Thursday, May 14, 2015

Up to Upfield

A few of you cleverly worked out we were in the suburb of Broadmeadows when I took the photo of the Turkish food signs but to narrow it down, we were in Upfield, just a locality really, with a railway station terminus. Up to Upfield is wrong in train parlance as trips from the city to the suburbs by train are usually down trips. I had thought about taking the half hour train trip for a while and the time seemed right for R and myself to do it. It was a nice little trip there and back, with some time at the Upfield terminus for a bite to eat and coffee.

Upon completion of the trip, I realised I have travelled over most of Melbourne's train lines and I should make it a tick off thing. I have yet to travel to Frankston and then by a connecting train to Stony Point. The day before I planned to travel to Stony Point, the line was shut down for safety reasons and won't reopen for some time, I haven't yet been to Epping South Morang, to Broadmeadows Craigieburn (train termini change but I don't). I haven't done the Cranbourne leg of the Dandenong Pakenham line, or travelled the Lilydale leg of the Belgrave line.

We departed Flinders Street Station on time. Rubbish bins disappear and then reappear as terrorists incidents occur. It seems they have finally decided that these bins won't hide a bomb......unless it is wrapped in newspaper. Why the different coloured lids? They are not marked rubbish and recycling.


A docklands building. Quite striking really, like being hit on the head with some abstract art.


Oh, this building. I did not realise until we were nearly past. See on the far end where there is what looks like a colour change to yellow. It is the Lacrosse building where a fire started on a 10th floor balcony because someone put out a cigarette in a plastic container sitting on a timber table. Flames developed and shot up the side of the building from one balcony to another, fed by a non approved cheap Chinese building material called Alcubust. Fire procedures worked quite well with no one injured but the building had to be evacuated and no one could return to live there for some time, that is some 400 people. I may write a bit more about this the future as fires in highrise buildings are naturally of concern to me.


There's our Observation Wheel, which is good, except for what can be observed from the wheel. Boring!


We had passed Spencer Street Southern Cross Station and are arriving at North Melbourne where there is a quite unhappy aesthetic marriage between the new and the old.



The next station to stop at is Flemington Bridge which is kind of under a freeway and highly elevated from the street too. Then through Royal Park with a stop at the zoo and then after exiting the park the line runs parallel to Sydney Road for a number of kilometres with the Sydney Road trams very close by as far as Batman. Years ago there was talk of removing the Sydney Road tram and converting the railway line to a light rail. Thankfully it did not happen.

After Merlynston  Station the train enters Fawkner Cemetery with the dead to the left and right of us.Once past Fawkner, the train motors really whirred into action, getting us up to just over 80km/h according to my phone app and that is in an oldish train. We were sitting in a motor carriage for the return journey, hearing the loud crack from the power system when the driver cut the power.



There were a lot of food places to eat at in Barry Road near Upfield Station and right across the road is the massive Ford factory, sadly about to close. The train line does go on after Upfield as a single track with a number of sidings for freight to be loaded and then joins the dual gauge mainline north.

There was much graffiti observed on our return.


Ideal Dreams?


Oh dear.


Whatever this was at Brunswick, it appears to be closed.


Train interiors are not immune from graffiti. Sydney is presently trialling a train paint that sends an electronic signal if spray can paint is detected. A central point is alerted, the onboard camera views examined and the offenders nabbed a station or two later.


About That Mess.


Back in town.


A shabby building in the foreground, but I seem to recall it won't be demolished.


You would not believe how close the trains go to this building, almost rendering the balconies unusable. The trains are on viaducts though, and so travelling quite slowly. I hope they have double glazing.


Some fish at the aquarium are featured.


The Immigration Museum, formerly a customs house. Across the way is the river, and the old ship turning basin when goods were delivered by ship right into the city.


Probably an old pub. I feel I should know something about the building, but I can't remember.


Ah, back to civilisation, Flinders Street Station is sight.


25 comments:

  1. Thank you for the colourful tour! The building in the second photo is certainly striking; perhaps they let the many graffiti artists have a go at it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, perhaps graffiti will be the next building exterior decoration. Some would suggest it may be an improvement.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy your photo journeys. It shows the good and the bad parts of the city. I hate graffiti and anything they can do to bring it under control would be fine by me. I thought you were going to say they had developed a way of giving someone an electric shock via the paint spray. Not a bad idea eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent idea Fun60, zap them. I vividly remember my disappointment when entering Paris by train, because of the graffiti. I don't recall London being so bad but I guess it depends where you are travelling.

      Delete
  3. That was an enjoyable train ride. Lots to see. Some of that graffiti was just ok...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, some of the mural type work is ok, but how I hate the tagging.

      Delete
  4. Well you knew that I'd enjoy your rail journey didn't you Andrew? Sadly, the world over graffiti artists know that they have a captive audience with rail passengers and property along lines is always targeted. It drives me mad. Is rail travel expensive for you? What would that trip cost - $12 return?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy train travel Craig but we do have more interesting and pretty lines than that one. If we were on the tram to return home within two hours of boarding the tram to get to the station, it would be $3.76. That is quite possible but I expect we went to some shops in town, so it would have cost a day ticket, $7.52 which can be used on trams, trains and buses all over suburban Melbourne, a distance across of over 100 km. Sounds ok? It is not ok though to pay $3.76 to travel 300 metres from one tram stop to another or one train station distance.

      Delete
    2. A bargain I'd say. As you know, our rail travel is very expensive. A day return from our village to any point in the Glasgow area (40km) or so including any change of trains at central station is £8. Ouch.

      Delete
  5. The Immigration Museum, formerly a customs house as you note, is well worth a proper visit. The customs house architecture is fascinating and the displays are really well curated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, we've been to the Immigration Museum a few times. Last time I did not go, but R took Little Jo who enjoyed the visit.

      Delete
  6. Nice trip. I got out my old map of Melbourne and suburbs but couldn't find Upfield, the map is probably too old, I found Broadmeadows.
    Some of those old buildings look nice, I don't like that Docklands building decoration though. And those glass flats right beside the rail line, I don't think I could ever live in such a place.
    I've been meaning to get out and take a train trip or two with my camera, but I'm a bit worried about landing in an unfamiliar place and being stranded on a cold and lonely station waiting for a train home.
    Shame about the graffiti inside the train, I don't think I've seen any of that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes a careful check of train times first, especially for the return journey is a good idea, or make sure where you end up is interesting to hang around for a while. As fast as the graffiti in trains is cleaned, more appears, along with glass etching. You are indeed fortunate if your trains don't have graffiti. Google maps is the easiest way to check maps, but I should think Upfield train station would be marked on any map, even old ones.

      Delete
    2. We get the glass etching, sometimes on buses too, but less now that most buses have video recording.

      Delete
  7. Andrew, personally I have had mixed feelings about the murals. They are bad and good ones. Your journey to covilisation is interesting and free from my point of view...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, unfortunately we can't choose what people paint.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for that trip. Unlike River, I do like that Docklands mural. Quirky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I wish I could passionately about it but truth be told, I just don't care. It is kind of interesting.

      Delete
  9. aaah, my old train line. The building at Brunswick Station is the Railway Hotel. Or used to be.
    I miss racing the trains along the bike path!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and there used to be so much great graffiti along the line, I've got lots of pics of it somewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, no surprise that it was the Railway Hotel. Yes, you did live in that neck. Remember the building collapsing into the hole next door. I forget how long I have known some people.

      Delete
  11. The architect who designed the 'abstract art' building also designed the commercial tower that is coming up next to my apartment. We will soon lose our view out west ;-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AD Rad, that is a shame but I guess you knew it would happen at some point.

      Delete
  12. Yikes! That must be a little/lot unnerving to have trains hurtling past so close to the balconies Andrew, a bit like like having a house near an airport flight pattern :) I think the sight of Flinders Station coming into view must be rather special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, probably no fast than 20 km/h, so not exactly hurtling but it does give good colour. If I've been in the country for more than a day trip or overseas, I am always pleased when I return and see the first tram electric wires.

      Delete