Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A tale of two neighbours part 1

To my astonishment we have lived in the Highrise for about 13 years, far longer than we have any lived anywhere. I plan to stay here, but Household Management would like a nice townhouse with a yard, a little garden and a pet, rather like our house we sold in Balaclava. The Highrise could almost be certified as a self care nursing home, somewhere where you can live without bother if you are in a wheelchair. The Highrise is very friendly to the lesser abled. I ain't planning to leave.

We get along with our neighbours in our building, mostly because we have little to do with them beyond  a 20 second chat in the lift and our soundproofing is good. Some people you enjoy seeing in the lift. With some people you follow their lead and keep your eyes down. Because we were once on the body corporate committee of our building we do know the right people in the building, the permanent long term owners who care about where we all live, our home.

This scenario did not happen, but R and I could have be sitting on our balcony taking in some fresh air, both with our mobiles in hand. There was an easterly wind, and onto our balcony came a flood of water saturating us, ruining our phones, and with balcony door open, wetting our carpet with a mixture of water, debris and potting mix. What did happen when we weren't sitting on the balcony and the door was not open was a flood of water cascaded down onto our balcony and driven in by the wind, a mixture of water, potting mix and debris was all over our balcony.

This in not a good neighbourly thing to do. There has been a annual change of tenants above so I was well aware of who I might have been dealing with when I walked up the stairs to point out the error of their ways. Yet, I was not prepared well enough as I don't know how to converse in corporate speak. Instead of an apology, won't happen again mate, I was confronted by a bearded 30 year old hipster who challenged me strongly. I declined his invitation to come in and sit down and discuss the problem. When he mentioned that his balcony needed washing, I suggested he use a mop like we do, he said, well there would be still water. It was clearly pointless arguing with him, so I left with my last words being, I am just asking you to not do that again. I was prepared to take it further and having him breaching building rules by the renting company and I knew there was a clause in the body corporate rules about such a matter involving balconies. It has not happened again, so there has been no need to take it further. 

No doubt I sound like a grumpy old man, but the prospect of us being doused in water from overhead, ruining our phones and spoiling our carpet is not something I take lightly. Had he have just said sorry mate, didn't realise, all would have been fine. Now I have real set against smart mouthed corporate type hipsters. With such arrogance I say, how could he speak to me so arrogantly. Doesn't he realise how long I have lived here. Doesn't he realised I know influential people in the building. Doesn't he realise I know the body corp rules. Doesn't he realise how old I am and he should show me some respect. Such stupid self aggrandising thoughts came to me because I was very angry.

This was to be about two neighbours, the good and the bad. I've done the bad and it is quite long enough. The good neighbour will be part 2.

 

36 comments:

  1. Sigh. At least it hasn't happened again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think he realised he was in the wrong.

      Delete
  2. Wow great story. What being my my neighbour? It would be fun . I hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I am sure you would not pour water on us below.

      Delete
    2. Andrew of course no. But my neigbour did it to my friends' children because they were noisy

      Delete
  3. Is it possible we were separated at birth? I, too, have a problem with that personality type, which brings the good old-fashioned Southern (U.S.) 'lady' speak into full play. Need a chuckle? Let me give you an example, with translation:

    Well, bless your heart (Eff off and die, sooner rather than later, like yesterday...) sweetie (you misbegotten son of a rabid opossum and a maggot-ridden horned toad). I am SO sorry I didn't realise you had no idea the law of gravity applied to y'all (yes dear, I'm just pretending to apologise for something totally made up to soften you up for the snark out of left field... the y'all is there to ensure you know I consider you an utter idiot). Why we'll just forget all about this silly mix-up; after all, it only cost me a hospital trip and $2,000 to fix. Oh goodness, not to worry, I'll only need this cane and neck brace for another two months, let's just let the dead past bury the dead, shall we? (Not only are you an idiot, you're a classless boob who is going to be paying through the nose for the foreseeable future. Oh, and my memory puts an elephant to shame... and I will be watching you. Start playing the stalker's anthem now baby. And just remember, I may be a Southern lady, but I have cousins from New Jersey and I ain't afraid to call them!) The stalker's anthem being Every Breath You Take by the Police.

    I've actually de-vulgarised the language, and 'sweetened' the threats quite extravagantly.

    I'm glad it hasn't happened again; it's rude and aggravating and the corporate hipster doesn't deserve to live in the same building as you and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very amusing Jac. I do remember hearing people speak like that on tv. I quite like the southern drawl when women speak with it, not so much men. Yes, I think we will be ok now.

      Delete
    2. Jac reminds me of the 'rude' TV show, Mrs Brown's Boys, where Mrs Brown has had elocution lessons where they taught her to say "that's nice" instead of F*** Off (*~*)

      Delete
    3. If it amused you, my day is made.

      Delete
  4. Neighbours they are a mixture some good, some very good and they can be a problem when every time you turn around there they are just popping over for a chat but I've solved that problem here everyone knows the beer fair does get up till after midday so we only receive visitors in the afternoon unless a appointment has been made, works well and we have no hipster types around here.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, we have been fortunate there, will little bother from neighbours wherever we've lived. I am not going to ask why the Beer Fairy keeps such odd hours, but it is clearly useful.

      Delete
    2. I had to check.
      He did overnight driving to country NSW and interstate he liked the hours and the money, never been a morning person.
      Merle...........

      Delete
    3. Understand. It probably works well for you both.

      Delete
  5. I am on the side of Household Management. It would be very nice to have a townhouse with a small private garden and a pet. It doesn't have to be Buckingham Palace in size, but flats are sooooooo communal. There is no getting around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, they are I quite like the community we among, mostly. I absolutely refuse to pay one more cent in stamp duty to government. Boy have we paid a bit over the years.

      Allan, you are supposed to be on my side.

      Delete
  6. I am not a fan of hipsters at the moment either. There is this guy across the road who is apparently hooking up with one of the ladies over there, and he brings his dog, which he ties to the tow bar on his panel van. Poor dog whines sadly for hours, and barks at anything passing.

    While I'm good with the barking because I like the fact it will scare away any baddies, I am so not good with this poor dog being left out in the weather without any shelter or warmth. It has been super cold here lately. :(

    The guy is a hipster douchebag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, reinforcing in my head that not only should some people not be allowed to breed, they should not own pets either.

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of downsizing to a large apartment at some time but I know that I'd struggle with the body corporate imposing rules on me and, like you, stupid neighbours. I mean really, is it so hard to think "will my action (balcony cleaning or whatever) have impact on others"? We lived in an apartment in Vancouver for a year and we absolutely hated it. The manager of the building would have given the Nazi government a run for their money. Perhaps for us a small block of say 6 or 8 apartments.. that sounds more agreeable. Look forward to the nice neighbour story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, the thing about having stern and strong building management is that it adds value to the building. There are many highrise buildings that don't and I would not want to live in them. It is a fine line I guess between strong management and feeling at ease where you live.

      Delete
  8. Well at least it hasn't happened again. If you meet him in the elevator perhaps ask for a heads up next time he wants to wash his balcony so you can at least close your sliding door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I really don't want to run into him in the lift and have not yet. I will be intently studying my phone if when the lift arrives, I have heard it stopped at the floor above.

      Delete
  9. That was pretty thoughtless and then not to apologise, no wonder you were angry. We have good neighbours except for one across the road and up one. They are "renters" and let their dog wander the street. It digs in my garden and leaves deposits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, remember a former politician once made a crack about how you can tell who the renters are in the street? He was pilloried for the remark, but with some exceptions, he was quite correct.

      Delete
  10. That was not a nice thing for him to do...he most likely couldn't care less. He has an attitude problem by what you wrote...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, attitude problem descibes him well.

      Delete
  11. Grumpy.. You! I can't imagine it :) Still smiling Andrew. I hope part 2 'the good' is as entertaining as the bad :) No pressure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it probably won't be so entertaining as it is a simple nice thing.

      Delete
  12. That isn't very bright, to pour water on a balcony with no regard for what's below. Was he stoned? I've had my neighbor relation issues. I have named many of the neighbors now, like the Yard Nazi and the Christian Flagpole couple. There's only one who sometimes nods in greeting if I go by. It's an awkward thing, to live so close to so many complete strangers. I lived in a high rise slum for 13 years-the projects so to speak, full of the poor crazies and criminals. It was hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I think he was ok. It was the middle of the afternoon. Yes, I have heard of the projects, first time through a Ru Paul song, I think. Some people really don't want to know neighbours and I can understand why, but there is nothing wrong with basic politeness and acknowledging neighbours.

      Delete
  13. I have lived in my apartment block for twenty five years. When I moved in we had very few renters, the building being almost entirely owner occupied.

    In recent years I have noticed a shift with a higher proportion of renters.

    So far neighbourly relations have been excellent. I hope that doesn't change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, given how much tenants would pay to live in your building, I would not be surprised that people are well behaved.

      Delete
  14. Poor dear, he might have been pissed and then pissed and you would have really hated him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I could understand that better, and of course you know I have a kinky side to me.

      Delete
  15. One of my neighbours moved out recently, I'm dreading the new ones!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, give the unknows a chance. They may be great people.

      Delete