Saturday, May 23, 2015

A memory and some irony

Today R posted a photo of me on his Facebook page. He showed me the photo. I look old. I don't feel old but the lens tells the truth. I asked him if he tagged the photo and he didn't know what I meant. He has tagged it now so I suppose it will appear on my FB timeline. The photo was taken during last year's European holiday in Rudesheim, Germany. I did not realise this time last year we were in Europe. I would do the whole holiday all over again as it was so good.

This led my mind to wander and think about a moment of irony. None of you will ever confirm if what I think is irony actually is. I think we were in Wursberg and wanted to buy a tram ticket from a machine and there was a skanky ho with her frog spawn in a pram standing in front of the ticket machine. We had to ask the stupid cow to move out of the way. We bought our tickets, the tram arrived and we boarded. The well groomed blonde woman with a child in a pram had to ask the two stupid fat old Australian queens to move out of the pram area on the tram. Quid pro quo. There are only three characters in this moment, excluding the baby. She did wrong and then we did wrong.

We had an experience when out for dinner tonight that was unpleasant, but we would do well to remember, none of us is perfect and we all make mistakes.

Are you slightly curious about what happened tonight? Let me explain it thus.

Gay men become invisible to young gay men at about the age of 40.

Women become invisible to young men by about 35.

A 67 year old gay man trying to order food over a bar to a  teenage female European backpacker when a young and attractive young Aussie lad rocks up to the bar becomes very invisible. R was furious and the lass certainly knew of his displeasure. We walked out and had an ok meal at another nearby pub which was a bit ordinary in the decor stakes, but the staff were lovely.

19 comments:

  1. I don't blame you one bit for walking out. Did you leave a complaint with management?
    I got the irony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks about the irony confirmation, River. No, but I was going to dis the place with a blog post and name the hotel, but instead I wrote this off the cuff. For what it is worth, it was The Local in Port Melbourne. Where we ended up was the Clare Castle nearby, where R's partner some forty years ago used to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The irony: it's as thick as my grandmother's soup. =D
    Irony: An attractive young woman had some unpleasant opinions regarding my movements at the store yesterday, which she voiced loudly - on the way home we passed her on the side of the road. (Which mainly consisted of "That fat old cow's got DT's!)

    The local police were administering a breathalyser test.

    Irony?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, that comment's certainly all over the map. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. Jac, wouldn't it have really been the icing on the cake if she blew a high reading.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, interesting post but appearance is not as important as soul and character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we all know that in our heart but good looks do attract attention.

      Delete
  5. I think that you should send an email to pub management telling them how poorly you were treated. Perhaps they have no idea how incompetent or perhaps just selfish she is. Either that or call immigration....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I kind of feel like doing that but I am cautioned by not seeing it happen myself and knowing R can be very sensitive at times.

      Delete
  6. Well that was a colourfully described moment in Wursberg Andrew :) :) I guess backpackers work on the theory that they won't be there long and pick and choose who they are polite too, sooo wrong.. but karma works in weird and wonderful ways :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, generally backpackers are pretty good staff from my experiences. Wursberg, funny the travel moments that stick in your mind.

      Delete
  7. Wry smiles at both your and Jacqueline's examples of irony. Mini-karma sessions?
    Sometimes the invisibility factor is a relief, and at other times it is sooooo frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that is a good point. Sometimes shop assistants will leave you alone when you want to browse once you are past a certain age.

      Delete
  8. A gay Asian in a gay bar is invisible, unless the hot bar tender is your former student and buys you a drink because he appreciated your lectures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Experienced that myself Ad Rad when I was with an Asian friend in a jewellery shop and he was buying a new band for his expensive watch. The woman behind the counter kept trying to talk to me about the watch strap even though I was standing back.

      Delete
  9. There's a freedom I suppose in being older and invisible and irrelevant to a youth worship society. I can do whatever I want now and nobody even notices. I can dress badly, say things I would otherwise not say, and still remain invisible as it is passed off as a crazy old woman's ways. However, it can make life even lonelier, the irrelevance that comes with being over even 35 let alone much older. As for your experience in Germany, very funny. Sometimes things turn back on one, and right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, yes, it does have its benefits at times. I don't blame people too much. I do it myself, that is notice young and attractive people but then I see interesting things in the faces of older people. I wonder about the whys and wherefores of all aspects of people I see. I was bit spooked when on the German tram by them coming along on the wrong side of the road and not concentrating properly on what I was doing. Of course the wrong side would be the right side for you.

      Delete
  10. Hahaha, love that irony! Being invisible can work in your favour. Especially if you make a complaint, then the next two days in a row make the exact same complaint to the same person who doesn't recognise you as the same person from the day before. Twice. Then the next time, things have changed because they were 'getting all these complaints'!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, it sounds like an experience you should tell us about. I find it hard to imagine you being invisible but young people can be terribly un-noticing of older people.

      Delete