Thursday, June 04, 2015

Forgotten post

Although I loaded these photos, I have just discovered it is an unfinished post from a while ago. The weather was a good bit warmer than it is at the moment with a string of 13 degree maximums for this first week of our winter.

Could colours ever be better selected and just look at the flow of lines? I would so like to changer her gears.


I can't remember where this was taken, but somewhere in Collins Street I guess. Nice building, hey.


Russell Street I think. I am fairly sure the mural will not now be visible because of construction.


Little Bourke Street is the location of our Chinatown. It runs for a couple of blocks westwards and is often crowded, chaotic and has a terrific atmosphere. This is near to the entrance of the Chinese Museum, Chinese having been in Australia since the early 19th century. Never show surprise when a Chinese looking person speaks to you in perfect Australian.


Victorian architecture with a Chinese re-invention?


Goodness knows where. Maybe Russell Street.


The entrance to Little Bourke Street and China Town from Swanston Street.


Suspended sculpture at the Emporium shopping centre.


Queen Victoria Gardens. The works on the pond seems to have ended.


Used to be lovely annual flower plantings. Now, boring green stuff.


The Pavillion at The Serpentine in London has a good reputation. Trying to emulate it here in Melbourne did not seem so successful to me.



Some public art?



Queen Victoria maybe a little chipped, but she happily glowers towards the centre of town



The Eureka building and the Arts Centre spire. I think the box at the top of Eureka is protruding, with payees for the privilege looking down on Melbourne through a clear glass floor.


Still in Queen Victoria Gardens, some peaceful scenes.



This is an important memorial to women, I think. But I can't remember now.


A lift in the David Jones department store perhaps?



Appears to be a bearded hipster on the billboard promoting Vodafone. The yellow vanes atop Council House 2 can generate electricity, but not cost effectively and so have been switched off. Look Jackie in Toronto, one of the pole sculptures you captured when you were here is in the photo.

23 comments:

  1. What a lovely wander about; I'd think Chinatown would be tremendously interesting to explore..... but I truly fell in love with that Rolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, I looked more closely and so it is a Rolls, a Silver Wraith perhaps. It would suit you.

      Delete
    2. It would suit me for a short ride, perhaps, but I'm far too much a peasant to be truly comfortable in something so grand. =)

      Delete
  2. Great photos of downtown Melbourne. Some buildings I recognise, some I do not. I do love the architecture of old, so much more character than a lot of the modern buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed CM. I have a few readers who are keen on modern architecture, but not too many.

      Delete
  3. Nice tour....Little Bourke Street...stopped in an accommodation place in the early 60,s, probably all gone now seeing it's little China Town these days..
    ine of our friends had a vehilce same make as in the photo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I think you may be correct with that assumption about where you stayed. What a fortunate friend you have.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you found this forgotten post.
    Love that car. Such elegant lines. Is Jac right about its rollerdom? I am v ignorant about such things.
    China town every where is vibrant, noisy, and alive. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, apparently she is quite correct. Pity I don't look at my own photos properly. See my comment to Jac above.

      Delete
  5. Look! A pteradactyl! (the hanging sculpture)
    I really like that building in Collins Street; the old car above it has very sleek lines. Your Chinatown is similar to ours, and probably similar to Chinatowns all over Australia.
    Queen Victoria gardens is lovely. The greenery in lace of annual flowers is probably better for the environment, being perennial and water-wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, is yours near the market? I think I remember it. A street beginning with G I think.

      Yes, that is what they tell us about perennials, but we need a little colour in our life. It is also done to cut labour intensive planting and maintaining.

      Delete
    2. Yes, at the western end of Central Market which runs between Grote Street and Gouger Street.

      Delete
  6. *head smack* lace? should be place (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your summer tour. I like the look of the Queen Victoria gardens but like you I do like to see annual plantings in public places, even though they are labour intensive and thus expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I have a proper photo taken as we entered Melbourne zoo, with a lovely display of annuals in a circular bed. Last visit, the flowers had gone, just some 'strappy things', as R describes them.

      Delete
    2. Prhaps you could email your local councillor and remind him that perennials come in more colours than green.

      Delete
    3. River, I may well do that but it is a different municipality to where I live.

      Delete
  8. When I first got my digital camera and it became possible to take hundreds of pix instead of one or two, I was still arrogant enough to believe I would remember where they were taken and the significance of the main subject! I've recently been sorting through them, and am astounded at the number of pix that I don't recognise!! My latest trick is to take a photo of an identifier - like a sign or a street name - just in case!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, as a photo taker of buildings, I long ago learnt to take the next photo of the street number. I have done the street sign snap too. You are on a good path.

      Delete
  9. Guess who won't be standing on the top of the Eureka building looking down :) I wonder exactly how many gardens around the world a weather beaten Queen Victoria looks out over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, and it costs around $25 to do so.

      QV must have been much loved, or perhaps feared and respected.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely crop of pictures. The second one is Harley House on the corner of Collins and Exhibition Street - just up from my old workplace. I have a photo of the mural in your other picture too; sadly it no longer exists as it was painted over soon after completion. Which is a shame as I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pity about the mural Jackie. Harley House is a very handsome building.

      Delete