Sunday, May 31, 2015

Sunday Selections

Sunday selections. See River's and Elephant's Child's respectively here and here. My photos are very random this week.

Why are there containers in the City Square?


It seems to be an architecture exhibition. This is a school in the outer suburb of Dallas. I wonder if kids like it?


Sooner or later this construction opposite the Highrise must stop going up. It is higher still now and they are running out of crane height.


The beginning of the pea and ham soup a couple of weeks ago. I forgot to take any more photos. It was delicious. Half is in the freezer for another meal.


R has nagged me about buying new bedding for a while and I have resisted. He has three sets for his bed. I only have one, so when it washed, it is back on the bed the same day. As soon as I saw it, I liked this and it was incredibly cheap at a 'seconds' type place. It is my third set with Chinese writing. There is a slight Asian theme in my bedroom. Instead of showing it all nicely made, this is what it looked like after I arose in the morning. The not quite black fitted sheet is going to be replaced soon.Not sure which photo to use, so here are both.



Ah, here is why it was so cheap, as I noticed a day or two later. It has pulled thread.


New apartment building near our local shops in Chatham Street, Prahran.


Odd yellow bit at the end.


This car turned heads in Chapel Street, mainly because it was so noisy. I was hoping for an explosive backfire, but I was left disappointed.



Little Jo chose these flowers. Obviously they are dyed or something. Two weeks later, they are still going.


An HT or HK Holden Kingswod, made by General Motors Holden in around 1968. Good and quite original condition.


Weird. The plastic container came out of the dishwasher in a normal manner, but what happened to the lid? It had completely distorted and the plastic became transparent. Never happened before.


The PVR remote on your right started to fail with buttons starting to require multiple pressings for anything to happen and the on/off stopped working ages ago. We looked at buying a universal remote, but decided to buy the branded replacement. It is a much better remote to use. $66 including postage from Topfield.


Earlier in the morning a Currawong stopped by on our balcony but I was too slow with the camera. I had never seen one close up before. Later an Australian magpie stopped by too and I took this through the tinted glass. The are alert birds, so had I have opened the door, it would have been off. They are very different to European magpies and their lovely burbling call is always welcome to hear after returning home from overseas travel.


I could see some gunk down the drain of the smaller sink bowl. I unscrewed the cover thingy and it was easily cleaned away. I thought to have a look at the main bowl drain too and oh, what a sludge of disgusting fat and other matter was underneath. Whenever something nasty like this is discovered, one of us will call the other 'a dirty housewife'. All sparkling now.


The old framed by the new in Bridge Road, Richmond.


Richmond City Hall. Why are Richmond's and St Kilda's town halls called City Halls. We don't say City Hall. They are always Town Halls.


Still in Bridge Road, to your left of centre, look what has been done to two of the windows! It looks like aluminium. Ghastly.


A train seat with many of our railway stations listed on the seat. Nice.


38 comments:

  1. A grand collection.
    Not sure what could be its collective name? An orgy of snaps?

    I like the blue flowers best, they look so artificial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friko, a mess of snaps, I should think. The flowers are lasting so long I had to touch them yesterday to make sure that they weren't artificial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always intrigued that Brisbane has a City Hall and City Square whereas in Sydney ours is Town Hall and Town Hall Square.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, we go a bob each way, with a Town Hall and a City Square.

      Delete
  4. I was enjoying that until the sink ~ that visual will be firmly planted in my mind as I wash up in future. you could always blame it on my the lighting in the kitchen. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, as spotless as our place seems, never look underneath anything, including the sink drain.

      Delete
  5. I too love the sound of magpie, almost as much as the laugh of the kookaburra.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, a kookaburra laugh is something to sit up and take notice of whereas a magpie sound is just delightful background music.

      Delete
  6. Varied collection. Flowers are different. Like the colour of your linen, brightens up the room. No bed head i see.
    Sinks, can be dirty things and i guess not everyone is like you and cleans them. Lots of nasty germs in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, yes, no bedhead. Why? I truly don't know. Neither of us have bothered since the early eighties. It is not that I don't like them. I did not know that there were hidden places in sinks.

      Delete
  7. That Texan school is bizarre. For some reason it makes me think of a caravan. Just add wheels.
    And the magpie warble spells home to me. So many of our native birds are not musical, but that carolling call is beautiful.
    I may have to investigate my sink. Drat you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, not sure if you are being clever or not, but there is no Texas near our suburb of Dallas. I think the blue/fairy wren might sound quite pretty, but you are right. Squawking parrot types here mostly. Don't worry about your sink. What the eyes don't see and the nose doesn't smell....

      Delete
  8. I love a bed set with Japanese or Chinese writing. We've had maybe 4 or 5 of them.. :)

    Yours is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, clearly your bedding does not last as long as mine. I'm not asking why.

      Delete
  9. Andrew new beding is fantastic what about one for me , i would dream about australia love from cracow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, send me the appropriate amount of Zloty and you will have your desired bed cover. You would more likely dream about China.

      Delete
  10. Since we spend at least 8 hours a day in bed, you should save money on something else and not on bedding. Get the most comfortable, the most elegant, the most expensive bedding available :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, no one see it except for me and R very rarely. It is comfortable bedding but more importantly, no expense was spared on the mattress.

      Delete
    2. Elegant, expensive bedding is something I dream about, there are several sets in the shops that I love, but it would be covered in cat hair in no time at all, plus little tears from his claws, so I'll stick with the cheap stuff I have.

      Delete
    3. River, yes, the cat claws would play havoc.

      Delete
  11. Your new bed set looks great ! Love the Chinese writing. I wonder what it means ? Sleep well ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, not this one but an early one I did ask a Chinese friend and it was all good and peaceful.

      Delete
  12. Those containers look like porta potties :)
    I love the magpie burble and don't hear nearly enough of it in spite of having more magpies than a person can shake a stick at.
    I didn't know sink drains could be unscrewed. I clean mine by shoving a skinny bottle brush down through the drain holes. And no fats or oils ever get poured down there, so there's never any sludge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am impressed that you clean your sink drain with a bottle brush. Our sink is unusual, probably thousands were bought by the developers at the time from somewhere overseas. I am not sure it is a great design if it accumulates muck like that.

      Delete
    2. But it is made to come apart fro cleaning, so that's a plus. Just do it more often.
      A very skinny bottle brush, I bought a long, thin one which was still too bushy, so I cut the bristles to half an inch. I do the shower drain too, but the grid comes off that, so I use a proper sized bottle brush. I need to avoid moulds developing, as I am allergic.

      Delete
  13. What a varied collection. I didn't know that you had a suburb called Dallas. I would have assumed Texas too! Pea and ham soup - lovely and will put hairs on your chest. I rather like the shipping containers. Something to do with an industrial edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, most people in Melbourne would not know of Dallas, within the confines of Broadmeadows I think. R's ex in the 70s had a sister who lived there, so that is why I know where it is. I don't want hair on my chest or anywhere else. I pluck out any chest hair that appear. R and I are fair, smooth and not hairy. It is how we are and is probably our preference in others. There was a time in my younger years where I adored a hairy stud daddy type. The containers did create interest and spurred people to take a look at the exhibitions inside them.

      Delete
  14. I WANT bedding in blue with Asian writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I'll post you this one in about ten years when I am forced to buy another set.

      Delete
  15. I like your bedding, and the magpie too. And that car and too bad there was no nasty noisy car fart backfire for you.

    I have to say this, required by the conditions imposed, I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Don't get a big head, it's more a chain letter, only in the blogger world, where one person nominates five to ten others, in order to accept. The crap involved is on my blog post of today, so if nothing else, you get a blog mention. I had terrible trouble coming up with the five to eleven nominations, for the award, because there's not even six bloggers who read mine. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, above. I like the train seat. It looks ergonomically correct.

      Delete
    2. Strayer, I will take a look but I usually don't participate in these things. False modesty does not become you. You have more than six readers in Australia.

      Delete
    3. Susie, yes the train seat is probably good for your lower spine but seats on public transport are so uncomfortable now.

      Delete
  16. The Dallas school looks as though it has a plethora of portable 'loos out front...
    Try pouring baking soda, then vinegar down your drains; it works a treat in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pour baking soda followed by boiling water. The soda/vinegar combination smells like vomit to me.

      Delete
    2. Jac, why? It is not going to get where this much accumulated, I think. Our drains generally stay quite clean. I'll not use baking soda, vinegar or boiling water. If I have a drain problem, I will buy a propriety nasty chemical to pour down the drain.

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed your selection today Andrew.. what is the building construction opposite you, another high rise? If so and there's a future level opposite yours how cool would it be if a hot couple rented it and you could be all voyeuristic and watch them instead of magpies :) It's possible I might have been watching too many Sex in the City re runs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is supposed to be six storeys behind the historic former Albert Park Manor, a boutique accommodation hotel that may not have been so boutique, formerly a hospital for Catholic priests and nuns to die. Height limits will ensure no-one will be level or above us.

      Delete