Monday, May 04, 2015

An momentous evening out

It was our hair dresser friend's birthday. Our dyke friend took it on board to work out where to celebrate. She chose the Grosvenor Hotel in St Kilda. The service was good and the food nice enough from a limited menu. Drinks were expensive and the noise level with a timber floor was quite horrendous. There were only six of us dining. The honoured guest was late, as she always is. I pondered out loud about her finding a parking space. Don't worry, said our dyke friend, she will just park over someone's driveway. She didn't but parked in a residential zone parking and received a ticket. It will be just added to her large collection of parking fines.

Our dyke friend lives in a two bedroom unit down McKinnon way. She works in the city for a large Japanese firm and has done for quite a long time. The firm was restructured and she moved sideways to an area she did not like. In the past she was in a position where she could have made her company a million dollars on trades or just as easily lost a million. She used to talk about bunkers a lot. I never understood it really. It has been clear to us that for sometime she as not been happy at her workplace, nevertheless, she decided she would buy another Melbourne property, something she liked more that where she lives and keep her old place as an investment. She arranged finance and started looking.

Her aunt in Tasmania died and she flew there for the funeral and caught up with friends and family in the north of Tasmanian while we looked after dog Jack. It seems she had an epiphany while there and has decided to ditch her job, her part time girlfriend and her Melbourne life and move back to northern Tasmania. She grew up in the northern Tasmania town that we jokingly refer to as Smiffton (do not ever look at education stats for Tasmania), not far from the amusingly named The Nut. She is not returning there, but to the largest northern Tasmanian city of Launceston. She has applied for a job there and if she doesn't get it, will apply for another. Worst case, she will move to Hobart. She will let out her Melbourne flat.

It nearly became a bit teary as she told us. I lightened the moment by asking, doesn't the large Japanese firm you work for have a tree chopping down office in Launceston? Its controversial subsidiary certainly used to.

I was taken back to the late Dame M's lounge where our dyke friend told us she was moving to Sydney for work reasons and she did and we visited and stayed with her once. Not long after her heart failed and she received a heart transplant. That she is fit, attractive and quite healthy 52 year old woman now is a credit to our public health system and the major reason why I suggest we should all be organ donors. Anyway, we have been through this before when she moved away, the differences being this time we are all a good bit older and we will no longer ever look after dog Jack.

We keep in occasional contact with our dyke friend's ex and I expect we keep in occasional contact with the current dumped girlfriend. Unfortunately the current is a victim of our dyke friend needing to get back to her roots and leaving the highflying executive lifestyle.

I should proof read this, but I don't have time.

22 comments:

  1. It seems that a lot of older Australians are choosing to resettle in Tasmania notwithstanding its struggling economy but won over by lifestyle and environmental factors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, perhaps a quality of life not found in our overpopulated big cities.

      Delete
  2. Tasmania has a LOT of charm.
    One of my friends moved to Launceston. Some day I should track her down and visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, while it may have been the very nice weather, we really liked Launceston.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, what a pity you will lose a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we will keep in touch with her and it while across the water, not too far away.

      Delete
  4. I've been to Tassie lovely place but strange weather, what am I talking about we all have strange weather now.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yes, you would not move there for the weather, but it is not so different to Melbourne, maybe an average of 2 degrees cooler in Launceston. We all have strange weather now.

      Delete
  5. One of my very favourite blogs is On the Convict Trail that covers Tasmanian history and architecture before Federation. http://ontheconvicttrail.blogspot.com.au/

    I am not sure that he covers Smiffton or The Nut :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I really resist reading new blogs, but he only posts about every third day and I liked what I saw, so I have added it to my reader.

      Delete
  6. I hope she is happy there, and away from the corporate job she dislikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do too Strayer. She does have a bit of habit of changing her life.

      Delete
  7. Snap! I have a friend here in Adelaide who is unhappy in her job and wants to move to Tassie and get a job in Launceston. She lives with family and their house has been on the market for a while, but hasn't attracted much interest. They can't go without the money from the sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, so the whole family is moving. The house will sell eventually. They always do.

      Delete
  8. Being unhappy in your job is something of a motivator I would imagine. But from what I've seen and heard of Tasmania, it would seem like a decent choice, particularly if that's where her roots are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I've been unhappy in my job for a couple of decades. I don't move! What else would I do. I am biding my time for about another four years. Yes, it is very much a family thing. Her two sisters live there and one of them has recently decided she is of the same sexual persuasion as our friend.

      Delete
  9. Many people who go away from their home State often return. Hope she will be happy here in Lauceston.
    Smithon is a cute place and Stanley - a Prime Minister was born there. Love the Nut, a great view on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, should she move, you can be sure we will be visiting here and seeing Smithton. Smithton seems to rather punch above its weight with quite a number of famous people coming from there.

      Delete
  10. Almost like a 'sea change' .. I have no idea what Launceston is like but I bet it's nowhere near as hectic as Melbourne. I keep hoping David wll get fed up with Sydney and they all come home but I'm not holding my breath :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes it is a sea change really. I wonder if she is feeling vulnerable for some reason and feels the need for financial security that will come with a more modest life and to make stronger family connections. It is quite a recent thing for so many people to live such distances from family and it is a pity in many ways.

      Delete
  11. Tassie is good for a holiday, but I wouldn't want to live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I might when it is 42 degrees here and a hot northerly is blowing, but then it is the same there too.

      Delete