Sunday, May 03, 2015

A town tramp

Surely you didn't think I meant the noun, did you? No, a tramp around town, on foot. I suppose this will do for a Sunday Selection post, as River does each week but Elephant's Child may be a little too busy this week.

I walked along Southbank unsuccessfully looking for something then crossed the river on the old St Kilda and Port Melbourne Railway Bridge. It is now called  Sandridge Bridge, Sandridge being a former name for Port Melbourne. Eureka towers up into the sky. When completed in 2006 Eureka was the tallest residential building in the world. By 2013 is was 14th.


Rendezvous Grand appears to be backpacker accommodation. No, it is a proper hotel and rather nice. I will check out the foyer one day.


I have pondered why the Elizabeth Street end of Flinders Street Station has a grand clock tower and the Flinders Street end none. Well, it does have a nice dome. Every so often grand plans are developed for Flinders Street Station but not quite as often as plans dreamt up to roof over the Jolimont rail yards. Poor old Flinders Street Station. She is neglected and badly needs a restoration and some good thinking put into how to make her work better as a public transport hub. She does not need grand plans and to be swamped by some ghastly connecting modern travesty.


Would you believe a public telephone would be useful in Campbell Arcarde that runs under Flinders Street from the station as there is barely a phone signal.


There were once many public telephones.


And a lift for the less abled.


Some rather good work done by a photo restoration person, I think in Royal Arcade.


Myer department store. Pink wigs en vogue.


Now in the South Melbourne area. Some decoration lifting a quite ordinary apartment building.


The other side of Eureka. Note the cube sticking out near the top. Within the cube are people staring down at what was an opaque floor that has instantly become clear glass under them. While I knew this area had many high rise building, I did not know it has so much low to medium rise. The red funnel is to clear exhaust fumes from the road tunnels underneath. In my experience, it doesn't work very well. If you drive through the Burnley Tunnel when there are a lot of trucks using it, your car will fill up with diesel fumes unless you close windows and turn off fresh air ventilation. The only other tunnel where I have experienced this and it was worse, is Sydney's M5 road tunnel near the airport.


In Coventry Street at the side of the Army Barracks. GR I understand is George Regina, that is King George VI reigning. Correct me if I am wrong.

24 comments:

  1. George Rex Andrew, unless he changed sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, you have done your Latin Master proud. I wonder if there is a connection between regina and a similar sounding word.

      Delete
  2. Re Victor's comment: With the Royal family, who could tell? Over the years quite a lot of them have been seriously strange. And repressed.
    Loved wandering with you. Like that decoration enlivening an apartment.
    I did manage a Sunday Selections before himself wakes up and the day's chaos begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, there have been some oddities in the royal lines at times. Pleased you had a little 'me time' as the sun rose, or not in our case, visibly anyway.

      Delete
  3. Nice walk around town

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Travel Penguin.

      Delete
  4. The restoration work looks ok. Interesting the public telephones, nearly all gone. I remember those lifts, haven't seen one in years like your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People love a pink wig. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, the camera did not capture the scene really well. It looked hilarious.

      Delete
  6. yes, I did think you meant the noun.
    I like the look of that building behind the Rendezvous Grand and I've always loved the Flinders Street clock tower.
    I'll assume you're correct about the GR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that is the bank building I posted about not so long ago, built in the 1990s over the top of a Victorian building. I wasn't correct about GR.

      Delete
  7. I think you were just teasing about the Regina thing, weren't you: as in, "Bertie's a silly old queen, isn't she?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Marcellous. Sadly I was not so clever, just ignorant. "Now, will one of you queens get this queen a gin and a Benson and Hedges", so saideth his wife, perhaps.

      Delete
  8. I can't decide if I like the Eureka tower or not. I usually like modern architecture but I can't help thinking that this look will date quite quickly. No different from other cities pushing up modern high rises - London, Vancouver etc. Those telephone boxes scream art deco to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, at last we can disagree. Generally I don't like modern architecture and to me Eureka is just a nothing sort of building, another bland highrise. While London, Amsterdam, Paris, Budapest have not been spoilt by highrise buildings in the centre of the cities, Melbourne certainly has. We had some of the best Victorian buildings in the world and so many were demolished. One benefit from the neglect of our main suburban railway station is that things are preserved.

      Delete
    2. A disagreement! Can't be having that hahahahaha!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for keeping me up to date on Melbourne I used to know so well.
    That arcade under Flinders Street Station used to be a thriving centre of commerce BEFORE THE LOOP. dry cleaner, shoe repair food and yes phones. everything one needed when rushing to or from work by public transport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, still a couple of businesses there, including where I get my hair cut, who I heard was featured in the Hun no long ago. The downstairs record shop is still there in Block Place.

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness. Grand plans have been developed for Flinders Street Station before, during and after the original buildings went up. There were international competititions, prizes given, the winners' plans rejected, new international competitions held, more prizes given, court cases instigated etc etc.

    If Flinders Street Station is neglected now and still needs a restoration, it better be a sensitively handled project!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it would be a laugh if wasn't so dangerous to our heritage. People just want the station restored and the modern much that keeps on being piled onto it undone and then re-invented sensitively.

      Delete
  11. I would hate to see Flinders street station go . Hopefully it can be restored but cater better for modern Melbournians. Thanks for the tramp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, Melburnians will go to the barricades to defend FSS, if necessary, but no one has ever suggested demolishing it, but adding silly modern glass stuff etc to it is not appropriate. The winner of the design competition was paid one million, with costs paid to others short listed.

      Delete
  12. Gosh imagine going from No 1 to No 14 in less than a decade.. not that you'd find me living in the 14th highest residential block anyway.. I'd never be able to step out into the fresh (?) air :) How I wish they would just restore old buildings to how they were in the beginning, with perhaps a few necessary adaptations for modern life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I've seen plenty of old buildings successfully restored to be used for another purpose, including with modern adaptions and it always pleases me but not developers who want massive profits from small areas of land.

      Delete