etc. I think Hels has educated me on Jews in India. Where were the French in India?

Baguettes.

10 comments:

  1. I believe there was also a French East India Company. Not certain where though. Pondicherry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was indeed EC and I did get around to finding out where the French were in India but I forget now. I think there were a large number on the southern east coast.

      Delete
  2. There are so many people in India there would have to bee some french somewhere.
    Merle......................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, quite true. Many Portuguese too.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to visit India but it's a tad crowded (*~*)
    My grandson's girlfriend is over there with some kind of organisation helping the poor, I think with hygiene education or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. River, at times R expresses and interest in visiting India. As I say to my Indian workmates, there are too many Indians there. Sri Lanka is a bit like India and easier for foreigners, I think. I wouldn't mind going there. Good on your grandson's girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Late on this subject here are the former french territories in India :
    Pondichéry ( cession in 1956)
    Chandernagor ( 1951)
    Karikal ( 1956)
    Mahé ( 1956)
    Yanaon ( 1956)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrific Jean. Thank you. It was an unfinished post and I would have found out the detail eventually, but how kind to put in place the locations.

      Delete
  6. The French were almost as invasive as the English in days of yore oui. non :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were Grace, but I did not know about India.

      Delete